"Der Raumdeuter" - pep guardiola philosophy/style at Bayern Munchen tactic.

iamneallyons

Reaction score
Firstly let me start by introducing myself a little bit, iv been playing FM since the days of CM and since the age of around 14/15 and im now 29!

I wanted to try and start something this year by uploading my tactics and then see where this takes me maybe into doing a FM youtube career channel or storyblog etc.

So here we go, the first tactic im uploading is my attempt to replicate the pep guardiola philosphy/style that Bayern Munchen currently employ. This fluid sort of formation is quite difficult to replicate on football manager so it has taken me a bit of time "tinkering" with it to get it to a point im happy with. After watching Bayern in various games i ended up coming to the conclusion that in possession they attack with a 3-3-3-1 formation and out of possession a 4-2-3-1, so here are some pictures and a video link to back up my research...

Telekom Cup 2014 Finale

http://youtu.be/aMY4TdRqehU

In Possession - you can see once they win possession back this is the shape that they end up in its a 3-3-3-1

IVC0t03.png

Out of Possession - here you can see they have just won the ball back but remain in the 4-2-3-1 before readjusting to a 3-3-3-1

tgKywa8.png

So taking all this into consideration this is the formation which i have come up with which i feel best reflects the shape of the side...

MIeJtZ5.png

Roles breakdown,

SK-A, its common knowledge manual neur tends to push out and sweep up at the back and looks to make a pass.

CD-D, three players on the left side of the field lets the central defender break up plays and also in the defence role allows him to cover for the WB who might not be in position yet.

CD-C, set to cover because the right flank is left exposed so the central CD drops back to cover the right CD.

CD-C, the right CD set to cover to drop in and cover for the Raumdeuter playing higher up the field.

WB-A, provides width down the left side of the field but also set to close down less so he can drop in to create a back four when the side loses possession.

DM-S, tends to sit and link between midfield and attack

DLP-D, links the defence to attack and provides direct passes to the attacking lines, set to defend to provide extra cover on the right flank which is exposed.

AP-A, freedom to roam, closes opponents down, gets out wide to make crosses and provides short interchanges.

AM-S, freedom to roam, closes opponents down, more direct passes and moves into channels to stretch defence - set to support so he stays in the hole and links with midfield and attack.

RMD-A, hugs the touchline and finds space to be most effective, set to close down opponents and generally be a nuisance.

CF-S, set to support so the cf drops deep plays link passes to the forwards around him and moves into channels to stretch opponents defence also set to close down more to force opponents into mistakes when making short distribution.

Mentality : CONTROL - moves the ball around keeping possession patiently waiting for the right opening, lets the fullbacks attack and allows the more attacking midfield players to get into the opponents half/area .

Team Shape : FLUID - splits the team into attacking and defensive units but allows players from both units to move into a transitional phase when the opportunity arises.

Team Instructions - work ball into box, play out of defence and low crosses.. aimed at retaining possession. Player wider, push higher up and exploit the middle.. stretch the field allowing more space through the middle to penetrate. Stay on feet, prevent short gk distribution.. to compliment closing down quickly assigned to certain players. Lower tempo, be more disciplined.. to move the ball around keeping possesion and stick to the plan/tactical shape (discipline).

Qhn5PhM.png

PRE SEASON - 50% match training until the tactic is fluid - i split general training between fitness - high, team cohesion - very high, 2 weeks of each.

Here are some screenshots of the tests iv done using Bayern..

OIyF7jC.png

5Yyq1nZ.png

u5tppAP.png

gL3v01t.png

8f8WyF5.png

oWwkrjm.png

qeFL7Ma.png

mRkmEMz.png

HtOxtyc.png

GGKcYWd.png

a couple of videos of the tactic in action... (BE SURE TO SET THEM TO HD TO WATCH PROPERLY)

Bayer Leverkusen - won in style using "Der Raumdeuter" tactic. - YouTube
http://youtu.be/32XycOIaVaE

Der Raumdeuter_1.1
Any questions etc feel free to ask and provide feedback please.

Ill test it out with a smaller club, just because

hey do you use OI?

Last edited:
Mint idea bud. Here's a link describing his three tactics since arriving at Bayern. I've had a quick (drunkern) bash at achieving but with no joy...

sorry i forgot to add in the OI - the only op instructiosn i use are any wide players to close down including RM/LM/Wingers/WB/RB/LB/STCR/STCL etc basically anybody on the flanks gets closed down!

let me know how you guys get on please.

Hi,
I have lots of question to ask you. =)

Already lol

1. You do not have so many ball possesion of it, why do not you wear "Retain Possession"

i just found that it worked best without retain, try it and see if it keeps the ball more for you and is still effective.. how are you getting on with it?

Sorry to dig this up, but I really like this tactic. Has anyone else tried it?

The only issues I've have is I don't get good play out of the CF-S and when teams are really narrow (packed midfield) it's not very effective.

Sorry to dig this up, but I really like this tactic. Has anyone else tried it?

The only issues I've have is I don't get good play out of the CF-S and when teams are really narrow (packed midfield) it's not very effective.

hi mate, good to know you like this tactic - i would have hoped more people at least gave it a go and some feedback, it does work and its pretty effective when it does.

Have you got any screenshots of your results etc???

Hi

Please, you can change the file from .tac in fmf format?
because I can not upload it to the game...or you can put the player with the instructions of the screen?
thanks

Last edited:
Hi

Please, you can change the file from .tac in fmf format?
because I can not upload it to the game...or you can put the player with the instructions of the screen?
thanks

why cant you upload it, you just put the .tac file into the tactics folder mate.

.tac files dont work since the last patch.

looks interesting. Having the same issue with the .tac files though, anyone know of a solution?

View attachment 806023

Spreads out quite well, won 9-0 but against a non team in the FIFA champions cup. the 2 AF's were further apart than that, but as i swapped roles for them in the 2nd half looks like they were on top of each other but not the case.. Slght tweak on the forward for the 2nd half, hence the more forward role

Last edited:
iv never considered a mirror tactic but tbh it would be easy enough to create your own mirror version just follow the same pattern.