Defending Indirect Freekicks and Corners and Throw ins

akash777

Reaction score
Good day all.
Since this FM has got out,I have been conceding most of my CCC from indirect free kicks,where an inswinging ball to the far post is usually met with a free header from an opposition player or from a corner when an opposition will win most of the headers against my best jumpers,or one of my defenders with good concentration and marking would let go of his man and that man would have a free header or from throw ins,where players would be unmarked and then a cross to the near post or far post would mean a CCC or goal from them.

For indirect free kicks,I have 4 players on form wall and rest on man mark.
For corners,I have tried many settings.But none seems to work,so atm,I'm using the 3 up top to avoid having them push up too many players.And yes I do counter at times,but most times their players seem to win the headers against good headers of mine,even though stats wise my player should win.
And throw ins,I really don't know how to alter anything.

Can everyone please be kind enough to let me know how they set these up so that they don't concede a lot of CCC from them or from the 2nd ball?So that we can all find a good setting as I don't think it's my team,since I have managed different teams and in all the games,I seemed to have this problem.Cheers.
And I'm sorry if it is the wrong place to be posting this.

@Akash777, Here is my setup but you have to take in consideration that you are going to concede some ridiculous set pieces goals no matter what you do:

Corners (Defending)

3 best headers marking "Tall Player"
1 speedy striker "Forward"
2 players with good passing stats "Edge of area" (to launch quick counter to striker)
4 "Man marking"

Corners (Attacking)

3 best headers on
"Attack near post"
"Attack far post" and
"Attack ball from deep"
1 "Challenge Keeper"
1 "Stand on far post"
2 "Lurk outside area"
1 "Back" and 2 "Stay back if needed"

Free Kick (Defending)

4 "Wall"
4 "Man marking"
1 "Stand on far post"
1 "Stand on near post"

Free Kick Attacking

1 "Back"
2 "Stay back if needed"
1 "Mark keeper"
1 "Stand with taker"
5 "Forward"

Throw ins (same for Left or Right)

3 "Back"
2 "Lurk outside area"
3 "Short" (the ones near the side of the throw in)
2 "Forward"

PS. Don't forget that players with same set piece instructions you will have to change them individually in the Tactic screen "Players Instructions" because the Set Piece Creator or editing the set pieces won't allow you to do that.

Last edited:
Cheers Zagallo,will give the defensive ones a roll.I am currently doing all right in the attacking departments.When you are selecting your free kicktaker though,which of the roles does he occupy?And which delivery do you chose?
And does anyone know how to defend throw ins better?the ones that are played in short?

The Near post corner thing is something that me and my online mates who play almost daily decided to ban from using. (The near post to a ST/CB) simply because defending it was quite impossible.

In our FM11 season I had a regen CB who was 2 meters tall, 20 jumping and 19 heading and he scored 26 goals from 34 league games because of it simply because defending the corner required him to miss the target more then defending it. And any tactic I use for FM12, like the ones I download for instance I change the set up of the attacking corner because I consider it pretty darn close to an exploit rather then an authentic tactic (what team has scored 25 goals this season from corners alone) (and it often shows the true nature of an 'unbeatable tactic'. Infact only Mr Houghs 4-1-2-3 I've found is one that doesn't require the corner routine to be successful tho it has struggled)

SI really need to fix corners for the following games. I think having the 'Go Forward' and 'go back' option was infact a pretty poor design and I'd love to see corners change from having that to something alot more detailed for instance you can put a man to mark zonally in any part of the 18 yard box. And I believe that the Man Marking option doesn't really simulate a real life situation (you see players pretty much pulling shirts to keep close irl where is in the game the Man Markers often let the opposition players make runs at the ball and always are trailing behind) and I believe it's more of an engine problem then anything

The truth is, the inswinging freekicks/corners are a pain to deal with simply because the opposition often gets away from it's marking and is all alone. And I understand how you feel as I constantly concede to set pieces more then anything. You can try putting workload to defending set pieces. The best way I've found to defend set pieces is to get better players then the opposition and hope for the best.

Yeah, I've found the freekicks/corners slightly frustrating. I have my set up the same as the guy in the earlier post - 3 best headers marking tall players etc but then hve lennon out to close down the corner but he invariably runs back into the box on occassions and challenges one of the central defenders t the back post, or modric does. The only way to avoid it is by not having the smaller guys in the box, but then you have an empty box and the opposition pick you off. It's incredibly frustrating and I think is just pot luck. Seems flawed

If everythings set to classic so you can have multiple people in the same position just have the following

4 x best headers man mark
1 x speedy / creative edge of the area

everyone else stay forward. The AI will only put 4 players into your box, your defender wins the header goes out to the guy on the edge of the area and your counter attack is on the way.

If everythings set to classic so you can have multiple people in the same position just have the following

4 x best headers man mark
1 x speedy / creative edge of the area

everyone else stay forward. The AI will only put 4 players into your box, your defender wins the header goes out to the guy on the edge of the area and your counter attack is on the way.

Cheers,I will try all of them one after the other and see how it goes.
But you don't have anyone on the posts? :S

Corners (Defending)

3 best headers marking "Tall Player"
1 speedy striker "Forward"
2 players with good passing stats "Edge of area" (to launch quick counter to striker)
4 "Man marking"

PS. Don't forget that players with same set piece instructions you will have to change them individually in the Tactic screen "Players Instructions" because the Set Piece Creator or editing the set pieces won't allow you to do that.

I keep letting in alot stupid goals from corners, so I'm going to give this a try But how do you give 2 players the instruction 'stand on edge of area'?
My tactic is a classic tactic, but still, when using the set piece editor, I can't give more than 1 player 'stand on edge of area'

I've also checked the player instructions, and I can't see anything to do with set piece instructions..

e350e3ac7848ea896238dac1335f1f6e.jpg

But how do you give 2 players the instruction 'stand on edge of area'?
My tactic is a classic tactic, but still, when using the set piece editor, I can't give more than 1 player 'stand on edge of area'
I'm not sure if you can do it in classic mode, otherwise you have to change it to default mode.

Last edited:
any update on the testing ?

The best defensive corner that I used in fm2012 was:
2 mark tall
2 mark man
1 go back
1 close down
1 edge of area
3 forward

Putting best headers into the box.

in FM13,best seems to be:
2 mark tall
2 man mark
1 near post
1 far post
1 go back
3 forward
or 1 forward with 2 go back 1 edge of area and 1 forward(getting more counterattacks with this :S)

But I am having VERY SERIOUS problems with defending free kicks.

Like whatever setting I use in FM13,one player seems to keep on dropping deeper than my d-line who line up on the edge of the area.And plays the opposition on when a free kick is played into the box.Or for a through ball after a short pass.

Anyone know how to get that guy/2 guys who line up deeper to stay with the others?

akash you find a good attacking corner routine?

I found your last one in FM 12 to be the best of the near post ones.

akash you find a good attacking corner routine?

I found your last one in FM 12 to be the best of the near post ones.

I am using one to the near post.But it works best when its played short,but I cant get my players to pass,they always try to play it into the box,even though it says to play the corner short.
And the player who is short is unmarked.
But if he has a player on him,they pass it to him then.
With the short one,I got around 4 in 3 games.But I forgot how I got them to do it.Not happening again.I will post a new routine if I can get something working great again.