cryptoparrot

Reaction score
One of my first posts in the forum, I'm relatively new to playing FM (Since 07) but have been an avid follower of football for a long time. (C'mon Gunners).

Anyway, I started a new season with Arsenal but I'm having serious problems winning games against even the poorest teams. I can't find a tactic that keeps me tight at the back whilst allowing me to nick the odd goal, it's really frustrating. It seems I'm incapable of making a decent tactic, I like to think my tactical knowledge of the real game is pretty good but it's almost like I don't know what to change in the game to evoke the response I'm looking for... If that makes sense...

I notice that alot of the goals I concede in the game seem to come from my defence being awfully static, they hold a nice line but players just run in behind them and move between them with ease, it's really annoying. If I drop the line deeper it gives them too much space in midfield and makes pressing the ball much harder.

I've got a team of:

Sagna - Verm - Gallas - Clichy
Song - Fabregas
Walcott - Diaby - Arsh
RvP

That's the usual team anyway. I like this fornation as it makes my small squad very interchangeable, I can pretty much fill the whole front line with top quality players twice over. Anyone have any suggestions?

Before someone just sacks me off to the tactics sticky, I have posted something similar there before but it just got over looked.

Cheers.

I have the same formation in my Arsenal game, but would recommend bringing in another midfielder (I got Angelo Palombo) to replace Song and play alongside Cesc. Then, go out and look for another Attacking Midfielder (I got Ibrahim Afellay) to put in the centre of that attacking 3. The rest of the team should be ok.

Ok, cheers for the response.

More than a change of personnel I'm looking for a way to make a defensively tight team with a nice balance between attack and defence, which I can't seem to achieve, even when I download a tactic. I do plan on adding some signings myself but, as you all know, having the best players is useless without a sound tactic.

Cesc at AMC as Advanced Playmaker (Support) is... :wub:

I've got my wing backs always on defensive duty, seems to do the trick for me :)

whats your marking system. personally i have it set to zonal, but then i manually set every outfield player to tight marking, and its reall working for me, much better than any of the other ways ive used before. i leave colsing down on default. i assume with arsenal, you play balanced philosphy with more roaming and freedoom, shorter passing?

I have a question about my CB's duties.

Is it plausible to set both my CB's to cover or one to defend and one to cover? Is this a good idea? It seems I concede alot of my goals from strikers getting in behind my CB's, latching on to through balls or crosses.