Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure we've all felt the effects of the dreaded 4-2-4 formation deployed by the opposition at one time or another. Recently I've been conceding a lot of goals in the last 15 minutes of matches and can't seem to do anything to stop this from happening. Seeing my impressive leads turn into draws is pretty depressing, so does anyone have any tips on how to defend a lead?

Defending lead

Well what i do is make my back 4 a 5 then waste time, slow tempo and hope that stops them from scoring also go defensive and close down all over the pitch.;)

On 08 I would do all the obvious.

go defensive, deep defensive line, time wasting but it didnt work too well. The key was turning off coutner attack and after that I was much better at coping with 4-2-4

I'm rubbish at defending leads as well. I do the obvious like Gregor & Jacob said (deep, slow tempo, time waste...) and I also tend to switch from my attacking 4-5-1 into a much more defensive style.

Onething that i started to do on 08 was if my fullbacks had forward runs as often, make that to rarely cos that was one way I was gettin bummed down the wings

Sorry for my English.

When I want to defend a lead and the opponent switch to 4-2-4 I switch to deep defensive line, and turn on the "tight marking" mode. Left winger mark opposition Right winger (But not tight marking) to help the left full back. The winger closing down whole pitch so when the opponent's full back will join the attack he will tackle him. Same thing on the other side.
About the middle- Playing with 2 MC and one DM. The two MC Mark tight the opponent MC, they closing down almost only in own area and the DM closing down almost whole pitch so he can help them.
Also I turn on the counter attack mode, playing down both flanks, slow tempo, direct passing, wide game, and not much but many time wasting.
Also remember that that full backs should not make forward runs.

I am managing Fiorentina, I played against chelsea in CL and i grabbed a goal. In the 75 or 80 minute Chelsea played with 4-2-4 and it worked well.

lol last night i went through my worst spell of throwing away leads i think ive ever had on fm :) contemplated sabotaging the first half so i could be the one to watch an exciting comeback rather watching than a win turning into a draw...

oh n its not really "tactics" but players with good stamina are handy cuz theve got more fight at the end n also sometimes substituting a couple out that are particularly tired though that can be risky substitutions can change things which is not always good if you're defending a lead :/