Diary/Analysis/Story of Braintree Town FC

Arena

Reaction score
Okay, basically I have been playing FM09 for a while, and love lower league managing, I've read a couple of stories and stuff, and I've been keen to document how I approach a lower league team. I think this is a good analysis of Braintree Town. A lot of time has gone into this but I've enjoyed writing it as it makes me feel more managerial, realistic. I understand this may not be interesting to all, and will take any criticism, preferably constructive ! :) The season is also ongoing, and I will finish reports etc if you lot are interested :)

Also attached is an .xls file of all of my Braintree players statistics (in the .zip), I found this very useful to make a spreadsheet of the team, whenever I begin managing.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCharlie%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceType"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="PlaceName"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="Street"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="address"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:595.3pt 841.9pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1494177062; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-874999126 134807553 134807555 134807557 134807553 134807555 134807557 134807553 134807555 134807557;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:; mso-level-tab-stop:0cm; mso-level-number-position:left; margin-left:0cm; text-indent:-18.0pt; font-family:Symbol;} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Squad Overview – <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> 08-09<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Goalkeepers<o:p></o:p>
Craig Holloway (GK):<o:p></o:p>
General info:<o:p></o:p>
An Arsenal youth academy player with a good degree of experience and good goalkeeping abilities. However not as large as his counterpart means that he could be exposed against towering strikers with good heading and jumping, and it may be important to assess the opponent’s offensive height as corners could become a bit of a problem. May be important to employ a large central defender to cover this deficiency. Medium training may be important for this player as it is important to keep him out of injury, and not much player growth is required as he is of a good calibre for the league in which we are playing.<o:p></o:p>
Strengths:<o:p></o:p>
Relatively, very good goalkeeping ability with better work rate and determination.<o:p></o:p>
Weaknesses:<o:p></o:p>
Not the best physical attributes and only average height.<o:p></o:p>
Plan:<o:p></o:p>
Starting goalkeeper, medium training to avoid injury, review progress this season. If it is below par then perhaps shop around for a new starting keeper at the beginning of next season.<o:p></o:p>
Jack Soutar (S1):<o:p></o:p>
A young giant of a goalkeeper, aged only 18 weighing in at 14 stone and 6’ 5” high, good be a good solution to any problems arising through collecting the ball from crosses if any arise, as Craig Holloway only stands at 5’ 11” high. However, poor aerial ability and average handling make this size advantage almost negligible. This inexperienced keeper could face a large amount of embarrassment as he is weak across the board, particularly in teamwork and work rate, and seeing as <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> will want to play some fluent football, achieved with good work rate, teamwork and determination, not the most optimistic player desired for a young age. <o:p></o:p>
Strengths: <o:p></o:p>
A giant with plenty of growing (mainly ability wise) to do. Excellent physical attributes.<o:p></o:p>
Weaknesses: <o:p></o:p>
Poor determination and work rate mean that this player may not strive for improvement the way I could hope for. Poor ability and has a long way to go.<o:p></o:p>
Plans:<o:p></o:p>
Play this season in the reserve squad (made available for all reserve matches) and ensure that Craig Holloway is kept out of injury. Give this player heavy training all season and hope he becomes a better player, if not he may be facing the transfer market.<o:p></o:p>
Defenders<o:p></o:p>
Joe Bruce (DRC):<o:p></o:p>
An experienced, well club-travelled player but unfortunately this experience is not shown in his ability. An averagely weak player, progress will be reviewed throughout near friendlies. Suggested to be in the starting 11 by assistant manager but this is by no means concrete. Suggested position was DRC which could be quite good. Quite compatible, good substitute if not a starter. Quite a large player, with ok jumping and heading attributes. Could work well in conjunction with Craig Holloway.<o:p></o:p>
Compatible and averagely able. Good height and ok jumping and heading.<o:p></o:p>
By no means a star, so average in all areas that could be exposed by something such as a fast attacker.<o:p></o:p>
Compare to other defenders, both DR and DC to see if he is a better choice, playing in a few friendlies could be beneficial to assess this player.<o:p></o:p>

Stevland Angus (DLC):<o:p></o:p>
One of the oldest, most experienced players in the squad, yet one of the least influential. Very similar player to Joe Bruce, however slightly better with superior physical ability. This player could provide a certain level of calibre for players as he is what I’d expect the average quality of our players to be. This player could work quite well on the wing with his pace and acceleration, but could also be required as a towering centre back with the ability to catch speedy forwards. <o:p></o:p>
Good physical attributes and a good player to meet the crosses and high balls. Similar other attributes to Joe Bruce. <o:p></o:p>
A poor passer of the ball and this may have to be reviewed.<o:p></o:p>
Plan: <o:p></o:p>
Test him out in a defensive position (DC or DL) depending on the rest of the squad in friendlies to see where he is best suited. Could be a solid part of the teams future.<o:p></o:p>
Joe McGuiness (DC):<o:p></o:p>
Prominently a prospect for the future, McGuiness has a solid foundation to be a star player in a few seasons time. However this will take a lot of training and perseverance. Hopefully, his good levels of work rate and determination might ensue that this potential becoming reality. A tall player, with good jumping. A home grown player, meaning that his experience is very limited and will be tested out in the reserve squad, playing hopefully for the majority of the season. Could be warmly accepted as a fan favourite. <o:p></o:p>
Tall and a lot of potential with some already promising attributes. Home grown.<o:p></o:p>
Currently of no use to the starting team, as key defensive attributes, such as marking and tackling, are very low.<o:p></o:p>
A boot camp of a season may be in order for this player, with reserve matches a plenty and enough training, this player could be great. <o:p></o:p>
Ryan Moran (DC):<o:p></o:p>
Another tall centre back, standing at 6 foot 2 with great aerial ability. Average attributes make this player considerable to be a first team selection for his apparent consistency, however this will have to be tested. A good team player with good work rate and teamwork as well as a high amount of influence. Experienced player also, with the ability to score having scored 2 goals from 12 games in the 07-08 season (which I was not a part of).<o:p></o:p>
Good aerial ability with good physical attributes as well as average technical and mental. A good team player<o:p></o:p>
Lacks great ability in certain key defensive areas.<o:p></o:p>
Plan: <o:p></o:p>
Try rotation with other central defenders in friendlies and see how he does.<o:p></o:p>
Ollie Thorne (DC):<o:p></o:p>
A 17 year old at 6 foot 4 contributes to the already gigantic defence. It is clear to me at this point that we will have little or no problem whatsoever against vertically skilled players. It will become clear whether Thorne can sustain his impressive physical attributes or whether they will dwindle as he ages. He will most likely play the same role as other 17/18 year olds at the club.<o:p></o:p>
More good aerial ability and good physical attributes.<o:p></o:p>
Poor technical attributes throughout and not a constructive player.<o:p></o:p>
Train, train and train some more. Play reserve matches and see how he gets on. His high natural fitness should mean he can train very heavily.<o:p></o:p>
Chris Piper (D/WBR/MRC):<o:p></o:p>
Aged and influential, whether or not his excellent speed attributes will make up for his lack of any decent technical skill will be discovered over the upcoming period of friendlies. He is a very compatible player but I can’t see him being a permanent part of the team.<o:p></o:p>
Compatible and fast, very fast.<o:p></o:p>
Sucks technically, hard.<o:p></o:p>
Friendlies, if no good just a standby until transferred from the team.<o:p></o:p>
Midfielders<o:p></o:p>
James Hawes (ML):<o:p></o:p>
Previous FM experiences have proved to show that this player is in a sense a dark horse. Only a young player (not relatively) there is still a lot of growth left in him, and I believe with his high natural fitness, it is possible that he can train relatively hard and still maintain a good condition without injury. I expect some goals to be scored from this player, and it is important I get as many games as I can out of him.<o:p></o:p>
Good natural fitness and good mental attributes as well as well balanced average technical skill.<o:p></o:p>
Slow and poor crossing, which are both important for a winger.<o:p></o:p>
Starting ML, train quite heavily. Review progress and make sure there are no blunders. Note crossing.<o:p></o:p>
Andy Porter (MC):<o:p></o:p>
Not the best player on the ball, but does have a positive mental input to the teams game. Could increase the teams fluidity but certain weaknesses make him not that great a player. He may see a few games here and there, his security will be determined in upcoming friendlies. Old enough to have good experience and could be a good player for some youth players to look up to.<o:p></o:p>
Good mental attributes, particularly those to increase team play.<o:p></o:p>
Most technical skills are low but some key ones are sufficient<o:p></o:p>
Review progress over upcoming friendlies.<o:p></o:p>
Bradley Quinton (MC):<o:p></o:p>
The oldest player on the squad, and also the assistant manager means that this player is a key influential team motivator and his mental stats reflect this. He has good passing and great fitness although not the fastest player on the team by a long shot. His high stamina and natural fitness suggest that he will be able to played game in and game out without being too fatigued. This player is definitely a strong candidate for captaincy as a result of his 9 seasons at the club, highest influence and high determination, work rate and teamwork. However I do not want to over constrain this player with another role and I will cross-examine this issue with other players.<o:p></o:p>
Excellent player mentally who is very fit. Good height and heading also.<o:p></o:p>
Weaknesses<o:p></o:p>
Low dribbling means that I don’t want him running to far with the ball as he isn’t fast either<o:p></o:p>
Get him to offload the ball to create offensive plays (target man?) due to his creative nature and well skilled passing.<o:p></o:p>
Lee Burns (MRC):<o:p></o:p>
A good set piece player, especially corners. Could be a useful captain due to his good determination, team work and work rate. Also been at the club for a year already and has a permanent enough future here. Although listed as backup to the first team, I think it highly probably that he will be starting on the right wing. Also acceptable attacking attributes. Acceptable physical attributes.<o:p></o:p>
Good all-around player, good at set pieces.<o:p></o:p>
Average all round means that he has nothing special which means he doesn’t excel in any field. Poor crossing.<o:p></o:p>
Starting MR, as long as performance isn’t noticeably bad then there will be no need for a change. Potential captain?<o:p></o:p>
Michael Shinn (MC):<o:p></o:p>
Very average player can see him being a substitute for the player playing alongside Brad Quinton. Poor physical attributes are one of the reasons I can’t see this player being a starting player. This player is good at set pieces but there other, more able players which are slightly better. This player could be facing the transfer market at the end of the season.<o:p></o:p>
Good at free kicks and corners. Ok mental attributes.<o:p></o:p>
Weaknesses:
Poor physical attributes and below average technical skill.<o:p></o:p>
Review his performance as a substitute and if this is not convincing, replace him next transfer window. Play him in reserve matches.<o:p></o:p>
Louis Riddle (ML):<o:p></o:p>
Was, in FM 08, a key player and captain to my <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> squad. However this year he is nowhere near as good. Poor passing and poor crossing make him a bad ball mover, and his once breathtaking speed has dwindled down to being just good. Unfortunately his mental attributes do not make up for the lack of his key winger attributes.<o:p></o:p>
Worse than Lee Burns, but could work well in rotation with him and experimenting in friendlies will be paramount to the left midfield success. A well known player with the fans.<o:p></o:p>
Poor winger attributes cancel out most pluses about Louis Riddle.<o:p></o:p>
Will be forced to prove himself, because currently I will have to give him games because of his rating with the fans, but he’s not actually that great a player. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Adrian Deane (AMR):<o:p></o:p>
On first look this player looks like a first team starter, his good crossing, technique and passing skills enable him to be a good winger. He fits the description of a small fast-ish winger and could work well with Lee Burns as a substitute, or play alongside Burns if he played MC and Deane on the wing. It might be important to play Deane as the squad has little crossing ability which means the height of our players might not be used to the advantage that it could be.<o:p></o:p>
Fast enough and good ball-spreading abilities.<o:p></o:p>
Not the best shooter by any means and as a short player not really a contender for high balls despite his high jumping.<o:p></o:p>
Try as a replacement for Burns, but I don’t want to see this player not playing enough games as he is too good.<o:p></o:p>
Wayne O’Sullivan (<st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">AMRL ST</st1:address></st1:street>):<o:p></o:p>
A pro on the ball, the best dribbler in the team could see this guy running down the wings doing step-over after step-over and nipping past a defender and burying the ball into the back of the net with his high finishing skill. However there is already a let of contending for his positions. His performance may be reviewed in upcoming friendlies and it would be wise to ensure that this small speedy winger keeps match fit by making him available for the reserve squad.<o:p></o:p>
Excellent dribbling, good speed and nice finishing means he could work well as a striker alongside a much taller striker.<o:p></o:p>
Small with poor aerial ability and low natural fitness meaning he might not be able to be a starting player.<o:p></o:p>
Test him out as a striker and left winger in friendlies to see how good he is. Make available for reserve squad because need this player fit.<o:p></o:p>
Strikers:<o:p></o:p>
Steve Carey (ST):<o:p></o:p>
This player is the worst player technically on the team. However there is room for improvement as he could become a lot better if his technical improves as he is tall and not slow. He has a high work rate and high teamwork. Can see this player playing for the reserves and training more than anything else.<o:p></o:p>
High teamwork and work rate and good height.<o:p></o:p>
Disastrous technically.<o:p></o:p>
Train and play for reserves, won’t feature as a striker so O’Sullivan will be the benched striker most likely.<o:p></o:p>
Sean Marks (ST):<o:p></o:p>
A tall player, but this height advantage is minimised by his lack of jumping and heading skill. Good finishing make this player a good striker, and good physical attributes (such as natural fitness) mean that this player is definitely going to be a starting striker. Also a good team player with very high team work and work rate, hopefully this will provide some sort of order in the attacking third. <o:p></o:p>
A tall, young player with a good work rate, teamwork and good finishing.<o:p></o:p>
His height advantage isn’t apparent by his lack of ability to jump and head the ball well.<o:p></o:p>
Starting Striker right footed so would play well as the right striker alongside Williams.<o:p></o:p>
Gareth Williams (ST):<o:p></o:p>
Basically a brilliant technical player, but not, by a long shot, the best physical player. This player lacks teamwork and work rate skill also; fortunately this might be countered playing alongside Sean Marks. This player needs to increase his physical but I don’t want to overload him with training so I will reduce his workload slightly. He has been declared for <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Wales</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Probably will be the top goal scorer for the team. <o:p></o:p>
Excellent finishing and good dribbling and first touch so might be able to beat the fast defenders after all.<o:p></o:p>
Will struggle to reach long balls so his ball supply will have to be direct along the ground. <o:p></o:p>
Play alongside Sean Marks on the left hand side and ensure his ball supply is direct and low as he is short. Decrease his workload.<o:p></o:p>
Defence Summary<o:p></o:p>
All defenders are over 6 foot, meaning that we will have little to no problem with teams that try to cross the ball in to meet the heads of their attackers. Good physical attributes seems to be the case in most of the defenders, and this makes up for a few with not so good attributes here, such as Joe Bruce and Joe McGuiness.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Midfield Summary<o:p></o:p>
Poor crossing from the wingers means that there is little point in employing many crosses, so width is not going to be important for the players and they may struggle to put attacks together when playing on a wide pitch. Corners may be good however as Lee Burns is a good corner taker.<o:p></o:p>
Offensive Summary<o:p></o:p>
No real bursts of speed upfront could mean that long balls are a big no. No amazing aerial abilities from the strikers either, meaning that the lack of crossing on the wings could not be that much of a problem and we will play a narrower, more central game. Focus passing down the middle.<o:p></o:p>
Team Summary<o:p></o:p>
Not as amazing as I was hoping but hopefully a few players will blossom over the first season and we can stay in the top half and perhaps contend promotion. It will be important to see how the first few friendlies go.<o:p></o:p>
Star Player: Brad Quinton<o:p></o:p>
Captain: Brad Quinton<o:p></o:p>
Vice Captain: Lee Burns<o:p></o:p>
Predicted Top Goal scorer: Gareth Williams<o:p></o:p>
Things to review:<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Stevland Angus’ Passing Ratio<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Joe Bruce’s general performance<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Joe McGuiness’ training<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Ryan Moran’s general performance<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Jack Soutar’s training progression<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Ollie Thorne’s training progression<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Chris Piper friendly performance<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Andy Porter friendly performance<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Riddle v Hawes (v O’Sullivan) friendly performance<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Sign new winger<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Try Lee Burns MC and Deane MR<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->O’Sullivan’s performance <o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportLists]-->·<!--[endif]-->Gareth Williams training lowered.<o:p></o:p>
Friendlies:<o:p></o:p>
13<sup>th</sup> July - Hendon v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>(FR):<o:p></o:p>
First game of the season told me a lot about the team. Obviously all benched players (bar Soutar) played. James Hawes came off after 21 minutes with a slight injury. Louis Riddle came on and replaced him with a very convincing 7.3 rating. Quinton didn’t have a good day finishing at 6.0.<o:p></o:p>
However the game went surprisingly well, bookies had it down as a draw with Hendon as favourites, but this was not going to be the case when some beautiful link up from Gareth Williams to flow the ball towards Burns who put away a beautiful team goal in the 29<sup>th</sup> minute. Steve Carey, the young striker came on in the 64<sup>th</sup> minute and netted a beautiful strike in the 85<sup>th</sup> minute giving us a 2-0 victory away from home. <o:p></o:p>
Score: Hendon 0 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Lee Burns (29), Steve Carey (84)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Gareth Williams<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: 0<o:p></o:p>
16<sup>th</sup> July – <st1:placename w:st="on">Canvey</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Island</st1:placetype> v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>(FR):<o:p></o:p>
After the first victory I was expecting the same kind of result at the beginning of the match despite still missing Wayne O’Sullivan. The pundits predicted us to win. Canvey Island looked very dangerous in the opening 5 minutes, but we came right back at them with a close shot from Lee Burns, and then a through ball in the 6<sup>th</sup> minute nearly gave Marks the chance to put us ahead but met the safe hands of the Canvey Island goalkeeper. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> broke through in the 18<sup>th</sup> minute with a beautiful cross from Deane after a deflection which was met by the head of Gareth Williams. More promising moves from <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> kept us dominating. First half came to a close with <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> still on top and looking good value of their lead. In the 50<sup>th</sup> minute, Gareth Williams received a beautiful pass from Quinton which was engineered by Mark Jones, which he blasted past the keeper into the net. No less than 2 minutes later Bradley Quinton positioned himself at the back post to received Deane’s cross which he tapped in to put us 3-0 up. A few players became tired and headed for the bench as I brought on the second team of midfield and Steve Carey came on. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Canvey</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Island</st1:placetype></st1:place> struck back in the 55<sup>th</sup> minute with a sloppy goal from the mistakes of Holloway and Joe McGuiness. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placename w:st="on">Canvey</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Island</st1:placetype></st1:place> were beginning to look dangerous again until James Hawes netted the ball from Adrian Deane’s beautiful corner in the 79<sup>th</sup> minute to make it 4-1.<o:p></o:p>
<st1:placename w:st="on">Score</st1:placename> <st1:placename w:st="on">Canvey</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Island</st1:placetype> 1 – 4 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Duncan McNish (55) – Gareth Williams (18, 50), Brad Quinton (52), James Hawes (79)<o:p></o:p>
19<sup>th</sup> July – <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> v Cheltenham (FR):<o:p></o:p>
The first real challenge of the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> team, facing a league one side, and with Adrian Deane and Lee Burns not in the starting 11, this game could go badly. <st1:place w:st="on">Cheltenham</st1:place> was 1-6 (fav) with a definite win predicted. <st1:place w:st="on">Cheltenham</st1:place> put us under pressure from the start and things certainly didn’t look promising. It wasn’t until the 21<sup>st</sup> minute that <st1:place w:st="on">Cheltenham</st1:place> got a deserved goal from a badly defended cross. We did manage to have several shots on goal and a few promising chances, but didn’t manage to score until the 40<sup>th</sup> minute when Gareth Williams linked beautifully onto a long ball from Craig Holloway to bring the score level. Cheltenham had a goal disallowed in the 53<sup>rd</sup> minute which was very fortunate for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> as it would have been a real blow. <st1:place w:st="on">Cheltenham</st1:place> scored in the 91<sup>st</sup> minute, to clinch the game but really Steve Carey should of put us ahead in the 86<sup>th</sup> minute when he missed a good opportunity. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> had played well to lose by only one goal in the dying minutes. The game could of gone either way and the lads can be happy enough with the result. However, Moran, Marks and Bruce had disappointing games.<o:p></o:p>
Score: <st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city> 1 - 2 <st1:place w:st="on">Cheltenham</st1:place><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Gareth Williams (40) – Scott Brown (21), Dean Maynard (90+1)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Craig Holloway<o:p></o:p>
23<sup>rd</sup> July – Worksop v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> (FR):<o:p></o:p>
With the home team getting the edge on the betting, I could see us coming out of the game with a draw, and maybe pulling a win out of the bag. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> were looking promising in the first 20 minutes, creating plenty of chances but they weren’t put away due to poor finishing and good defending. It wasn’t until the 38<sup>th</sup> minute when Sean Marks received a brilliant lofted ball and put the away team in front.<o:p></o:p>
Worksop got back into the game in the 48<sup>th</sup> minute with a powerful strike and well constructed Worksop. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> had been looking completely on top until this point and they restored this in the 65<sup>th</sup> minute with a beautiful cross from Deane to meet the head of Gareth Williams. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> managed to hold on to this lead and come away with a great result, albeit a friendly.<o:p></o:p>
Score: Worksop 1 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Sean Gray (49) – Sean Marks (38), Gareth Williams (65)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Craig Holloway<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Matt Wilson<o:p></o:p>
31<sup>st</sup> July – Buxton v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> (FR):<o:p></o:p>
<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place>, for the second time out of the opening 5 games, were odds on to win. With a large 8 day break between the last game, all players were in full fitness and there would be no holding back for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> in their second last friendly, with all players trying to prove for a first team spot. An unconvincing start from <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> soon ended and in the 36<sup>th</sup> minute, Moran played a well-crafted through ball to meet Sean Marks who buried the ball. No less than 2 minutes later Adrian Deane had a goal disallowed for offside.<o:p></o:p>
Half time came about with a satisfactory first half for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> but the players still had plenty to do. The second half was pretty boring and uneventful, and even worse for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> when Buxton scored a lovely strike from outside of the box. James Hawes came so close in the 87<sup>th</sup> minute to giving us the edge when he headed the ball against the bar. It looked like a draw until Mark Jones gifted a ball through to Steve Carey who skipped the ball into the back of the net in the 95<sup>th</sup> minute. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> deserved the win, but it could have gone Buxton’s way.<o:p></o:p>
Score: Buxton 1 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Billy Boyce (72) – Sean Marks (36), Steve Carey (90+5)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Mark Jones<o:p></o:p>
2<sup>nd</sup> August – Yate v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> (FR):<o:p></o:p>
The last friendly of the season, and with odds on to win, things were looking good to set into the season with some good pre-season performances. Carey opened the score line after a lofted ball from Moran which he buried past the keeper from the left side of the goal in the 15<sup>th</sup> minute. At the end of the first half, it was quite an uninteresting game as of present. Sean Marks picked up a slight injury and was taken off to ensure his fitness for the season. Bradley Quinton scored a nice volley in the 59<sup>th</sup> minute to put <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> two goals ahead from Louis Riddle’s corner. Bradley Quinton then scored again in the 71<sup>st</sup> minute as his follow up of a deflection was rewarded with a well-finished goal. The game finished at 3-0, the 5<sup>th</sup> win out of the 6 friendlies.<o:p></o:p>
Score: Yate 0 – 3 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Steve Carey (15), Brad Quinton (60, 71)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Brad Quinton<o:p></o:p>
The pre season friendlies were now all over. It was now time to review the progress of the fixtures.<o:p></o:p>
Hendon 0 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> <o:p></o:p>
<st1:placename w:st="on">Canvey</st1:placename> <st1:placetype w:st="on">Island</st1:placetype> 1 – 4 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> <o:p></o:p>
<st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city> 1 – 2 <st1:place w:st="on">Cheltenham</st1:place><o:p></o:p>
Worksop 1 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Buxton 1 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Yate 3 – 0 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
5 wins and 1 loss is very good, and the only loss was against a Coca-cola League One side, and it was a narrow defeat. All wins were away as well which shows that the team will be capable away from home hopefully.<o:p></o:p>
Season<o:p></o:p>
8<sup>th</sup> August – Maidenhead v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>(BSS):<o:p></o:p>
The first league game of the season is the most vital, and with Maidenhead tipped as slight favourites, it was up to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> to show their worth. The first goal of the season for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> was scored by Gareth Williams in the 13<sup>th</sup> minute, a beautiful shot curved round the keeper from outside the box. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> go 1-0 up. Only 5 minutes later Williams struck again! Putting the Iron’s up 2-0 with a similar goal to his first. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> came close again in the 35<sup>th</sup> minute, striking the bar from a long-range effort. Half time. <o:p></o:p>
In the 51st minute, Gareth Williams sealed his hat-trick on his debut, at the far post on the end of a Quinton cross. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> were now 3-0 up and looked unstoppable. Maidenhead came close to a lifeline in the 56<sup>th</sup> minute when they struck the post, but until then they hadn’t looked any good. The 78<sup>th</sup> minute saw Steve Carey have a goal disallowed for offside, but that didn’t phase the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> team as they would take a 3-0 victory away at home with open arms. Maidenhead got their first and only goal of the game too late to make an impact, in the 89<sup>th</sup> minute. <o:p></o:p>
Score: Maidenhead 1 – 3 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Richard Shittu (89) – Gareth Williams (13, 18, 51)<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Mark Nisbet, Dale Binns, Ashley Nicholls, Tyron Smith<o:p></o:p>
11<sup>th</sup> August – Havant & W v <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place>(BSS):<o:p></o:p>
Coming away with the full 3 points from the Maidenhead game had tired the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> players, and with the home side predicted clear favourites, this would be an uphill struggle from the start. The game had lots of opportunities for both teams, both looking dangerous but not being able to get a decent shot away. Havant & W scored in the 20<sup>th</sup> minute with an unmarked strike from 25 yards out. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> got right back into the game in the 25<sup>th</sup> minute with a crowded box finishing with James Hawes slotting the ball past a disorientated keeper caught off balance. In the 27<sup>th</sup> minute, <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> struck again, this time with Gareth Williams jinking the ball past the rushing-out goalkeeper. 2-1 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>! This lead did not last long however, and in the 34<sup>th</sup> minute the times became level following a McGuiness error and a sloppy goal to draw the teams level again. Steve Marks recent performances have been poor, as in the 39<sup>th</sup> minute he failed to bury a 1 on 1 with the keeper. The first half drew to a close, with the score at 2-2, a great 45 minutes of football. Joe Booth put a silence on the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> away fans with a scorching goal in the 60<sup>th</sup> minute. 3-2 to Havant & W. Nightingale came close in the 73<sup>rd</sup> minute with his header hitting the bar and bouncing out to be hit over by him again, however in the 74<sup>th</sup> minute he added another goal to make it 4-2. the whistle was blown and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> would have a disappointing travel home, feeling as maybe they could have won this.<o:p></o:p>
Score: Havant & W 4 – 2 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Luke Nightingale (20, 74), Charlie Oatway (34), Paul Booth (60) – James Hawes (25), Gareth Williams (27)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Luke Nightingale<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Charlie Oatway<o:p></o:p>
15<sup>th</sup> August – <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> v Hayes & Yeading (BSS):<o:p></o:p>
After the defeat away at Havant & W, <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> had everything to prove in this home game where they were predicted slight favourites. A close encounter was on the cards. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> dominated the first 25 minutes and came close to scoring on more than one occasion. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> got a goal, via Steve Marks in the 32<sup>nd</sup> minute, which was a long time coming from this player. It was worth the wait, with a beautiful left footed volley from Lee Burns corner. Williams went down in the penalty box and <st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city> got a penalty, Ryan Moran played the ball in off the post to put <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> 2-0 up! Scott Fitzgerald came right back at them with a goal in the 42<sup>nd</sup> minute, lobbing a stranded Holloway from outside the box. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> go into the second half 2-1 up. Gareth Williams sustained an injury in the 53<sup>rd</sup> minute, a disaster for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> as the top scorer with 4 goals from 2 games will be out of action. Wayne O’Sullivan came on, lacking match practice severely he needed to get in the swing of things as soon as possible. A disaster in the 76<sup>th</sup> minute extended <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place>’s lead, with Allen Page putting the ball into his own net from Burns’ corner. Wayne O’Sullivan had a couple of good efforts, hitting the side netting and the bar. 3-1 <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> final score.<o:p></o:p>
Score: <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> 3 – 1 Hayes and Yeading<o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Sean Marks (32), Ryan Moran (pen 40), Danny Allen-Page own goal (76) – Scott Fitzgerald (42)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Ryan Moran<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Tom Cadmore<o:p></o:p>
Injuries: Gareth Williams (out for 3 weeks – 1 month)<o:p></o:p>
23<sup>rd</sup> August – <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>v Worcester (BSS):<o:p></o:p>
Following <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>’s <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">3-1 Blue Square South</st1:address></st1:street> victory over Hayes and Yeading last Saturday, Jenkins’ side are 2<sup>nd</sup> in the blue Square South with 6 points from their first 3 matches. Part-timers <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>’s home advantage gives them the edge in what should be a close encounter. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Worcester</st1:city></st1:place> got off to a flying start in the first half, at 12 minutes in, Wilding nodded the ball over a stranded Holloway and made his pace count. In the 33<sup>rd</sup> minute, Quinton blasted a free kick from outside the box into the top right corner of the goal, bringing <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> back in the game. A timely season opener for Brad Quinton. Without much action in the second half, the game petered out at 1-1, a disappointing result for the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place> boys.<o:p></o:p>
Score: <st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city> 1 – 1 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Worcester</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Brad Quinton (33) – Craig Wilding (13)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Danny McDonnell<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Gary Walker, Francis Barry<o:p></o:p>
30<sup>th</sup> August – Fisher v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> (BSS):<o:p></o:p>
With the odds against <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>, this could be another tough away encounter. Fisher are currently first in the <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Blue Square South</st1:address></st1:street> league. Fisher inevitably went 1-0 up only 24 minutes in to damped <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>’s spirits. Things were not looking good for the irons. This carried on for the entirety of the first half, and the second half began dull and boring. A shockingly dull game, ended 1-0, a very disappointing result for <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place>. This slipped them to 11<sup>th</sup> place.<o:p></o:p>
Score: Fisher 1 – 0 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Simon Thomas (24)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Simon Overland<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Sanchez Ming<o:p></o:p>
9<sup>th</sup> September – <st1:city w:st="on">Worcester</st1:city> v <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> (CLC):<o:p></o:p>
After a disappointing result at home to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Worcester</st1:place></st1:city> just over a fortnight ago, it was time for them to redeem themselves, away from home. <st1:city w:st="on">Worcester</st1:city> looked very dangerous in the first 20 minutes, and <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> looked weak up front. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Worcester</st1:place></st1:city> scored in the 26<sup>th</sup> minute with a long ball which was then jinked around a rushing Craig Holloway. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Worcester</st1:city></st1:place> had a similar goal which was disallowed in the 89<sup>th</sup> minute after a uneventful balanced second half. The game finished 1-0 to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Worcester</st1:city></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
Score: <st1:city w:st="on">Worcester</st1:city> 1 – 0 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Marco Adaggio (26)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match – Jon Richardson<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Brian Slocombe<o:p></o:p>
13<sup>th </sup>September – <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> v Bath (BSS)<o:p></o:p>
A strike from Marks outside the box, into the top right corner, in the first 2 minutes saw <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> take an unsurprising lead, sending fans into jubiliation. <st1:city w:st="on">Bath</st1:city> got straight back at <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> with a few serious dangerous attempts on goal. Wood exploited Braintee’s line of defence and pushed the ball past Holloway in the 18<sup>th</sup> minute to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city></st1:place>’s disappointment. <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Bath</st1:city></st1:place> were lookin extremely dangerous and came close again in the 26<sup>th</sup> minute. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city>’s build up play and defence in the first half was appalling and were lucky to go into the second half tied. An uneventful second half caused the <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Braintree</st1:place></st1:city> manager to make some changes, bringing on Gareth Williams to hopefully liven it up, despite his condition. Final score was a bore draw 1-1.<o:p></o:p>
Score: <st1:city w:st="on">Braintree</st1:city> 1 – 1 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bath</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
Scorers: Sean Marks (2), Jason Wood (18)<o:p></o:p>
Man of the Match: Jason Wood<o:p></o:p>
Bookings: Joe Bruce, Chris Piper – Matthew Coupe<o:p></o:p>

Braintree currently stand 10th with 8 points from 6 games in the Blue Square South division.

Last edited:
that must of took ages to write but, i really enjoyed reading that since ive been getting frustrated reading all these man city's thread on SOO ANNOYING!

good luck luck on your season mate.

Last edited:
Thank you, frustrating yes, especially with my top scorer and probably best player getting a month long injury at the beginning of the season, and struggling to return to form!

you still playing update?

and have you signed pascal bedrossian yet he's amazing

No I haven't, playing 9.2. Who are you playing as?