maxchaplin55

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been playing FM for a few years now, and am confident on my natural instinct when it comes to the attacking phase, even the transition phase. Basically, on the ball, I am confident. Defensively, however, I always feel I lack knowledge, clueless is a strong word, but I could definitely use some help.

I've recently started a save with Valencia, and have had a decent start. 0-0 Alaves, 4-1 Bilbao, 4-1 Eibar, and then I came up against Barcelona at the Nou Camp. This is my tactic going into the game;
View attachment 100764My aim is to play safe on the ball, keeping the ball as we travel up the pitch, and both CMs have PI to get further forward so once we are ready, they will look to make runs ahead of Zaza, and wingbacks will overlap. Worked wonders vs Bilbao and Eibar, with both Parejo and Perez getting in team of the week.

The game went disastrously. We had almost nothing going forward, however, looking forward, I am confident myself on fixing those issues. We lost 5-0. It is not the fact we lost that I want help, it was the issues that led to the goals, because I do not know how I would fix them. I am not necessarily looking for answers, but pointers, a second opinion. I was making notes on the goals as I was watching the game. I will attach the pkm, and will enter the notes. Thanks.

1st goal - nothing penalty.
2nd goal, Messi cuts inside, Gaya follows him, fair enough, however Orellana doesn't track Robertos run, who crosses in for Suarez but ball rebounds to Neymar because Nani has already started running away, assuming because the ball hit Garay and therefore Nani thinks we have the ball. How do I get Orellana to track back? He is on attack duty in AML.
3rd goal, again Orellana not tracking Roberto, free cross, and Suarez unmarked in the box, despite Garay and Abdennour not marking anyone. 8 of our players in the box and 3 of theirs. What can I do to prevent Suarez being open?
4th goal, Cancelo caught forward, Neymar in space, and passes to Suarez. Suarez is in a lot of space despite, again, both Garay and Abdennour being back. We win the ball back. But should I mark Suarez tighter? Or man mark? I worry about his off the ball movement if I were to mark him tightly and fear gaps would be exploited if I man marked.
Neymar ends up on the ball, 4 men around him, and picks out Messi on the right wing, with a 10 yard radius of space around him. Should I instruct Gaya to man mark him or just Mark him tighter? Messi skins Gaya and fires in, not a lot you can do to stop that I guess.
5th goal, we defend fairly well, showing Messi onto his right foot down the right wing, he still pokes a cross past Gaya, and again Suarez gets to the ball ahead of Abdennour and Garay 2 yards from goal. Solutions!?​

Lol there's none against MSN, too much individual quality

I'd probably stick both wingbacks to automatic (or defend) instead of Support/Attack and maybe put one or both CMs defensive (just vs Barcelona) and see how they do because you only actually have 3 out of 10 outfield players with defensive duty.

And still, Barca do just have that ridiculous attack that's hard to stop, but try adding some defensive instuctions just when you come up against them as you said you're happy when you have the ball

I'd probably stick both wingbacks to automatic (or defend) instead of Support/Attack and maybe put one or both CMs defensive (just vs Barcelona) and see how they do because you only actually have 3 out of 10 outfield players with defensive duty.

And still, Barca do just have that ridiculous attack that's hard to stop, but try adding some defensive instuctions just when you come up against them as you said you're happy when you have the ball

Thanks for your reply and advice, maybe putting a CM on defend duty would be wise against such an opponent, but I didn't notice them troubling me through the middle. My concerns were out wide or in the box, with Suarez being free, and Roberto not being tracked, I just wouldn't necessarily know how to deal with those situations! I have wing backs on support/attack because I feel like parking the bus against Barca is a bit pointless as they will work a way through regardless, I wanted to offer some threat (failed anyway).

I feel like opposition instructions or individual instructions could've been implanted to deal with said issues, but again I'm not confident with my defensive instinct to know what to ask.

Thanks again

Try a 5 at the back.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk