Diary of a Season: St. Mary's Redemption

Sunday 31st July, 2022

Pre-Season Friendly
YOUNG BOYS vs SOUTHAMPTON
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern; Att: 27,274

View attachment 379882 0-1View attachment 379881

A quick trip to Bern, Switzerland, for a narrow victory against Young Boys. Their 4-2-3-1 formation was effective in terms of keeping possession, but they created few chances, with their goalkeeper and left-back producing their best performances. The No.10 role in my 4-4-1-1 has often proved useful against that line-up, being able to exploit the gaps between the two holding midfielders and centre-backs. The version of that formation, and of 4-4-2, that employ two Defensive Midfielders have caused us more problems in the past - particularly when tall centre-backs also provide an effective deterrent to my wingers’ crosses. This was an uneventful game with average performances from our players.

The goal: Jay Rodriguez, 59 minutes (0-1)
After regaining possession in midfield, Ndou played a square pass to Ward-Prowse, who moved it forward to Rodriguez. With his back to goal near the centre-circle, he spread the play to Tom Ince on the left-wing. Ince raced past two defenders to get from the halfway line to the byline, before sending a low cross to the near post where Lucas and Rodriguez where loitering, but both closely marked. Lucas moved to the ball to control it on the left edge of the six-yard box, dragging the two defenders towards him, leaving RODRIGUEZ unmarked at the near post for a short pull-back and a close-range finish.

Last edited:
MEET THE SQUAD - STRIKERS

View attachment 379880 View attachment 379879
JAY RODRIGUEZ
The quintessential Shadow Striker, whose ability to take part in build-up play and then hit the front to meet his wingers’ crosses have helped to garner 163 goals, since his signing for 7-million from Burnley in 2012, by Nigel Adkins. Four consecutive 20+ goal seasons included a total of 32 in all competitions in 2019/20. Won the Golden Boot at World Cup 2018, his 6 goals firing England into the Final before cruelly missing the vital spot-kick in the shoot-out against France. Announced his international retirement after the 2022 World Cup and was recently honoured by his club with a testimonial against Genoa - the team Southampton beat to lift the Europa League trophy in 2019. Has been an outstanding servant to the club, but injury kept him out of contention for the majority of last season, and now in the last year of his 100,000 per week contract, he may find his outings restricted again this term due to advancing years, the signings of Jose Pinho and Andrew Powell, and the emergence of Kingsley Idris.

View attachment 379878 View attachment 379877
JOSE PINHO
A tall, strong but skilful all-round attacker, signed from Porto for 15-million this summer. Can play as a right-winger or striker, but is expected to be the long-term successor to Jay Rodriguez in the Shadow Striker role, where aerial and finishing abilities, with intelligent off-the-ball movement, are essential. Could become a world-class player, but may need a season or two to realise his potential.

View attachment 379876 View attachment 379875
CHRISTOFFER JORGENSEN
Talismanic Danish striker who took a couple of seasons to establish himself in the Southampton first team following his 2016 transfer from Brondby IF, for 11.75-million, but has managed 20+ goals in three of the last four seasons, with injury disrupting 2019/20. Was often rotated with Erik Gomez until the Mexican’s departure last summer, emerging as the regular first-choice last season. Combines excellent off-the-ball movement with awareness of his teammates, a creative eye and lethal finishing ability. A 6-footer who is good in the air and quick on the ground.

View attachment 379871 View attachment 379870
YVO LUCAS
A 12-million signing from NEC Nijmegen who slipped under the radar during the media storm created by Erik Gomez’s 70-million transfer to Manchester United. Enjoyed a positive first season, registering 15 goals in all competitions - though only 8 in the Premier League will have to be improved upon, this term. Lacks aerial ability so sometimes requires a tactical tweak to play to his strengths; dribbling, off-the-ball movement and precise finishing. Has an impressive work rate and the strength and stamina to make it count.

View attachment 379868 View attachment 379867
ANDREW POWELL
A summer signing from Swansea City whose progress has been tracked by The Saints’ scouts since he first came to attention as a 16 year-old. Scored 15 goals for the Swans last season, including the unlikely winner against Manchester United that saved them from relegation - and would have handed Southampton the title were it not for Newcastle’s injury-time equaliser against The Saints, at St. James’s Park. Tall, good in the air and quick, but slightly lacking in stamina. Only played one pre-season match with his new club due to his late signing, but will be expected to compete for a first-team place from the very start of the season.

View attachment 379866 View attachment 379863
KINGSLEY IDRIS

Left-footed Saints Academy graduate who impressed at youth level and has played a handful of first-team matches during the last two seasons, in which he contributed 4 goals, plus a successful loan spell with League One outfit MK Dons in 2019/20. Has demonstrated an ability to hit fiercely-struck volleys on target, and, despite a wealth of competition within the club, could be poised for a breakthrough season. Born in Ondo, Nigeria, but has represented England at U21 level. Has had a good pre-season with the first-team squad.

View attachment 379862 View attachment 379861
JORGINHO
Jorge Henrique Dickinson is an Anglo-Brazilian striker who scored on his full debut against Fiorentina in a Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg in 2019 - one of 5 goals in two seasons of limited first-team opportunities as a youngster with The Saints. Spent 2020/21 at Derby County, where he did well, and last season with Fiorentina, who are now the junior partner in an official feeder club relationship with Southampton. With stiff competition among strikers this season, has been listed for loan again. Can also play in central-midfield. Has 43 caps for Brazil at U20 level.

View attachment 379860 View attachment 379857
CARL STORRIE
Local lad whose performances among the youth ranks suggested much promise, but has failed to assert himself during limited first-team opportunities, so far. A hamstring injury put paid to his pre-season and potential loan transfers. Has the skills to operate as an effective Shadow Striker, if he can come to terms with the pressures of Premier League football. An exceptionally quick runner.

View attachment 379856 View attachment 379855
BILLY ROBERTS
Shot to stardom as a teenager, when he scored 6 goals in 13 first-team appearances for The Saints in 2019/20. Spent the following two seasons on-loan with League One clubs, at Chesterfield and then AFC Bournemouth, and then suffered from being underused at eventual Championship promotion winners Coventry City, as part of their official feeder club arrangement with Southampton. Has returned to League One with Derby County for the first half of this season. Has two years left on his contract, but his long-term Southampton future remains in the balance.

View attachment 379853 View attachment 379852
RYAN SEAGER
Impressive finisher whose development has been undermined by a lack of stamina and a propensity for long-term injury. Lists Motherwell, Rangers, Middlesbrough, Peterborough United, Ipswich Town, Brentford, Sheffield United, York City, Celtic and now Derby County among the clubs he has played for on-loan. Has been offered to other clubs for transfer in the past, without any takers.

Last edited:
Wednesday 3rd August, 2022

Pre-Season Friendly
SHOLING vs SOUTHAMPTON
VT Group Sports Ground, Southampton; Att: 1,575

View attachment 379850 0-9 View attachment 379849

Friendlies against local non-league sides can help to raise morale just prior to the big new season kick-off - though the ease of victory against VVV Venlo had taken care of that - and are lucrative fundraisers from their point-of-view [not that their finances affect my save, but a bit of social responsibility adds a little more realism to my FM universe].

Best goal: Giammarco Stangoni, 73 minutes (0-6)
A move that began with a short free-kick from Louis Cruse, moves the ball forward, back, left and right, before Ardean-Webb angled a pass out to Tom Ince on the left-hand side. With two defenders for company, he ran at them and then squeezed a square pass between them, into the penalty area for the unmarked STANGONI to smash, with his cultured left-foot, across the ‘keeper and into the far corner.

MEET THE SQUAD - SAINTS U18s (selected)

View attachment 379848
KIERAN BURKE
Southampton-born right-back prospect, who is regarded as a potential Premier League star of the future - despite a lot of competition in that position, at present. Good teamwork and work rate; will need to work on his crossing.

View attachment 379843
KEVIN EGAN
A 6ft3in centre-back about whom the words “world-class” are being whispered, at Southampton’s Staplewood training complex. Strong in the air and currently under the one-to-one tutelage of Sergey Radimov.

View attachment 379842
JAKE BASFORD
The shortest player at the club, at 5ft3in, but a hard-working midfielder who can play as a Deep-Lying Playmaker or Box-to-Box Midfielder.

View attachment 379841
JIM WRIGHT
Determined, tough-tackling midfielder with a strong left-foot, who heralds from Southwick (presumably the one in Hampshire, though possibly West Sussex, Northamptonshire or even Sunderland!)

View attachment 379840
GEORGE CARTER
Attacker who can play as Striker or on either wing, who top-scored for the U21s on their run to the Group 1 title last season. Currently being tutored by Christoffer Jorgensen.

View attachment 379839
JOHN GRIFFITHS
Left-footed striker from Christchurch in Dorset, who is already rated at 1.2-million despite having only turned 16 years-old three weeks ago. Regarded as a potential world-class player on the strength of a handful of U18 and U21 performances after joining the club during the 2022 intake. Dubbed the new Michael Owen.

Last edited:
Saturday 6th August, 2022

Jay Rodriguez Testimonial
SOUTHAMPTON vs GENOA
St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton; Att: 37,468

View attachment 379904 2-0 View attachment 379833

Our only pre-season fixture at St. Mary’s Stadium was a testimonial for Jay Rodriguez, against the side we beat to lift the Europa League Trophy in 2019, who were also Serie A Champions in 2019/20 and 2020/21. Our former skipper Morgan Schneiderlin was in the heart of their midfield. Expecting them to field a 3-4-3 formation, I opted for 3-5-2. In the event, they went for 4-4-2, but we still controlled possession and Stangoni’s dribbling from deep caused problems for them. Andrew Powell, signed from Swansea City during the week, got his first outing in a Saints shirt and should have taken any one of several headed opportunities in the first-half. Having the wide men Stay Wide and Hit Early Crosses, with two Strikers to aim for, created plenty of chances for us. Powell and Jorgensen should both thrive under this tactic. Rodriguez played the second-half but was unable to commemorate his big day with a goal of his own.

Best goal: Andrew Powell, 67 minutes (2-0)
Sercan Calik received a pass from Westley inside his own half, before making a charging run down the right-wing and delivering a cross onto the head of Andrew Powell, three yards out. Sirigu pulled off an excellent reflex save in the Genoa goal, but POWELL volleyed the rebound into the net with the ‘keeper stranded on the ground.

Last edited:
Sunday 7th August, 2022

Preparation vs ARSENAL (a)

View attachment 379829

Arsenal: 5-4 (fav) / SAINTS: 7-4

This is the first time in five years that we are not competing in the Community Shield, so everything feels a little out-of-whack. I have asked Javi Rico to prepare his Scouting Report on Arsenal, our opponents on the opening day of the new season, earlier than normal so I can begin planning for next week’s big kick-off. Pouring through the report and other historical data about our Past Meetings with Arsenal, I note down the following observations:

- Javi recommends working on Attacking Set Pieces in training, this week, which is now scheduled in.
- They are vulnerable to 4-4-2, which in my experience means they are uncomfortable with my 4-4-1-1, too.
- Our record against Arsenal since 2018 is excellent; just one defeat in 12 meetings.
- Giammarco Stangoni scored two against them in a 4-1 win at St.Mary’s, last season; and that is the only goal they have scored against us in the last five meetings.
- The match at the Emirates was a 0-0 draw, but they created more chances.
- They finished 6th in the Premier League, last season.
- Brendan Rodgers has Arsenal playing 4-5-1 V-Shaped Midfield.
- Kurt Zouma and Yegor Raevskiy at Centre-Back, and Ogenyi Onazi at Defensive Midfield, make for a solid defensive triangle.
- Assist area data suggests they are slightly weaker down their right side than their left, but they have quality full-backs on either side in Sebastian Corchia and Eduard Sobol.
- They have several quality attacking players, but most of them currently lack either stamina or match fitness.

Planning:
- Arsenal’s strong central defensive unit will make life difficult for Stangoni in the No.10 role - but even the best defenders can struggle to stop him running at them and past them. The 4-5-1 Assymetric System, although not used in pre-season, so completely new to our most recent recruits, would enable him to work predominantly in the inside-left channel and play throughballs to the Complete Forward.
- If Jack Robinson lines-up at left-back, rather than Sobol, then his lack of pace could provide chances for Sercan Calik to get past him.
- We’re unlikely to win much in the air against Zouma and Raevskiy, but if Tom Ince plays in the M_L position and Hits Early (Drilled) Crosses, we might find some joy playing on the ground.
- Raheem Sterling’s presence in the Arsenal squad - a new signing from Norwich City this summer - makes me reluctant to go up against them without full-backs, so the 3-5-2 is off-the-table for this match.
- The longer the match remains goalless, the more I would favour us to win due to superior stamina among our forwards, but their defence is very strong. Our best chance of a goal is probably in the inside-right channel, if we can isolate Raevskiy.
- We have a clean bill of health throughout the first-team squad.

Effectively then, the scouting report is telling me to play 4-4-1-1 and my own analysis says 4-5-1 Assymetric. Decisions, decisions. I need more data. So I watch the goals from the 4-1 win against them at St. Mary’s, last season, and note that:

- All of whom I consider to be their best defenders were playing that day: Corchia - Zouma - Raevskiy - Sobol.
- We triangled our way through their midfield, playing around Onazi (DM) for the first goal, which owed a lot to a crucial miss-control by Zouma. So I check out his First Touch: 12. He’s not a great passer, either, so putting pressure on him might yield results.
- They were unable to stop us passing our way through them; James Ward-Prowse was the man pulling the strings from DLP_S.
- The third goal suggests they may have difficulty defending low crosses.
- The fourth goal occurred when Sobol went missing from left-back; a Tom Ince cross finding Kabastanakis unmarked on the far post.
- Their goal was due to a mistake by Louis Cruse, our goalkeeper.

View attachment 379822 View attachment 379821 View attachment 379819

So you can see my decision-making process, here:

I ruled out the 3-5-2 for fear of exposure on the wings against a strong team like Arsenal; I considered the potential flaws of the 4-4-1-1 against their 4-5-1 and the strengths of their individual players, and began to consider our 4-5-1 Assymetric System; but after going in search of more information and seeing evidence of how our 4-4-1-1 has worked against them before, my concerns are settled and I have decided to play that way against Arsenal next week.

Last edited:
FORMATION ANALYSIS: “3-5-2 Reyes_BPD”

View attachment 379810 View attachment 379809 View attachment 379806

Inspired by the Mexico national team, for whom Diego Reyes is captain, I decided to introduce a 3-5-2 system into my prepared formations at the beginning of pre-season, to replace the 4-5-1 V-Shaped midfield (or 4-3-3, if you prefer) that I didn’t use much last season. Although I am concerned that the lack of full-backs in that set-up will leave us exposed on the wings, I’m confident that we can control possession in most matches and benefit from flooding the midfield and putting two up-front for the Wide Midfielders to target with their crosses.

There is a squad issue here, too, in that I don’t have so many central midfielders but I do have loads of full-backs. But if I retrain a couple of players and use this formation to rotate the squad now-and-again, it can be of use to me, and it will keep the opposition guessing - bearing in mind that something, possibly the tactics, let us down during the run-in last season.

I set-up against Renhe, in our second China Tour match, with all three defenders instructed to Close Down More, with Reyes as a Ball-Playing Defender with the license to Get Further Forward and play More Direct Passes (by default), while the other two Central Defenders_Defend are told to Pass It Shorter.

In the midfield five, all I did, essentially, was bring the No.10 from my tried-and-trusted 4-4-1-1 formation into line with the other midfielders. So we still have a DLP_Support and a BWM_Defend either side of him; I switched the wide men to Wide Midfielder_Support, to encourage a little defensive discipline, in recognition of the absence of full-backs in this formation. The man in the middle is an Advanced Playmaker_Attack, who is encouraged to Roam From Position, play More Direct Passes and Dribble More (by default).

Giammarco Stangoni played to these instructions very effectively for most of last season, and my thinking now is that with two Strikers ahead of him, plus Wide Midfielders either side, the range of passing options would be greater for him, even if his own presence in the opposition penalty area is reduced by virtue of his deeper starting position.

By partnering a False9 with an Advanced Forward up-front, I introduce ways of breaking the opposition’s defensive lines. If defenders follow the F-9 into, for them, more advanced positions, they will create gaps for my three more attack-minded midfielders to exploit with runs from deep, and space for the AF to receive the ball in dangerous positions. If they remain within their own defensive shape, then the F-9 can receive possession in a position where we can then slip short passes into the path of the AF, who is constantly looking to Move Into Channels and Shoot More Often.

Team Instructions are to:

- Retain Possession
- Shorter Passing
- Work Ball Into Box
- Play Out of Defence
- Hit Early Crosses
- Float Crosses
- Run at Defence
- Exploit The Flanks
- Play Wider
- Hassle Opponents
- Get Stuck In
- Higher Tempo

Fluidity: BALANCED
Mentality: CONTROL

Despite one or two teething problems (which I highlighted earlier in my brief report on the Rehne match), the formation has a lot going for it in the midfield and attacking third, so I will persevere with it as one of my set of three tactics throughout the first half of this season.

Last edited:
Wednesday 10th August, 2022

View attachment 379794 View attachment 379792

Rene Meulensteen asked me today how I felt about our squad: Am I happy with what we have? So I told him:

“We have a strong squad but I’m not entirely sure whether we are actually better than last season - we were excellent for the first 8 months. Having let the experience of Clyne and Shelvey leave the club, their replacements, though blessed with greater potential, are not yet at the same standard - on paper, at least. So, a lot will depend on the rate of improvement demonstrated by our young players this season.

The new 3-5-2 formation that we have been working on in training is an interesting innovation that I’m sure will yield goals and points if applied at the right times. But our squad is heavy on full-backs and light on central-midfielders, so using it too often will harm the squad rotation. It could provide opportunities to blood a couple of youngsters, though.

The coaches have marked Tin Jedvaj’s potential ability as being in decline recently, but his performances have been good. He needs to perk-up early on this season and put that mistake at Newcastle behind him. Our centre-backs are all mid-20s, but I want to avoid having them all get old together. We should work hard with Kevin Egan, to make sure he’s ready to be a direct replacement for one of them when the time comes.

We are well-equipped in the striker department. I want all of the players to do well, but I also want to promote our academy players, so we must try to give Kingsley Idris plenty of game time, this season. I think Storrie and Roberts will struggle, but Jorginho might find a berth in midfield, if he can meet the standards of performance that we need.”

“Blimey,” replied Meulensteen. “I was only asking.”

Last edited:
Thursday 11th August, 2022

Article

The Echo Online
View attachment 379784
SURMAN ATTACKS ROCHEYB ON YOUTH POLICY

SOUTHAMPTON MANAGER, rocheyb, has come in for renewed criticism regarding the lack of home-grown players in his first-team squad, from the former Saints Academy graduate Andrew Surman.

The Johannesburg-born Surman, who grew up in Bitterne, just a few miles from St. Mary’s Stadium, made more than 130 appearances for The Saints between 2004 and 2009 before transferring to Wolverhampton Wanderers for 1.2-million. And the former midfielder, who also went on to represent Norwich City and had a season on-loan at AFC Bournemouth, before ending his career at West Bromwich Albion, told The Echo Online that today’s academy students are not being given the same first-team opportunities that he enjoyed:

“When I watch Saints these days, I see a couple of players who came out of the academy set-up, but they were there before rocheyb came in,” he complained. “He’s given Westley and Louis Cruse a chance, and I know there are a couple of other lads on the fringes, but he’s been there long enough now that you’d expect at least half of the first-team squad to be genuine, home-grown talent - especially when you think that the club’s no longer in a position where it has to sell its best players.”

As the only Southampton manager to ever lift the Premier League trophy, in 2019 and again in 2021, and the Europa League in 2019, rocheyb has overseen the most successful period in the history of the football club. But despite his success, some factions of the fan base have joined Surman in criticising him for not adhering to the club’s long-held policy of promoting home-grown players, that stretches back more than 40 years to the days of Lawrie McMenemy. They say that the two notable exceptions of Louis Cruse and Shane Westley, and players that he inherited such as Luke Shaw and James Ward-Prowse, are not evidence enough of his commitment to youth development.

However, while he angered some more traditional supporters with his “You never had it so good” response at last year’s AGM, there are some signs that he is now coming around to the fans’ way of thinking, and putting more emphasis on The Saints Academy, with the recent integration of 18 year-old midfielder Mark Ardean-Webb and 19 year-old striker Kingsley Idris into the first-team squad. Hopes also remain high for the futures of several other young players at the club, especially Kieran Burke, Kevin Egan, Nicolas Cruz and John Griffiths who are all currently in the U18 squad.

Speaking to The Echo Online at a recent Youth Literacy event at the Southampton Guildhall, rocheyb defended his record on youth development and provided some cause for optimism:

“It might be true to say that in recent years, while the club has been in a state of perpetual improvement and redevelopment from the boardroom down, the academy programme has not had the emphasis or the attention that it deserves - and needs, if it is to be successful. But if you look at England squads, from senior to U18 level during the period of my involvement here, there has been a consistently high representation of Southampton players at all levels, and there are players like Idris Ekinci and Andrew Smith who have gone on to have good careers elsewhere while we have remained very successful without them.”

He added: “I appreciate the importance in which some fans regard the club’s reputation for developing our own players, and in truth I am very much in support of the idea myself - as long as the players are good enough. We have invested heavily in improving the facilities at Staplewood recently and our set-up is now second to none. We are constantly scouting for the best young players to bring to the club and I’m very optimistic that we already have several who stand a more than realistic chance of one day establishing themselves as Southampton players.”

Louis Cruse, Shane Westley and Mark Ardean-Webb are showing the way - as Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse and Adam Lallana did before them - and I will certainly be looking to bring our better U21 and U18 prospects through, in good time, and direct my transfer budget towards strengthening other areas so that these young lads get the opportunities they need.”

Asked if that meant fans could expect to see the popular protege Kingsley Idris leading the line against Arsenal in the season opener at the Emirates, this Saturday, he replied: “Probably not.”

Last edited:
the effort put into this is amazing. KUTGW

Thanks, Roberdoo. I keep TextEdit open while I play the game to compile the info, and then load segments into this thread in one hit - so working to a dated diary format helps to keep everything properly chronological. I was probably right about it only being viable for one season, though, particularly as the report format I have settled on for competitive matches involves a minute-by-minute, which I have done for my two opening matches of the season - I will load them in this evening.

As time-consuming as it is, I have already found that paying such attention to detail reveals tactical solutions that I might not otherwise have thought of on my own. Equally, though, I might sometimes over-think my tactics. The proof will be in the results.

Last edited:
Saturday 13th August, 2022

Premier League - Matchday 1
ARSENAL vs SOUTHAMPTON
Emirates Stadium, London; Att: 58,376

For the early kick-off, big season opener at The Emirates Stadium, I opt for the 4-4-1-1 formation. Giammarco Stangoni takes the captain’s armband for the first time, operating as a Trequartista in the No.10 role with Christoffer Jorgensen up-front as a Complete Forward. Rodrigao makes his debut at right-back, while Jose Pinho takes a spot on the bench.

View attachment 379431 View attachment 379429 View attachment 379428

Jonjo Shelvey will make his debut for Arsenal, in central midfield, following his transfer from The Saints in the summer, as do Raheem Sterling (AM_L) and Josip Basic (AM_R). Lyle Tau, who joined from Celta Vigo, is among their substitutes. The Gunners’ back four is as expected, in their 4-5-1 formation.

My team is set-up to Control possession and employ a Balanced fluidity. We’re closing down their midfielders and forwards, and also Zouma, the central defender whose first touch and passing ability are not the best.

1st-Half Highlights:
- 30sec: A terrible start by The Saints! We lose possession in the centre circle, Raheem Sterling flies down the left-wing and crosses for Angelo HENRIQUEZ to head past Ibrahim, into the far corner. 0-1.
- 9mins: It gets worse! A seemingly innocuous passing movement in midfield lands the ball at the feet of Jack Wilshere. He plays a straight pass into the inside-left channel where Raheem STERLING beats two defenders and shoots past Ibrahim for a debut goal. 0-2.
- 29mins: After a few attacks and crosses down the left-hand side, we finally get Kostas Kabastanakis running at the full-back on the right. Sobol is unable to prevent the cross and STANGONI volleys home from the corner of the six-yard box. 1-2.
- 35mins: We have turned the tide! James Ward-Prowse’s far-post corner from the left is headed back across goal by Roel Rutten. KABASTANAKIS’S close-range header is parried by Szczesny, but the winger hooks the rebound home with his left foot. 2-2.
- 38mins: Giammarco Stangoni goes close after being released into the inside-left channel by Shaw.
- 41mins: Jorgensen’s near-post header is saved on the line by Szczesny.
- 43mins: Another Arsenal attack, another goal. Sterling runs infield near the halfway-line. A short pass to Wilshere enables another direct ball to Henriquez, who beats three defenders with an angled pass to Josip BASIC. The Croatian helps himself to a debut goal with a shot across the keeper. 2-3.

HALF-TIME: ARSENAL 3-2 SOUTHAMPTON

View attachment 379426 View attachment 379425 View attachment 379424
They have had 3 shots on target and 3 goals. Our defence has been exposed by two directly straight passes by Jack Wilshere and the running of Raheem Sterling. The defenders and Reyes, my Ball-Winning Midfielder, are not in the game at all. I’d like to drop our defensive line, but we need to attack and get goals in the second-half. Meulensteen’s half-time report is critical of Rodrigao, but after getting a positive response by shouting at the team during the break, I decide to stick with the same players for the beginning of the second-half. I go to an Attacking and Fluid stance, telling both full-backs to attack and the team to Look for Overlap while playing a Higher Tempo, More Expressive game. It’s a risk - particularly with Sterling playing so well for them - but we need to get at them.

2nd-Half Highlights:
- 51mins: Jorgensen is put through the centre on the counter-attack, by Stangoni, but shoots wide from the edge of the area with three defenders closing in.
- 56mins: An excellent passing move draws The Saints level! Reyes passes to Kabastanakis on the right-wing, about 40-yards out. His chipped diagonal pass to the edge of the penalty area is controlled by Stangoni, who chests the ball down and advances into the right-hand channel, with two defenders closing in. He slips a square pass across the front of the 6-yard box for JORGENSEN to apply the finish. 3-3.
- 63mins: The half-time instructions seem to have worked, but Rodrigao is still struggling, so I send Sergey Radimov on to replace him at right-back. Radimov responds well to my assertive encouragement.
- 71mins: I switch the positions of Ward-Prowse and Reyes, assigning Reyes to man-mark Jack Wilshere. I note that their right-back, Corchia, is rating at 6.5 and his condition is at 79%. I wish I had put Migliorini on the bench!
- 72mins: Onazi is lucky to stay on the pitch, bundling into Stangoni while already on a yellow card.
- 75mins: Sterling is allowed to run a long way for the home side, before shooting over the bar from the edge of the area, with his right foot.
- 76mins: Hrustic comes on for us at left-back, with Luke Shaw moving into M-L_A to replace the tiring Tom Ince. Jose Pinho comes on as Shadow Striker. I switch Jorgensen to DLF_S and move Stangoni back to replace Ward-Prowse - but with more license to roam.
- 90mins: Wilshere puts the ball in the net but he’s ruled offside. He’s now playing at AM_R, so I undo the specific man-marking instructions I gave to Reyes.
- 90mins+1: Luke Shaw gets a late opportunity to claim all three points, when he makes a diagonal run into the penalty area from the left to meet Stangoni’s lobbed pass, but Szczesny parries his shot at the near-post, for a corner.
- 90mins+2: The full-time whistle.

FULL-TIME

View attachment 379439 3-3 View attachment 379438

MAN OF THE MATCH:
KOSTAS KABASTANAKIS (SOUTHAMPTON) - 8.5
Right Winger_Attack: 1 goal; 1 assist

View attachment 379423 View attachment 379422 View attachment 379421 View attachment 379420

VERDICT:
A disappointing first-half performance was recovered by a show of resilience for an away draw against a good Arsenal team, but there are worrying signs of the slackness that crept in towards the end of last season. An entertaining match for the first Premier League Sky broadcast of the season from a neutral’s point-of-view, but there is much work ahead.

Last edited:
Saturday 13th August, 2022

Youngster Joseph Michael went on-loan to Preston North End, today. He was there for less than a day and broke his foot in their match against Accrington Stanley. He’s out for 4 months, so I terminated the loan.

Monday 15th August, 2022

First item of the new week was the final update on season ticket sales: slightly up from last season, at 28,479.

Preparation vs BIRMINGHAM CITY (h)

View attachment 379419

The Scouting Report for the upcoming home match against newly-promoted Birmingham City was on my desk, first thing. It advised me to train the players on Defending Set-Pieces and that City are vulnerable to 4-4-2, which is the system they use, and they concede goals towards the end of the first-half. They won their first match 2-0 at home to Wigan Athletic, but their squad depth is comparatively poor to ours so I’m optimistic we’ll be able to dictate the tempo of the match and create plenty of goalscoring opportunities. Our record against them is good: PL 8; W 6; D2; L 0.

Rene Meulensteen and I reflected on Saturday’s draw at Arsenal. We agreed that the sloppy start put us on the back foot but we never got to grips with Sterling’s dribbling or Wilshere’s ability to pick a pass; two things to consider when we come up against them again.

A hastily arranged U21s match at Staplewood, against local non-league side Blackfield, provided run-outs for several players on the fringes of the first-team. Jorginho was the Man of the Match with two goals. Kingsley Idris got the other in a comfortable 3-0 win. The U18s lost 1-2 to Chelsea over the weekend, but Kevin Egan played well.

Last edited:
Wednesday 17th August, 2022

There was no midweek match for the 1st XI, so I decided to go and watch the U18s take on their counterparts from Cardiff City at Staplewood - where two of our highest-rated youngsters caught the eye. Centre-back Kevin Egan opened the scoring with a near-post header from a corner. Striker John Griffiths got the second after a defensive error, and then got in behind the back four to control a chipped pass and place a side-foot shot inside the left post for 3-0. I was impressed by Griffiths’s build-up play with his back to goal and his ability to lose his marker. The win puts the U18s 3rd in Group 1 South, with 2 games played.

SAINTS U18s 3-0 CARDIFF CITY U18s

Man of the Match: John Griffiths (Saints) - 8.8

Striker: 2 goals; 0 assists.

While watching the U18s, I decided to employ the 3-5-2 formation against Birmingham at the weekend. I’m confident we can control possession against them and having two up-front will enable me to have Jorgensen, Powell and Lucas all in the squad at the same time.

Manchester United beat Leicester City 5-1 at Old Trafford tonight, which, following their opening day 4-0 massacre of Cardiff City, puts them comfortably top of the Premier League, already.

Saturday 20th August, 2022

Premier League - Matchday 2
SOUTHAMPTON vs BIRMINGHAM CITY
St. Mary’s Stadium, Southampton; Att: 37,484

SAINTS team news: Ibrahim continues in goal, despite a poor opening match at Arsenal; the three Rs are in defence - Rutten, Reyes and Radimov; Sercan Calik’s defensive qualities give him the nod over Kostas Kabastanakis, who drops to the bench; Elias Migliorini comes in for Tom Ince; and Shane Westley will be the BWM_D; Yvo Lucas (AF_A) partners Jorgensen up-front (F9_S).

View attachment 379415 View attachment 379413 View attachment 379414

Birmingham must have got wind of my plan to play 3-5-2, because they lined-up with a 4-5-1 formation with five flat across midfield. It will be up to us to dictate a high tempo from the very start. With Manchester United setting a blistering pace at the top of the Premier League already, we need to win this first home match of the season. The players respond well to one-to-one pre-match chats, asserting my faith in their abilities.

1st Half Highlights
- 7mins: Stangoni’s running on the ball earns Birmingham midfielder Liam Palmer an early yellow card.
- 8mins: Lucas has a goal chalked off for offside.
- 9mins: Lucas should have opened his account when Stangoni’s short pass put him through, but he shot wide.
- 12mins: A Birmingham counter-attack breaks down, as Palmer’s pass hits Stangoni. Lucas controls his lobbed pass to attack down the inside-left. When he squares across the 6-yard box, STANGONI has got forward to strike firmly past Randolph. 1-0.
- 16mins: RED CARD: A poor sliding challenge from the already booked Palmer on Stangoni reduces the visitors to 10 men.
- 17mins: City shuffle to 4-4-1, but they can’t stop Migiliorini shooting on target at the left post.
- 22mins: Migliorini goes close again as Southampton’s width and tempo pulls the City defence out of shape.
- 32mins: Lucas hits the post after combining well with Jorgensen through the middle.
- 34mins: Migliorini fires one across goal. That’s four chances he has missed.
- 35mins: The ball falls to Stangoni 35-yards out, after Jorgensen’s pass is blocked, and his short diagonal into the penalty area finds LUCAS unmarked, to fire into the top right corner. 2-0.
- 36mins: Westley wins the ball in midfield; Stangoni dribbles into the final third to play a short pass to JORGENSEN inside the D. He controls the ball with his right foot before firing a low left-footed drive into the bottom left-hand corner, beyond the despairing dive of Randolph. 3-0.
- 38mins: A challenge on Stangoni, inside the penalty area, leaves him injured. Jorginho comes on to replace him. No penalty.
- 41mins: JORGENSEN gets his second with a lobbed shot from 30-yards, after driving into the centre from the right wing. 4-0.

HALF-TIME: SOUTHAMPTON 4-0 BIRMINGHAM CITY

View attachment 379412 View attachment 379411
The width and tempo of our 3-5-2 was already causing Birmingham problems before the red card, and Stangoni’s positive running was committing defenders and creating space for the two strikers. Jorginho has settled into the game quickly, favouring quick passes to dribbling but still creating in the final third. I can look to bring in a couple of players who haven’t featured yet, during the second-half.

2nd Half Highlights
- 46mins: Our ability to switch from one flank to the other via direct passing midfielders creates an opening down the left, leading to a corner.
- 50mins: Sercan Calik receives the ball and runs wide with two defenders for company. Then he picks out Jorginho on the penalty spot. The Brazilian moves back to the edge of the D as he controls the ball, before spotting the unmarked MIGLIORINI on the left of the 6-yard box, who strikes left-footed across the keeper. 5-0.
- 57mins: Jorginho’s long-range effort sails narrowly wide of Randolph’s left-hand post.
- 64mins: Jorgensen’s header from Calik’s cross is well saved by Randolph. Andrew Powell steps off the bench to make his Southampton debut, in place of Yvo Lucas.
- 67mins: Migliorini scores but Powell is judged offside.
- 75mins: Calik is tearing Birmingham apart down our right wing.
- 76mins: An audacious long-range attempt by Jorgensen to seal the hat-trick is denied by the crossbar.
- 78mins: A rare City attack goes close.
- 85mins: A patient build-up orchestrated by Migliorini plays Powell to the byline. His cut-back is met by JORGINHO who fires in at the near-post. 6-0.

FULL-TIME

View attachment 379408 6-0View attachment 379410

MAN OF THE MATCH:
CHRISTOFFER JORGENSEN (SOUTHAMPTON) - 9.4
False-9_Support: 2 goals; 1 assist

View attachment 379407 View attachment 379406 View attachment 379405 View attachment 379404

VERDICT:
The red card obviously helped us, but our team’s ability to play high tempo and attack from all angles came to the fore. A good first showing for the 3-5-2 featured a positive contribution from Jorginho in an unfamiliar midfield role. Fingers crossed that Stangoni is not injured long-term.

Last edited:
Saturday 20th August, 2022

View attachment 379395
Following an anxious wait at Southampton General Hospital after the Birmingham match, it was confirmed that Giammarco Stangoni has suffered a sprained ankle and will be out for up to 5 weeks. Not as bad as it could have been, and he will hopefully be back in time for our difficult run of fixtures from 15th October; Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City. Rene Meulensteen and I briefly discuss whether we need to bring anybody else into the squad and agree to sleep on it until Monday.

Last edited:
Monday 22nd August, 2022

View attachment 379393 View attachment 379392

I called Jorginho into my office this morning for a quiet word to say “Well done” for his performance on Saturday. With Stangoni injured, Jorginho may be called into the first team squad quite often over the next month or so, at least when we play the 3-5-2 formation, anyway. In his interview with the American journalist Charlie Rose, shortly after his retirement, Sir Alex Ferguson said that "Well done" are the two best words a manager can say, to instil belief in his players - without encouraging them to start believing the hype and going completely overboard about their own abilities. If it's good enough for him, then it's good enough for me. Here's a link to that interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bjkk411Mpc

Rene Meulensteen and I discussed possible transfer targets, which we would have to move quite fast on to secure before the transfer window at the end of this month:

RM: “We don’t have to bring in a direct replacement for Stangoni - just another midfielder who can fit in with what we have and help us to play our systems.”

rb: “We’ve got a few players who haven’t played yet this season, plus some promising youngsters. I don’t want to block their path to the first team. Losing Stangoni could be a massive problem, but he’s only out for five weeks and we’ve got winnable matches between now and then. Then there’s the added competition for places when Marco gets fit, again.”

RM: “I have a few players in mind, at least to consider.”

rb: “OK.”

View attachment 379391 View attachment 379390
RM:Jason Saville. He’s English and wants to leave Reading. He’s a defensive midfielder but if we brought him in, it would free-up Ward-Prowse to play a more attacking role. He’s two-footed, can play midfield or defence. He’ll probably cost about 12-to-15-million, but Chelsea are also sniffing around him.

View attachment 379388 View attachment 379387
Then there’s William Venera at Genoa. Expensive but very talented. An excellent passer and dribbler who can also tackle. He’s 6ft and good in the air, too. Does have a bit of a dodgy injury record, though, with hamstring and thigh injuries in the last year. Could be cup-tied for the Champions League because Genoa had to pre-qualify this year.

View attachment 379385 View attachment 379384
And finally, Waleed Farhan - a Bahrainian attacking midfielder at Real Betis. Great first touch, work rate, determination. Can play right or centre and up-front. He’s only 23, speaks five languages including English, and he’s got a 16.75-million release clause in his contract. Struggled a bit last season but did well for Napoli the season before.”

rb: “I like Saville, but he’s too similar to Westley and Ardean-Webb. If we bring him in, at least one of those other two won’t get a game. Venera’s a great player but he’s made of biscuits. Farhan could be a possibility.”

I checked Soccernet.com on my computer…

rb: “Betis are at home to Rayo Vallecano on Sunday and we’re at Newcastle on Monday night. I’m in Switzerland on Thursday for the Champions League draw. I’ll go on to Seville and watch Farhan and then meet you and the lads at St.James’s Park, early Monday afternoon.”

RM: “Good idea, boss.”

View attachment 379379
Giovanni Pulvirenti phoned in from Staplewood. His U21s team won 5-0 against Fulham tonight, featuring several first-team fringers in the same 3-5-2 formation that we used against Birmingham.

Last edited:
Thursday 25th August, 2022

I travelled to Zurich to attend the draw for the Group Stage of the European Champions League. Southampton were among the top seeds and we were drawn into:

Group F

View attachment 379374 View attachment 379372 View attachment 379371 View attachment 379370

We have faced Atletico and Lorient before and beaten them both comfortably. Amkar Perm of Russia are an unknown quantity, though, and will have to be scouted. But all-in-all, I’m satisfied with the draw.

Last edited: