Fragnat

Reaction score
What kind of instructions do you issue to your defenders when you play a high line? I do really well attacking but my defense is sloppy. I play arsenal btw

Im really struggling with a high line too. Currently working on a Total Football tactic and going forward its working well but defensively its poor. One ball through the middle and Im finished. Quite frustrating really.

Im really struggling with a high line too. Currently working on a Total Football tactic and going forward its working well but defensively its poor. One ball through the middle and Im finished. Quite frustrating really.
Total football is a very risky game. How are you creating a total football tactic? I loved to master it, but it seems literally impossible to create in FM due to the engine. The main aspects of the philosophy is not available!

Its still very much a work in progress. The framework is a very fluid, attacking 433. Im experimenting with player roles. Ive watched a few videos on you tube and the nearest thing to the Cruyff role is the f9. Wingers stay wide full backs overlap, ball playing defenders. At the minute I'm using a regista behind a BBM and att CM. I know it doesnt sound very solid but surprisingly it is apart from the high line thing. The key is movement. I use a slow tempo and default passing to allow players time to move into position. High expression and roaming. Basically anything that encourages movement. Like I say, a work in progress but not too bad so far.

In response to the original thread Ive found that playing a high line but easing back on closing down, tackling and marking seeks a little more solid as when a ball is played over or through instead of attacking it your defensive line drops off a bit and sometimes beats an attacker to it.

I have found that using close something in the WB gives a lot of defense safety. Also, playing with a DMC helps a lot.

Its still very much a work in progress. The framework is a very fluid, attacking 433. Im experimenting with player roles. Ive watched a few videos on you tube and the nearest thing to the Cruyff role is the f9. Wingers stay wide full backs overlap, ball playing defenders. At the minute I'm using a regista behind a BBM and att CM. I know it doesnt sound very solid but surprisingly it is apart from the high line thing. The key is movement. I use a slow tempo and default passing to allow players time to move into position. High expression and roaming. Basically anything that encourages movement. Like I say, a work in progress but not too bad so far.
Hey, yeah but that's more of a regular possession tactic. Total football is a complete philosophy that can't be achieved in FM. :( You can't make your entire team switch positions and still be effective! In my total football experiment, though, what I have done was a 4-4-2 formation (can also be a 433) with the midfielders with the same roles, swapping positions ( was 2 BBM's midfielders and 2 wingers on support, swapping).

I get my IF's to sit narrow, complete wingbacks (luis enrique, glen johnson) overlapping my IFs, and play my DM (lucas) as aHalfback. Works well so far for a first attempt, because when my fullbacks push forward, lucas sits inbetween my two centrebacks and the two centrebacks spread out to cover my fulbacks.

I get my IF's to sit narrow, complete wingbacks (luis enrique, glen johnson) overlapping my IFs, and play my DM (lucas) as aHalfback. Works well so far for a first attempt, because when my fullbacks push forward, lucas sits inbetween my two centrebacks and the two centrebacks spread out to cover my fulbacks.

Likewise

Hey, yeah but that's more of a regular possession tactic. Total football is a complete philosophy that can't be achieved in FM. :( You can't make your entire team switch positions and still be effective! In my total football experiment, though, what I have done was a 4-4-2 formation (can also be a 433) with the midfielders with the same roles, swapping positions ( was 2 BBM's midfielders and 2 wingers on support, swapping).
Yeah, I get that bud . But isn't that the very essence of what total football is about? Im trying to find a system where the movement of the players puts them into other positions and use that with selective swapping of positions throughout the team. For instance, the use of complete wingbacks who are always looking to overlap, in tandem with defensive wingers who hold up the ball and track back. Or a half back used in conjunction with an attacking libero, a false 9 with a shadow striker....etc.The new player roles in this new fm make the concept more achievable I think. Its getting the mix right thats going to cause the trouble. The positions Ive stated above are only examples of what I mean. I haven't out any of it into practice yet. Just tossing ideas around. I managed to achieve something like in FM13. Going forward it was superb but defensively it was a shambles. 5-5 draws were not uncommon!

Yeah, I get that bud . But isn't that the very essence of what total football is about? Im trying to find a system where the movement of the players puts them into other positions and use that with selective swapping of positions throughout the team. For instance, the use of complete wingbacks who are always looking to overlap, in tandem with defensive wingers who hold up the ball and track back. Or a half back used in conjunction with an attacking libero, a false 9 with a shadow striker....etc.The new player roles in this new fm make the concept more achievable I think. Its getting the mix right thats going to cause the trouble. The positions Ive stated above are only examples of what I mean. I haven't out any of it into practice yet. Just tossing ideas around. I managed to achieve something like in FM13. Going forward it was superb but defensively it was a shambles. 5-5 draws were not uncommon!
I made an experiment in fm31 where i allowed complete freedom for roaming, every role was instructed to roam. Needless to say the results were frankestienish, i dont want to remember that. :p good luck mate!