Reaction score
Hi

I recently started a save with Middlesburgh and my defence has more leaks in it that a sieve! i managed to finish 4th in my first season but conceded the most goals in the league and have just started the second season after spending all my money on strengthening the defence and I'm sitting last! I can have 65% of the possession and concede 4 goals in a match. I even spend 6m on a right back! my back 4 are all 3.5*.

My form after 6 games
W - 0
D - 3
L - 3
For - 7
GA - 13

Can someone help me with some tactics to strengthen my defence. Thanks

Hi

I recently started a save with Middlesburgh and my defence has more leaks in it that a sieve! i managed to finish 4th in my first season but conceded the most goals in the league and have just started the second season after spending all my money on strengthening the defence and I'm sitting last! I can have 65% of the possession and concede 4 goals in a match. I even spend 6m on a right back! my back 4 are all 3.5*.

My form after 6 games
W - 0
D - 3
L - 3
For - 7
GA - 13

Can someone help me with some tactics to strengthen my defence. Thanks
We can't guess here. We'll need information to help you with your issues.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...tics/350220-looking-tactical-help-advice.html

RB & LB - FB/Support
CB - CB/Defend
CM - CM/Defend DLP/Support
Wingers - W/Support
CAM - AP/Support
ST - AF/AT

Player instructions defence all have fewer risky passes set as i like to hold up the possession apart from that they don't have any player instructions.

I have also just changed my Mentality to Attacking from Standard and i play on Flexible. Hope this makes more sense now.

Not really. You provided the information asked for under heading number 1, but nothing else.

Do you use any Team Instructions?

Which league are you now and where are you predicted to finish?

Why did you change to Attacking?

What's the plan with this tactic? I see your striker is supposed to get goals, but who else and how? What happens when that striker has an off day?

Team instructions gets left to the assistant. Still in the same league (Championship) i changed to attacking as i went for the we will score more goals than you which i will see how it goes soon. The plan for this tactic is to keep possession create opportunities and score! which is working just the defence is like a sieve. Wingers chip in also the CAM, I have an ample replacement striker who also gets a few goals is Rhodes doesn't score.

Just played Sheff UTD who beat me 4-1 at home a few matches ago and beat them at home 4-0
16 shots - 10 on target
3 Clear cut chances
55% possession
10 corners
81% pass completion.

That's the first game done and i hope it stays that way.

You're playing a 4-4-1-1 system.

Think of your team as a series of partnerships: the two centre backs, the two central midfielders, the two left sided players, the two right sided players and the front two. You want players in roles and with attributes that will complement each other. You also need to break the lines - have players advance beyond their starting positions and others drop to create space, etc - rather than playing in two straight rows of 4 with the top two remaining one behind the other.

For example, in my 4-4-1-1 the left back is on attack mode with the left winger on support. So the full back constantly overlaps down the flank and delivers crosses from the byline. The winger crosses from deep, typically from the angle of the penalty area, towards the back post. The right winger is on attack mode, so he's more likely to be in position to connect with those crosses. His role also requires him to attack the byline and get crosses in. The right back behind him is on support mode. He's only going to overlap when providing a second wave attack when the initial attempt to get forward has run into defensive traffic. The full back crosses from deep to the Target Man.

Centre backs. I prefer a Bruce-Pallister style of partnership where one of them is a proper combative Stopper, in the Martin Skrtel mode, whereas the other is a Ball Playing Defender like John Stones. I require them both to be good in the air and strong in the tackle, but partnering two different types together makes them more effective as a pair.

Central midfielders. Essentially, one should be more defensive and the other more attacking. How defensive and how attacking is up to you and should depend on the players you have. I generally go for a Ball Winning Midfielder_Defend alongside a Deep Lying Midfielder_Support but I do change it sometimes to get an Advanced Playmaker in there.

For the front two, you can either have a creative No.10 playing behind a designated goalscorer, such as an Advanced Forward or Poacher (beware the offsides!) or you can go with the Shadow Striker / Deep Lying Forward partnership. I prefer the latter because I like to get the ball wide and put crosses in. But if you have a really creative No.10 who is trained to Try Killer Balls Often and/or is an excellent dribbler, you might want to detail him to provide ammo for your striker.