BrianGabriel

Reaction score
I normally set my defenders (CB's) to ultra defensive with very low creative freedom. Passing is mixed at home, with direct (around 14-16) away from home. My question is, with a higher mentality, say 6 or 7 with the direct passing (away from home) would it give better long balls towards my strikers to run onto? But could it leave my defense very exposed.

If you're at home, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. 6 - 7 for a CB isn't really too bad; as long as you make sure you have good defensive options open if need be. If you want good through balls, then have them play a more direct style and through balls set to often.

How about splitting the centrebacks so one retains a low mentality and the other you bump up a little so he comes more into midfield when appropriate?

I had some success copying Rafa doing this with Dagger - you are vulnerable to teams which break very quickly, but then you wouldn't have the central defender doing this unless you knew you'd have control of the match and just needed an extra player moving forward. Good through balls need to be played from the half-way line if they're coming from the back.

How about splitting the centrebacks so one retains a low mentality and the other you bump up a little so he comes more into midfield when appropriate?

I had some success copying Rafa doing this with Dagger - you are vulnerable to teams which break very quickly, but then you wouldn't have the central defender doing this unless you knew you'd have control of the match and just needed an extra player moving forward. Good through balls need to be played from the half-way line if they're coming from the back.

What mentality difference would you suggest between the 2 CBs?