FM15

Reaction score
Someone tell me how to ******* defend, concede about 4 a game, tried a few tactics and it doesnt work, i have good players and came 12th but still conceded the most in the league, this season its even worse i need help

What's your tactic, and for how many games have you run it? We can't know without knowing what team you are, how many you have at the back, whether you have midfielders set to defensive roles, your team mentality and shape, your instructions, how fluid the tactic is, and what your OIs are. If you throw men forward, you'll be leaky. You need good players to give more thought to stopping the opposition rather than helping you, one central midfielder or DMC must be primarily defensive, and don't throw your full-backs too far forward until you have better team morale. Look to see where you lose possession, and fix that combination of player roles. If the other team walks through you, see what narrower or wider instructions do. The same applies to closing down or not.

You will need to give more information if you want help mate, team, players, formation, mentality etc. the more you can tell us the more insight we might have.
To be honest i am having a similar problem though no where near that bad. Think this year more thought needs to be put into how you organise your defence then ever before.

I have tried a lot of formations, they have all been 4 at the back, the main one used though was 4231 with wingers and they were CMs not DMs, I had it on attacking, full backs support, defensive box to box, advanced playmaker, inside forwards, shadow striker, complete forward, lower tempo, pass into space, retain possession, close down more, tight marking, get stuck in, play out of defence, tried for about 40 games and conceded at least 2 in about 30 of them, all my defenders are good/leading prem ones too

also tried a counter 4222, this didnt help

You will need to give more information if you want help mate, team, players, formation, mentality etc. the more you can tell us the more insight we might have.
To be honest i am having a similar problem though no where near that bad. Think this year more thought needs to be put into how you organise your defence then ever before.
I have tried a lot of formations, they have all been 4 at the back, the main one used though was 4231 with wingers and they were CMs not DMs, I had it on attacking, full backs support, defensive box to box, advanced playmaker, inside forwards, shadow striker, complete forward, lower tempo, pass into space, retain possession, close down more, tight marking, get stuck in, play out of defence, tried for about 40 games and conceded at least 2 in about 30 of them, all my defenders are good/leading prem ones too

What's your tactic, and for how many games have you run it? We can't know without knowing what team you are, how many you have at the back, whether you have midfielders set to defensive roles, your team mentality and shape, your instructions, how fluid the tactic is, and what your OIs are. If you throw men forward, you'll be leaky. You need good players to give more thought to stopping the opposition rather than helping you, one central midfielder or DMC must be primarily defensive, and don't throw your full-backs too far forward until you have better team morale. Look to see where you lose possession, and fix that combination of player roles. If the other team walks through you, see what narrower or wider instructions do. The same applies to closing down or not.

First thing i notice is that you are leaving your centre backs exposed. Try changing one of your midfielders to a more defensive role deep lying playmaker (defend) or the like. Alternatively you could swap your shadow striker for an anchorman/halfback.
You also have a lot of team instructions, i try to keep things as simple as possible to start with & then add/change depending on how the game unfolds. No use playing a high defensivr line & closing down a lot if the opposition are playing long balls in behind you etc.
Also attacking mentality, so your players arent that focused on defending to start with. Best i can do i'm afraid.

In a 4231 you have four out and out attackers, so the two CMs look to be too advanced when you lose possession unless they are defensive and support respectively. DMs might be worth a try, but a better thought might be to have the two play safer less risky passes. Inside forwards will do nothing to stop each of the full-backs of your opponent getting forward. I'd recommend one being an IF with your full-back behind him being set to defensive. The other FB could be support, but have a winger support ion front of him.

Try control mentality, and either increase the tempo or switch off pass into space. I've never seen both work together, and never seen pass into space work when your team dominates possession.