Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_That_Guy

Reaction score

bbc20sports.png

Irvine leaves !

Preston-v-Sheff-U-Alan-Irvine_2282968.jpg

Today former Sheffield Wednesday manager Alan Irvine had released a statement saying that he had left the club months after he took the job, this is what he had to say about his departure ,

' I am very sad to be leaving a club like Sheffield Wednesday but i came here to keep them up and i failed to do that. I have enjoyed my time here at Sheffield and if i could return one day i would but i dont think my job is safe after Mandaric took over, i wish the next manager and the club all the best'

Irvine was appointed manager of Sheffield Wednesday on 8 January 2010. His first game in charge of the Owls was a success, seeing Sheffield Wednesday come away 2–1 winners away at local rivals Barnsley. The Wednesday fans were quickly singing his name. The 2–1 win at Oakwell was quickly followed by another away win at Bloomfield Road against high-flying Blackpool, by the same scoreline (2–1). On Irvine's first game in charge at Hillsborough, the Owls walked away with another 2–1 victory, this time against Peterborough United, resulting in 9 points in his first week as manager. After an impressive spell of 4 wins and 1 loss, Irvine was named Championship Manager of the month for January 2010. However on the last day of the season Sheffield Wednesday needed a home win against Crystal Palace but the score was 2–2 and Wednesday were relegated to League 1.

bbc20sports.png

Di Canio takes over at Sheffield Wednesday

800px-Just_how_cool_is_this_guy%3F.jpg

Paolo Di Canio, 42, has today been named the new manager of League One team Sheffield Wednesday after former manager Alan Irvine stepped down last week. After a successful season in Glasgow (scoring 15 goals in 37 appearances) saw him make a move to the English Premiership as he joined Sheffield Wednesday for a sum of around £4.2m. Whilst in Sheffield, Di Canio was the club's leading goal scorer for the 1997–98 season with 14 goals and he became a favourite of the fans.
In England, Di Canio is infamous for an incident on the pitch in September 1998 where he pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being sent off while playing for Sheffield Wednesday against Arsenal at Hillsborough, which resulted in an extended ban of 11 matches and him being fined £10,000.

This is what Di Canio had to day on his appointment

I am very happy to be here at this magnificent club, i witnessed them be relegated last season and i was very upset, a club that belongs in the Premier League are unfortunately in League One after one bad year. I am here to take this club onto better things and that is all my mind is set in, to gain promotion. I wish the fans believe in me and i am expecting to have a good time here.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Any followers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.