What specifically are defensive wingers? What do they do?

I'm guessing that Gareth Bale might work as a defensive winger. Not much players that plays as defensive winger, but might be worth taking a look at wingbacks that are able to play as a winger aswell. They will certainly be able to play as a defensive winger.

Isaac Cofie, Gareth Bale, Kiko Femenia and almost all Juve wingers. I use defensive wingers as I often use 3-5-2 tactics and I find your best bet is to buy a young winger (younger than 21) and as long as his work rate is already fairly high buy him regardless of his defensive stats unless they're really low and retrain him to increase them, Rather than buying a ready made one.

Use wing backs:

Best one is CORCHIA but he's expensive.

Clyne (free 2nd/3rd season)
Femenia
Lucas Digne

Using all four in my MONACO save occasionally as wingers

I use defensive wingers in all my tactics, but they don't actually need to be good at tackling, just look out for high work rate, stamina and being quick helps! :)

Azpilicueta

He's a real ******* of a player. He does throw ins and he always seems to throw them long and at the heart of your defence. Very hard to defend/play against. In my MONACO save he's at PSG and I hate him!

He's a real ******* of a player. He does throw ins and he always seems to throw them long and at the heart of your defence. Very hard to defend/play against. In my MONACO save he's at PSG and I hate him!

Yeah come to think of it he's got a couple of assists from long throws for me, 'only' cost £28 million from Chelsea but he's worth it!

Mid age but Kwando Asamoah is solid in my QPR save. Makes the left flank very secure. Only thing is he's away when African cup of Nations comes around.