Reaction score
Hey all,

My first ever upload so be gentle!

The anchor man has always been one of my favourite roles in FM and I think it's quite underrated.

All the images are below as attachments

Out of 8 competitive games I've won 6 and kept 6 clean sheets!

The other 2 I lost 2-0 due to the oppositions AM running rampant - but I think I've sorted that!

Opposition has plenty of shots but has 1 CCC maximum most games

Player Instructions:
GK - DEFEND - Distribute to Full backs
RB - FB (S) - Default Instructions
CBs - CD (D) - Default Instructions
LB - WB (A) - Shoot Less, More Risky Passes, Cross Aim Centre
CDM - A (D) - Default Instructions
LCM - DLP (S) - Default Instruction
RCM - CM (A) - Default Instructions
RW - W (A) - Shoot Less Often - Hugs Line is useful but not vital as he'll chip in with goals if he drifts in a bit
LW - IF (A) - Sit Narrower - Cuts Inside & Right Footed PPMs help
ST - DLF (S) - Default Instructions - Chris Wood / Mirco Antenucci both work well for me if winning a lot of headers go big man, if getting in behind go little man

Team Instructions - See Attachment
Corners - Use Strikerless Instructions - RB takes R sided, LB takes L
OI - Assistant takes these - BUT - If opposition has AM then manually set Closing Down for him to always!!! This fixed stopped the issues I had in my two losses
Training - Not sure - Still not fully fluid so still using Match Tactics

*BEEN UPDATED FOR MORE ATTACKING VERSION GO TO POST 8 IN THIS THREAD FOR NEW TACTIC - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...02-deploy-anchor-4-1-2-2-1-a.html#post2899894

BEEN UPDATED AGAIN - LATEST VERSION ATTACHED - TainshyStrydersAnchorAttack V2!!! See post #10 for more details

Last edited:
nice to see people are starting to create some nice set pieces
I will steal some for my tactics hehe ;) (and of course give credit)

Tainshy, interested to see how this panned out for you? Succesful?

Tainshy, interested to see how this panned out for you? Succesful?

Yeah just finished the first season - won the league by 27 points, best defence (32 conceded in 46 games) and best attack (98 goals in 46 games)

Struggled with the original tactic once the opposition started to defend much deeper, couldn't really create any CCCs

Adapted the mentality to attacking and got rid of the 'Work Ball into Box' instruction which really helped (change was made in the first match against Rotherham and used in every game after that)

Managed to get Delle Alli in on loan and he was perfect for the CM (A) role which my original midfielders were struggling with.

Souleymane Doukara was a goal machine with 25 goals in 35 games which I was amazed by because his stats are pretty pathetic.

Signed a lot of young players for the Premier League so first season in there will be tough probably

Some screenshots from season 1

Some screenshots - Sorry for the delay with all this, my post count was too low to reply to this thread :(

Keep us updated with the prem mate, interested to see how it works out. Great start.

19 games gone in the Premier League

Keep us updated with the prem mate, interested to see how it works out. Great start.
It's been a funny old start to life in the Premiership 19 games down I'm sitting 6th in the league a point above Arsenal!

I've yet to draw a game, I've won 12 and lost 7, scoring 45 and conceding 32 (13 of those were in two games against the Manchester sides)

Made a number of signings - youngsters from around Europe and loan signings - Star signing is Alexandru Tudorie from Steaua for £3.6 mil

Made a few tactical changes after the 7-1 battering I got at Old Trafford :( They are:
- Goalkeeper is now a Sweeper Keeper
- Left Back is now a FB (A.) instead of WB (A.)
- The anchor is gone! :'( - Replaced with a DLP (D)
- The DLP in the centre of midfield has now become a CM (S)
- The RW and IF are now instructed to swap positions
- The DLF will now Move into Channels

New version of tactic is attached with some screenshots! (Forgot to add the results, so that screenshot is now few games further on!)

Last edited:
Can wingers be inverted? As in the RW is the inside forward and the LW is the winger? Also can I use Target Man or F9 instead of DLF?

Can wingers be inverted? As in the RW is the inside forward and the LW is the winger? Also can I use Target Man or F9 instead of DLF?
I tried using a False 9 and it did work but my strikers aren't really suited to that, if you have a quick player with decent passing and vision then I imagine the F9 would be perfect.

As my strikers were more physical guys I did try the Target Man at first but found him not get into the box quickly enough. The RW and LW can be swapped, although I haven't tried this in depth as nearly all my RW / LW are right footed so I played the ones who cut inside as LWs

The tactic isn't great since the ME update, trying to fine tune it now as the AI defences play way too deep now that it's quite unrealistic in my opinion, even when playing Arsenal away they were camped on their 18 yard box.

It's been a funny old start to life in the Premiership 19 games down I'm sitting 6th in the league a point above Arsenal!

I've yet to draw a game, I've won 12 and lost 7, scoring 45 and conceding 32 (13 of those were in two games against the Manchester sides)

Made a number of signings - youngsters from around Europe and loan signings - Star signing is Alexandru Tudorie from Steaua for £3.6 mil

Made a few tactical changes after the 7-1 battering I got at Old Trafford :( They are:
- Goalkeeper is now a Sweeper Keeper
- Left Back is now a FB (A.) instead of WB (A.)
- The anchor is gone! :'( - Replaced with a DLP (D)
- The DLP in the centre of midfield has now become a CM (S)
- The RW and IF are now instructed to swap positions
- The DLF will now Move into Channels

New version of tactic is attached with some screenshots! (Forgot to add the results, so that screenshot is now few games further on!)
Is still going good with the new update?

Is this tactic good with weak teams, (and how is it away) ?

Hey at the moment it's not too great, conceding from crosses are killing me. It used to be a great tactic away - was very deadly on the counter. <br><br> I'm working on improving it and will update if I get anywhere

I have been using this tactic home and away for 19 games in all competitions now as Man Utd.

I will post more once I get home and analyse however I am at work at the moment bored so thought I would post from memory.

I have been winning a lot of games and have climbed the league into 3rd position and have won all my champions league group games apart from the last which I fielded a very weakened team due to the fact I had already qualified.

I find this tactic creates an obscene amount of chances and shots on target per game and for the most part I am scoring a healthy amount of goals however the following things need addressing between us:

- less than 50% possession rate - This means the opposition also has a lot of chances.
- You concede a lot of goals - For the most part I am outscoring teams but I need to score at least 3 per game to keep things going.
- Big games - I lost 5-1 to Man City in the Capital One Cup and I have lost to Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton & Swansea (all these teams were higher than me in the league at the time I lost to them).

So for the most part I am doing fine but it seems I am a flat track bully.

I am curious whether I am the only one in this position with this tactic? I think with some tweaking to resolve the possession and also stop conceding silly goals this could form the basis of a excellent all round tactic.

Yeah the release candidate match engine update destroyed the defensive side of this tactic

With my Leeds team as soon as the patch installed I couldn't keep a clean sheet due to the crosses from deep and the full backs being way too narrow marking the CF rather than their Wingers/IFs.

The 'Attacking' mentality is quite misleading a lot of the goals I scored are on counter attacks.

I think this tactic is definitely worse than a lot of others on the forum, especially for a big team like Man Utd. I've given up on improving anything until the next match engine is patched and a bit more realistic defensively

Last edited: