mantpro

Banned
Reaction score
I have a problem with mi defense guys.. Im at Man City at the second season an that my defense

Renan-----------Otamendi------------Jorgensen-----------Vargas

My defenders are plenty good but they seem to be very stupid, y use a 4-2-2-2 tactic and put the defensive line up .. i put Otamendi and Jorgensen both in a classic defender cover role y put them to cover the zone and not to mark a man, and i put them not to go far than our area to press but they still one of them go to press instead of stay with her companion, that way my rivals make lot´s of goal by with a single ******* pass between the lines.

What can i do for them to just keep together and wait for her companions to get the ball back ?

I have a problem with mi defense guys.. Im at Man City at the second season an that my defense

Renan-----------Otamendi------------Jorgensen-----------Vargas

My defenders are plenty good but they seem to be very stupid, y use a 4-2-2-2 tactic and put the defensive line up .. i put Otamendi and Jorgensen both in a classic defender cover role y put them to cover the zone and not to mark a man, and i put them not to go far than our area to press but they still one of them go to press instead of stay with her companion, that way my rivals make lot´s of goal by with a single ******* pass between the lines.

What can i do for them to just keep together and wait for her companions to get the ball back ?

The "closing down" - "own area" is a bit of a misnomer. What generally happens is your player will close down X number of notches along the slider where X = the number from far left you have moved it.

So, for example, if you have closing down set to 'own area' one notch off "own half" then the player will close down any player that comes within that number of spaces from his default starting position (in this case - your defensive line setting).

The tactics sliders start at 0 and go to 20, 'own area' goes to 6 on that slider and 20 would be 'whole pitch'. My CB's are set to close down 7 notches (own half) and although there are the odd times where a good through ball beats them, (which is to be expected ;) ), normally, they're fine.

Your overall closing down - i.e. the accumulative effect of all 11 players on the pitch, should cover all areas of the pitch that you want to press the opposition in. If you have them all set correctly then your problems will decrease (good players will always be able to find ways around your tactics!). I wonder if you might be better served INCREASING your CB's closing down (but without actually seeing your tactic in action it's only a guess..)

I suggest watching a whole game and taking note of players that go too far from their starting position for your liking when closing down and also when a player doesn't close down when you would normally expect them to... by then changing their settings in the tactics you will, eventually, find the best settings for your team/tactics.

Their mentality settings will also have an effect, and again, simple trial and error should help you to fix the problems... test tactics in the reserves (control team) so that you can adjust as the game goes on with no real issue if messing with the tactics should cause you to lose..

Hope that helps, I tried to make it easy to understand :S

Thanks mate, my defense is a little better now ^^

It may have something to do with your formation. 4-2-2-2 has a traditional tendency towards exposure to the problems you encountered.

Teams that flood the midfield have a lot of space and time to make those passes, if your playing an attacking formation like 4-2-2-2 you need your midfield to help cover your cbs, simply having a cm with defensive settings sometimes isn't enough as his starting position mean hes already having to run back where as a DM would be more on hand to deal with the threat or at least block the passage of play/ close down in those key areas.

Thats not to say it isn't possible without a DM but id increase your CBs closing down as it appears they're dropping too deep but also id employ one as cb defend, one cb cover (suprising how effective it can be) and maybe your most defensive CM to man mark to follow the oppositions amc or set him manually for teams that start with a player in the hole.

Like Lazuru says the key is to tweak these settings then watch some matches in full to see where the problems are and if they are solved, be warned though you may end up solving one problem to lead to another, also good players in the right formation may just find a way round any setting.

Teams that flood the midfield have a lot of space and time to make those passes, if your playing an attacking formation like 4-2-2-2 you need your midfield to help cover your cbs, simply having a cm with defensive settings sometimes isn't enough as his starting position mean hes already having to run back where as a DM would be more on hand to deal with the threat or at least block the passage of play/ close down in those key areas.

Thats not to say it isn't possible without a DM but id increase your CBs closing down as it appears they're dropping too deep but also id employ one as cb defend, one cb cover (suprising how effective it can be) and maybe your most defensive CM to man mark to follow the oppositions amc or set him manually for teams that start with a player in the hole.

Like Lazuru says the key is to tweak these settings then watch some matches in full to see where the problems are and if they are solved, be warned though you may end up solving one problem to lead to another, also good players in the right formation may just find a way round any setting.

Unfortunatly i haven´t a DM in my tactic look that´s my formation:

------------------------------------------------------Kameni------------------------------------------------------
Renan-----------------Otamendi--------------------------------Jorgensen-----------------Vargas
-----------Montolivo----------------------------------------------------------------Cesc-----------------------
---------------------------Neymar-----------------------------------Robinho---------------------------------
----------Tevez-------------------------------------------------------------------------Aguero.................

All i want from my CB´S is to stay together and not to leave her companion alone to press, that way my rivals don´t have too much space..

The ME is buggy at the moment, IIRC one of the things fixed in the next patch is the CB's being too far apart along with a whole host of other defensive positioning issues...

If you're still having the same problems after 11.2 is released then you might need to revise your tactics