DFL Confirm Germany Get Four Champions League Places In 2012-13

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
The German Football League (DFL) has confirmed the Bundesliga will get a fourth Champions League place in 2012-13. Germany has definitively leapfrogged Italy in the UEFA co-efficient rankings following this week's results in Europe and will consequently get four berths in the prized competition after next season.

"After 11 years, the Bundesliga has secured a fourth Champions League berth again from 2012-13 on," a statement from DFL reads. "As a result of this week's results in Europe, with Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen both winning, while Napoli were eliminated, Germany further extended its lead on Italy in the UEFA co-efficients ranking to secure third spot in the ranking behind England and Spain.

"The German clubs have now accumulated 68,103 points and have extended their lead on Serie A (59,981) to 8,122 points. Italy are consequently no longer able to take over third spot this season.

"By securing third spot in the UEFA ranking, the Bundesliga will get three places in the Champions League group phase from 2012-13 on, while the fourth German representative starts in the play-offs of the competition."

The confirmation comes following Napoli's defeat to Villarreal in the Europa League round of 32, rounding off a poor fortnight for the peninsula after Champions League home defeats for Milan, Roma and Inter.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/ch...many-get-four-champions-league-places-in-2012

Even though it is from goal.com, this is not ****. Its fact.

Now from 2012-13 Bundesliga will get the extra place and 4 teams from Bundesliga will be competing in Champions league. Seria A is really going downhill. Even this season Seria A teams are almost out of Europe.

This is all down to over spending, corruption, relying on one team in Europe. League has weakened so much and the affect is pretty much there for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Shows just how good the Bundesliga is becoming though, it's good new for football imo

If it is true... It is great news. Thoroughly deserved IMO.

Serie A is a more open league now, what with the sudden decline of Inter and rise of teams like Napoli. In Europe, all Italian teams have been a bit shocking this year and I'm glad the Bundesliga is filling the void.

Sad state of affairs for a league once so dominant.

Good job on the Germany team.
Poor serie A, only Milan and Inter plays decent, see the once mighty Juventus fall.

German league is very exciting and open. But problem with coefficients is, they consider performances of Europa also. I dont think that is the correct way to do it.

Anyways well deserves. Bayern, Leverkusen, Dortmund, Schalke, Stuttgart are all good teams.

Good to hear, German football can only really get better. It will interesting to see how Dortmund fair in the Champions League next season considering they had a poor Europa League campaign.

I remember Juventus being lambasted by Italian media when they were knocked out of the Europa League by Fulham last season because it meant that Italy lost co-efficient points.

The Bundesliga is great. So open, Stuttgart are thought of as one of the best teams over there, yet they are in the relegation zone and Wolfsburg and Werder Bremen are struggling. Dortmund are looking like a very good, well organised side and I'm pleased Germany has 4 places, they deserve it.

German league is very exciting and open. But problem with coefficients is, they consider performances of Europa also. I dont think that is the correct way to do it.
Well of course they should consider the Europa.

Most leagues have more teams in the Europa than the Champions League. Take Scotland, their coefficients for an automatic champions league place is partly relying on Rangers performance in the Europa League and rightly so.

I remember Juventus being lambasted by Italian media when they were knocked out of the Europa League by Fulham last season because it meant that Italy lost co-efficient points.
And they only did worse this year.

Very nice to see... Wonder will Croatia ever be able to have 2 teams playing in CL qualifications...

Yeah Dortmund have got excellent young players.

Bayern Munich Vs Dortmund tomorrow. Very important match. Dortmund are 13 points ahead of Bayern with 11 games to go.

Bundesliga tops the average attendance in Europe. Ticket prices are very cheap and thats how league should be run imo.

I personally dont like the Italian or the German leagues .. Bore me very easily :/

Well deserved to say the least, the German Leagues is a very exciting and open league. Also has many good teams like Stuttgart,Wolfsburg,Bremen,HSV,Dortmund,Leverkusen and of course Bayern who can challenge for a CL spot. So Im happy with this decision :)

I personally dont like the Italian or the German leagues .. Bore me very easily :/
I don't see how it is possible for a football fan to not like German football... I find the Bundesliga more entertaining than the EPL, TBH. The Budesliga is hardly boring... It is probably the most unpredictable major league in Europe - with the highest average goals per game average mind you.

I agree with you about Italian fooball though. It seems content not to evolve even after all that is happening.

Bayern Munich Vs Dortmund tomorrow. Very important match. Dortmund are 13 points ahead of Bayern with 11 games to go.
Dortmund have a possible problem though. Weidenfeller is out injured. I am not sure if he will be back in time for the game. One young Aussie may have to make his debut on arguably the greatest stage of German football. Good luck Mitch :)
What is funny is he actually had to make his debut in this very fixture in my Dortmund game because of the same reason ;) FYI we won 3-1 and Langerak got a rating of 8.2. If he does make his debut, I hope the real Mitch can match my virtual Mitch on debut.

Last edited:
I don't see how it is possible for a football fan to not like German football... I find the Bundesliga more entertaining than the EPL, TBH. The Budesliga is hardly boring... It is probably the most unpredictable major league in Europe - with the highest average goals per game average mind you.

I agree with you about Italian fooball though. It seems content not to evolve even after all that is happening.

i agree Italian football was never a sigth to behold but i watch Bundesliga intensively the last 4 years and Bundesliga is very attractive, lots of goals , and teams who tend to win by playing better football and not butchering the opposition

Good to here watched it on Setanta if time allowed to :)

offtopic but really enjoying a bayern save i have just started

Dortmund have a possible problem though. Weidenfeller is out injured. I am not sure if he will be back in time for the game. One young Aussie may have to make his debut on arguably the greatest stage of German football. Good luck Mitch :)
What is funny is he actually had to make his debut in this very fixture in my Dortmund game because of the same reason ;) FYI we won 3-1 and Langerak got a rating of 8.2. If he does make his debut, I hope the real Mitch can match my virtual Mitch on debut.

They even have Kagawa out for the season. What impresses me most is the number of chances they create. They play as a team and play for each other. The match Vs Koln when Podolski gestured 3-0 to Sahin (Week before in international friendly Germany defeated Turkey 3-0), and in the same game Sahin scored late winner. He ran whole length of the pitch and slide infront of him. That was THE moment and their teammates were so pleased with that, few even shoved Podolski.

Klopp is a Top manager. He is the reason why Dortmund are doing so well. Built a solid young team. If he can manage to hold on to their star players then i can see them competing for the league very often and playing in Champions league.

Edit: Oh i see you are Dortmund fan, i think no need to explain the scenario :)

Last edited: