Byond

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for the solid defensive tactics, I love clean sheets more than I love winning 4-3 or whatever, passed on from FM 2010 there has been several defensive theories that have arisen, even from FM 2009.

This thread can be used to discuss such theories, maybe even suggest some new ones that you have theorized that can be used for testing, some of the already suggested ones include but are not limited to;

The Nike Defensive Theory:

The Nike Defensive Theory is named as such because the formation of the back-line represents a Nike Tick. Basically what it means is that your center backs are 2 mentality-clicks apart from each other, and uses one athletic, agile center-back in support of a large, towering powerful center back. The fullbacks are set at the same mentality which is more attacking then the center backs and central-defensive midfielder. The central defensive midfielder is also a lot more defensively minded then usually are in general tactics, which almost turns a back 4 into a back 5, but the defensive midfielder can also aid in transition.
This defensive theory usually employees a rather high defensive line and can be effective with a lesser creative team, in order to grind out those results necessary.

E.g.

Goalkeeper set at 7 mentality clicks.
One center back, the more athletic set at 6 mentality clicks.
One center back, the towering center back set at 8 mentality clicks.
The left and right fullbacks set at 10 mentality clicks.
and finally the central defensive midfielder set at 9 mentality clicks.

Mourinho employed this defensive theory effectively at chelsea, using Terry as the commanding, powerful center back and Gallas/Carvalho as the more agile/athletic center back to cover.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5x5 Theory

This defensive theory is a relatively simple one in comparison to the Nike Defense Theory, relying on five players to defend and five to attack. Benitez implemented this tactic somewhat effectively during his time at Liverpool, actually making them a very hard team to beat, but on the flip side this defensive theory really also needs 5 attacking players, who are creative and can create chances amongst themselves, which Benitez lacked during his reign at Liverpool. This tactic relies on 5 good attacking players who play with flair, creativity and look to tear defenses apart with killer passing interchanges.

This defensive theory would probably not be suitable for a league 1 or 2 side team, as they do not have the quality up front that is desired for this theory to be effective.

With the right balance between good attacking players and a solid defense this theory can make for a good-to-watch tactic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Libero Defense

This defensive theory is a largely control orientated theory, and is similar to that of the other theories but the main difference is that there is one center-back who joins in and pushes forward for attacking and transition purposes. For example, Fabio Capello implements this tactic with the England National Team, thinking towards Rio Ferdinand and his runs and passes which initiate counter attacks, this tactic uses a much more deeper line then that of the Nike Defense Theory and suits a team more used to controlling possession and dominating midfield, as opposed to a team whom is more muscular and physical.

This tactic employees a rigid philosophy, and also usually employees a deep holding defensive midfielder to help shore up the defensive line in the absence of a possibly attacking central defender.

If theres any other theories you can think of that need to be added here please let me know, or if you have you're own theory then please post it and give us an idea on how it works.

If anybody wants clearer explanation to certain parts of a theory then please let me know as I wont hesitate to answer, Also if you wish to have a tactic created that implements any of these theories also please let me know as I wouldn't mind doing such.

Hi there. These theories have been talked about so many times but still is very informational.

Unlike you, I'm a sucker of attack. I can score 4 or 5 and don't mind conceded 3 or 2. but lately due to high demand I'm beginning to have concern on my defense as well.

I have, repeteadly, tried to apply the nike defense system but never worked as it is 'hyped' to be by most people. Other than the mentality itself, does the zonal as well as closing down must be set up in a certain way?

I mean like the 'tower' defender have lower closing down than the 'athletic' defender, while the full back have high closing down or whatever.

Cheers

you really don't want your athletic defender closing down too much as he will be sweeping behind your tower defender, whereas you don't want your tower defender closing down too much either as it will pull him out of position.

i'd set your tower defenders closing down higher then that of you're athletic defender but don't set it too high. set your closing down higher for your central defensive midfielder as he'll be the first line of defense.

fullbacks closing down should be fairly average. not too high as they should be more advanced and attacking.

Okay so here is what I'm thinking.

'towering' defender is at the first notch of own area, and 'athletic' is two clicks behind it.
my fullbacks are at somewhere in the middle (or maybe +1 or 2 clicks)
and my defensive midf is at the fist notch of whole pitch.

and how about the marking?

currently i have 2 zonal marking central defender and my fullbacks are on man marking as I'm having major trouble handling wingers who can delivery good crosses.

I have no idea what your tactic looks like, but just basically try out

your towering defender having around 6 clicks in, your athletic having 4 clicks in. give or take 1 however you please. but thats roughly.

your fullbacks should have like 7 or 8 clicks in.
and you're central defensive midfielder should be half way. so like 10/11 clicks in.

set you're center backs to zonal marking, your fullbacks to man marking - if you're having trouble with wingers. make sure they have tight marking on if they are man marking :)

i'm in the process of constructing a very good defensive tactic. working on it a lot and won't release until i feel its right :p

ohh okay imma try that. thanks again on your help.

hopefully i can finally be able to solve my defensive issues.

and btw, here is my tactic. it's a 4-1-2-2-1 formation. :)

Good luck on your defensive tactic.

Cheers

I usually use the Nike defence and include an anchorman or two as well. The anchormen hassle opponents and pass the directly to essentially four counterattacking midfielders and attackers.