Beefy383

Reaction score
Currently managing my team, Preston North End in my second season. First season I was floating around in the top 6 before gradually tumbling down to tenth. This year i have been inbetween 1st and 4th for the most part, currently 4th with 11 games left. I fear I may end up dropping out of the play offs as a few wins could put me top and a few defeats I could be 10th again such is the tightness of the league. I do have a slight problem with the game as it seems to happen to me everytime that your flying along and a slump comes out of nowhere and you can't get a win anywhere.

Anyway my point and main problem is I can't defend set pieces at all. I have noticed in this Fm edition that alot more goals are being scored from corners and free kicks etc which is fair enough and realistic however pretty much every game i'm conceeding from a corner or free kick and definitely 50% of the goals scored against me are from these situations. The last game I played which prompted me to post this I was 2-0 up at home to Sheff U with 25 minutes left. Got beat 3-2, all goals from Corners....frustrating, yes.

So, what can you do to stop this from happening?
I have a team of average height and I have the match preparation set to defending set pieces.
What else can you do ?
Suggestions welcome.

I realise I'm probably in the wrong place and i'm sure this will be moved somewhere but I didn't know where to put it.

Beef.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Anyone?
lol.
Seriously, getting to the stage where its becoming like a bug.
I'm battering leeds for about 60 minutes, its just not going in then Andy O'Brien pops up 1-0 at the other end....from a corner.
Surely its not just me having this problem.

have you not tried simply investing in some taller players ? sounds easy but its quite effective , i had the same problem with arsenal, so i had to invest in mertersacker and zigic and bring zigic back for corners solved my problem :) or just bring all your players back around the box :) worth a try maybe?

To answer those questions I've got Clayton Mcdonald at Centre Back 6.6 and quite a few other tall players. I bring everyone back for set pieces because of how many goals go in from them and its seriously getting worse. 2 in my current game conceeded. 1 in each of the last two games. Its getting to the stage where I feel like its a bug.

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

To compound my misery, just wrote a long paragraph on here. Pressed back half way through. So thats deleted. Basically, far too frustrating now, second season on the trot i've dropped out of the promotion race after about 34 games. I was first this time going into the final stretch, then i just start getting beat every game for no reason. The same thing happened to me in another save with Portsmouth, Its as if they don't want any teams who we're not predicted to go up to actually go up. And along the way to make it worse, you've got the nightmare that I can't get rid of of conceeding 60% of goals from set pieces. they may as well be penalties tbh. And thats with every man back in the box.

Getting to the stage where I don't want to carry on next season. I like a challenge and if i'd gone from 1st to 6th then I wouldn't mind so much. But first to 11th in twelve games its beyond a challenge!

Any tips on defending set pieces?