Die Koenigsblauen - An FC Schalke 04 Story

schalkefan04

Reaction score
FC SCHALKE 04

Hi and welcome to my Schalke story! I will be taking control of Schalke and will attempt to make them once again the superpower in Germany as in the 1950's, overtaking the mighty Bavarian power that is FC Bayern Muenchen.

I live in the Ruhr area of Germany and am a big Schalke fan so I am looking forward to trying my hand with them for the first time on this game.

The club has wonderful facilities thanks to the construction of the Veltins Arena for the World Cup. It hosted the Champions League final in 2004 (Monaco 0 - 3 FC Porto) and we also have excellent youth facilities. The club has a great reputation for bringing through exciting young talents, mainly due to the excellent breeding ground of players in this particular area of Germany.

Whilst Bayern are currently far ahead of us in terms of the quality of their first team, I will first attempt to bridge that gap and as our finances continue to improve we shall hopefully be able to attract the highest quality of players.

I shall update the trophy cabinet below as the story progresses. Hope you join me for the journey ^^)

TROPHY CABINET (since I joined):
Currently empty

Will definitely follow this story, gonna be interesting to see Schalke 04 overtaking the mighty Bayern Munchen. Btw, I am fan of Vardar ;)

Sent from my LG-E400 using Tapatalk 2

Introduction

FC Schalke 04 2013-2014

Having been welcomed to the club by the board and President Clemens Toennies, I set about familiarising myself with the club, it's layout and it's staff.

We decided on three points that my reign at the club would be judged upon:

• [*=center]We would play an attacking brand of football.
    [*=center]We would develop players using the club's youth system
    [*=center]Where possible, we would purchase players from the club's own nation.

While I realise these are fairly demanding parameters, I think they are perfectly realistic given Schalke's current layout and also the dearth of quality available in Germany at the moment, especially in the Nord-Rhine Westfalen region. I look forward to bringing through young players into our first team.

Current First Team

View attachment 396217
The underlined names are those that are currently home-grown players

I am currently pleased with the squad that I have available and think for this season at least we have enough about us to secure a Champions League position. The key thing for me is that we have a number of huge talents in that side and one of my most important tasks this year will be to follow their progress closely. They are namely Maximilian Meyer, Julian Draxler, Leon Goretzka, Donis Avdijaj and Sead Kolasinac.Currently they represent a large part of what we will try to build in the future and hopefully they can also play a large part in our success this season too.

As for tactics, I will be looking to employ a couple of different systems this season. They will mostly be focused around us either dominating possession of the ball or against teams where that will be much harder, playing a high pressure counter-attacking style.

View attachment 396216 View attachment 396215

I will be moulding these formations as the season progresses and as we see new players move into the team but at the time being they should be solid tactics and pre-season has seen some positive reactions.

Staff Responsibilities

Finally, I have assigned duties to my staff in order to allow me to focus on the game side of things. We have an excellent Director of Football and Head of Youth Development so I think it's only right that they be given enough responsibility to do their job as well, though of course I will keep a very close eye on their work as the campaign goes on, especially when their contracts are coming towards an end..

Okay, pre-season coming up next before we enter the first campaign!

Last edited:
Pre-Season

FC Schalke 04 2013-2014

View attachment 396206

Pre-Season went okay as we tried out several formations to differing success. Most importantly though I managed to find out what was my best XI and we also managed to win a little bit of silverware, edging out Galatasaray in the final on penalties, though we should have seen them off in normal time.

Of course, you can't read too much from pre-season results and performances and as a result I don't read too much into this but we take some good confidence into the league with us for August and the boys look itching to go against Hannover next month.

My player of pre-season was Jefferson Farfan, who despite being linked away on numerous occasions, looks set to be staying with us (though we don't know that for sure until the transfer deadline closes). Jefferson is an old school winger and certainly the kind of player I like to have dominating on the wings. If he can continue with the kind of service we saw in pre-season then we should get plenty of joy down the flanks.

View attachment 396205

Last edited:
August 2013 - A slow start

FC Schalke 04 2013-2014

Neustrelitz 0-2 FC Schalke 04
DFB Pokal 1st Round
Huntelaar (pen 98, 105+1)
View attachment 395256
I marked my managerial career with a first victory, albeit against minnows Neustrelitz. And the performance was really below poor. We didn't have a single chance from the 30th minute team against a Regionalliga side which was unnacceptable. Eventually Goretzka won us a penalty which Huntelaar slammed home before the Dutch poacher doubled the scoreline with a close range header from Uchida's cross.

After this game we lost Kevin-Prince Boateng for up to 5 weeks with a knee injury, whilst Max Meyer, Draxler and Goretzka also picked up knocks.

Hannover 96 2-1 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga (1)
Aogo (35)
View attachment 395257
A bitterly dissapointing start to the campaign. We dominated the first half and deservedly got the opener through Dennis Aogo, playing in midfield to cover for a number of injuries in that position, as he slotted home nicely from the edge of the box. A second one didn't come soon enough and Hannover levelled through Andreasen from a corner. Schalke went with two up top for the last ten minutes but were picked off as a result as Schlaudruff raced through before finishing nicely on the angle.

FC Schalke 04 1-1 Hertha BSC
1. Bundesliga (2)
Aogo (21)
View attachment 395258
We appear to have found a goalscorer in Dennis Aogo. Playing in midfield again he once again opened the scoring, taking the initiative, something which the strikers have so far failed to do. We made a number of scoring chances, namely from Christian Clemens, but we didn't take them. Nevertheless the game seemed to pretty comfortable before ex-Schalke man Kobiashvilli curled home a 25 yard free-kick past a helpless Faehrmann, to the shock of the home crowd. Schalke still await their first league win.

PSV Eindhoven 0-2 FC Schalke 04
UEFA Champions League Best Placed Play-off, 1st Leg
Kolasinac (82), Huntelaar (90)
View attachment 395259
With Schalke struggling in the league, we managed to put our misfortune to one side and put in a determined away performance at Dutch side PSV. Their weakness was always in the defence and we put in a solid defensive display to limit their attacking capabilities before attacking their tired team towards the end. Kolasinac came on as a sub at left back to smash home the winner, before Huntelaar slotted home a second after a free-for-all in the box.

Werder Bremen 0-2 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga (3)
Huntelaar (2), Draxler (71)
View attachment 395260
Finally we showed that bit of quality in a league game to get our first 3 points on the board, and not a moment too soon. We ran this game from the word go, that man Klaas smashing home an opener after just 2 minutes as he flicked on Draxler's cross before finishing the rebound. Although Bremen had a decent amount of possession, we were rarely troubled and looked highly dangerous on the counter. Draxler got a deserved second as he finished a parry from Huntelaar's shot to seal a healthy 2 goal victory.

FC Schalke 04 3-2 PSV Eindhoven
(5-2 Agg.)
UEFA Champions League Best Placed Play-off, 2nd Leg
Jorgensen o.g. (7), Huntelaar (18), Szalai (71)
View attachment 395261
For a moment, things threatened to get messy, but in all honesty we were in complete control of this game. We went 2-0 up inside the first 20 minutes, Jorgensen first inexplicably heading home Clemens' cross before Draxler made space wide on the left and crossed for Huntelaar to slam home. And from there it should have been plain sailing but the impressive Narsingh broke clear twice in 2 minutes with top skill before beating Faehrmann to put the tie slightly in the balance. That was put to bed though by Hungarian striker Adam Szalai who controlled and finished a Christian Fuchs cross for his first Schalke goal, and a place in the Group Stages of the Champions League.

FC Schalke 04 0-0 SC Freiburg
1. Bundesliga (4)
View attachment 395262
Schalke's wobbly start in the Bundesliga continued today as they failed to break down a stubborn Freiburg side. Indeed the away side had probably the best chances to win, both falling to ex-Schalke man Mike Hanke who inexplicably dragged two great openings wide of the goal. Perhaps tired from their Champions League exertions, Schalke now have 2 weeks off to regain their focus and start to make a real push in the league.

It's a slow start to my managerial career. We looked good in a couple of games but there is much more potential in this side than we are currently showing. Hopefully we will grow into this campaign and show our qualities by the end.
Also key for me were the injuries this month to the likes of Max Meyer, Kevin Prince Boateng and Leon Goretzka, which left a creative hole in our midfield. Hopefully with the international break coming up we can rally together and get them fully integrated back into the side for a good month in September.

My player of the month is 2 time goalscorer Dennis Aogo. Not only scored his first goals for the club, but also put in a shift in a number of positions, and featured in every single game.
View attachment 395263

Here's how the table looks after 4 games..

1. FC Bayern
2. Borussia Dortmund
3. SC Freiburg
4. Bayer 04 Leverkusen
5. Augsburg
6. Borussia Monchengladbach
7. Hertha BSC
8. 1. FSV Mainz 05
9. FC Schalke 04
10. Hannover 96
11. Eintracht Frankfurt
12. 1. FC Nuernberg
13. 1899 Hoffenheim
14. VfL Wolfsburg
15. Hamburger SV
16. Werder Bremen
17. Eintracht Braunschweig
18. VfB Stuttgart

Following an underwhelming start to the campaign, we sit 9th in the table. Of course the table means very little at this stage in the campaign and there's plenty more to look forward to.​

Last edited:
Nice story, also just started with Schalke. Had a little bit better start than you. Decided to cash for farfan and buy a new young keeper and strengthen the midfield. Playing 4 2 3 1 without wingers. Is doing pretty well with KPB, meyer, draxler. However still looking for a new RB to be a bit more secure in defending. So if you know anyone please tell me ;). Will follow this!

yeah that seems to be a popular thing to do but I like farfan, especially for my style.. I would shift Hoewedes over to right back if I feel we need a bit more defensive cover but otherwise it depends on your tactics! glad to have you along

Nice Story

Reading your story is interesting I always kept Farfan also as I think he and KPB will help develop players around him like Draxler,Meyer & Goretzka. Aswell as feeding Huntelaar.

exactly. I would probably consider an offer if it was good enough but the club's not so strapped for cash (or personnel for that matter) that I was actively looking to sell him. I'm more concerned about developing the young players. Very excited about donis avdijaj! Should get an update out in the near future

September 2013 - Take Off!

FC Schalke 04 - 2013/2014

Eintracht Braunschweig 1:2 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga (5)
Huntelaar (58, 85)
View attachment 394977
Phew, that was a lucky escape. The league's newcomers, Braunschweig, were full of pluck and energy on a day when we were really lacking it. I think the boys were expecting a walkover. At half-time we were a goal down and deservedly so. But we switched things around, brought Fuchs on at left back for Aogo and upped the tempo a little. It worked a treat. Excellent work from Boateng, Goretzka and Huntelaar opened up the Braunschweig defence with some one touch passing and Huntelaar slammed home a great equaliser. Then with time running out, that man Klaas nipped ahead of the keeper to divert Draxler's excellent driven cross to win the game.

SC Napoli 1:2 FC Schalke 04
UEFA Champions League, Group H (1)
Matip (13), Szalai (87)
View attachment 394976
A fantastic start to the group stages! Drawn with Napoli, Chelsea and Kobenhavn, we knew these two games would be crucial in deciding who would go through. We played on the counter but were worthy of our victory, Matip giving us the lead after 13 minutes heading home a corner, only for Raul Albiol to head Napoli level. But it was Adam Szalai, on as a sub to provide a focal point for our counter attacks, who headed home the winner with 3 minutes to go after excellent wing play by Jefferson Farfan. Great victory!

FC Schalke 04 1:0 VfL Wolfsburg
1. Bundesliga (6)
Farfan (25)
View attachment 394975
Wolfsburg have made a dissapointing start to this campaign and we breezed past them without much trouble - in fact to be honest we should have scored more, having had 24 shots to their 3. Farfan's goal in the first half was the decider in the end, the Peruvian most lively to Boateng's parried strike after an excellent counter-attack. We had more chances but were profligate, and the victory was all but assured when Jan Polak was dismissed for a second yellow in the second half.

FC Schalke 04 2:1 1. FSV Mainz 05
DFB-Pokal 2nd Round
Boateng (43), Szalai (88)
View attachment 394974
I was very happy with this result. The games came every 3 days this month after starting September with an international break, so I had to make several changes. I gave Szalai a start after impressing against Napoli and he was vital in this victory, laying off Boateng for his first goal before slamming home a great finish with minutes to spare. Mainz grabbed a consolation deep into injury time but in fairness we cruised into the next round. Kaan Ayhan, a talented prospect, made his club debut in this match.

VfB Stuttgart 2:3 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga (7)
Huntelaar (43), Farfan (45, 66)
View attachment 394973
Things have really picked up in the league this month! This was my most pleasing match so far as manager, as we bounced back from an early set back. First Matip gave away a penalty, only for Faehrmann to make a great save but Stuttgart were ahead minutes later when Maxim slammed home a great Werner through ball. But from there on we were in control, with Jefferson Farfan in particular grabbing the headlines. He crossed just before half time for Huntelaar to head home, before slamming a great free-kick into the top corner in injury-time. He then raced through on the counter to slam past Ulreich and should even have had a hat-trick. Stuttgart scored with 5 minutes to go but we held on admirably to record a 5th successive victory in all competitions.

A fantastic month, all things considered! Three league victories, progression in the Pokal and a first win in the Champions League means that I can't be much happier at the moment. We had a full strength team this month and that showed in our performances so I know it's crucial we keep our best players fit over the coming months. In the last couple of games though I have seen a real improvement in our tactical awareness and some of our attacking play has been brilliant. We have take off at last!

View attachment 394971
Kevin missed the opening stage of the season after suffering an injury before the Hannover game but he has been fantastic since coming back, playing a huge role in each of our victories this month. He provides real quality and experience in the midfield, especially alongside the youth and naivety of Goretzka.

And here's the table

1. SC Freiburg (17 pts)
2. FC Bayern (16 pts)
3. Borussia Dortmund (15 pts)
4. FC Schalke 04 (14 pts)
5. Bayer Leverkusen (13 pts)
6. Borussia Moenchengladbach (10 pts)
7. FC Augsburg (10 pts)
8. Eintracht Frankfurt (9 pts)
9. Hertha BSC (9 pts)
10. 1. FSV Mainz 05 (8 pts)
11. VfB Stuttgart (7 pts)
12. Hamburger SV (6 pts)
13. 1899 Hoffenheim (6 pts)
14. VfL Wolfsburg (6 pts)
15. Hannover 96 (5 pts)
16. Werder Bremen (5 pts)
17. Eintracht Braunschweig (5 pts)
18. 1. FC Nuernberg (4 pts)

So at this early stage we remain well and truly in the title race. Surprise team Freiburg, who held us to a respectable draw last month, sit pretty atop the league, dropping points in just two games (making our result look a little better, all of a sudden!) I fully expect this to turn into a three horse race in the next couple of months though, but we shall see how long Freiburg hold out for!

s04_m05_farfan_huntelaar_th.jpg

October 2013 - A Tough Month

FC Schalke 04 - 2013/2014

FC Schalke 04 3:3 Chelsea
UEFA Champions League Group H (2)
Willian o.g. (66), Szalai (71), Hoeger (88)
View attachment 394743
A good start to the month. We were very poor until the last half hour, showing our nerves and naivety to a Chelsea side full of class and experience. Eto'o's brace and Willian's finish from a corner put the Blues three up but we staged a wonderful 3-goal comeback. First Willian deflected home a Draxler shot before Szalai flicked on substitute Aogo's cross to really put the cat amongst the pigeons. It looked like we just wouldn't have enough but the crowd roared us over the line as Hoeger smashed in a late, late equaliser to rescue a point!

FC Schalke 04 4:1 Bayer Leverkusen
1. Bundesliga (8)
Boateng (35), Farfan (45+2), Huntelaar (pen 68), Meyer (74)
View attachment 394742
This performance registered our title credentials as we cruised to victory against 5th placed Leverkusen. We took the lead through a sumptuous half-volley from the excellent Kevin-Prince Boateng only to be pegged back unfortunately by Derdiyok's free header in the six-yard box. We were not to be deterred though and our chances were increased by the dismissal of Donati for Leverkusen, before Farfan gave us the lead before half time converting Draxler's excellent cross. In the second half we played some wonderful football and got the goals that our performance deserved, first through Huntelaar's penalty and then substitute Meyer's first goal for the club, controlling expertly before slamming home a cool finish.

Borussia Dortmund 4:1 FC Schalke 04
1. Bundesliga (9)
Clemens (49)
View attachment 394741
This one hurt, a lot. A huge derby, and we were coming into it on the back of some excellent form. But we started far too slowly, with Dortmund piling on attack after attack in the first 20 minutes and taking a deserved 2 goal lead into the break. I rallied the troops and we got a goal after just four minutes, substitute Meyer laying into the path of Christian Clemens wonderfully, and he slammed home his first Schalke goal. We were then given an advantage when Kehl saw red for Dortmund and we pressed forward in search of that winner. We came mighty close on a number of occasions but were then caught twice late on on the counter-attack to send us home incredibly dissapointed.

FC Kobenhavn 1:1 FC Schalke 04
UEFA Champions League Group H (3)
Goretzka (87)
View attachment 394740
We were lucky to get a point here in a match we were expected to win comfortably. I assume that the Dortmund game took a lot of our confidence away but this was an unnacceptable display. Kobenhavn really pressured us from the start and punished us in the second half when Zinckernagel outmuscled Kaan Ayhan before slotting home. We piled on and got a late equaliser but the 3 points evaded us.

FC Schalke 04 1:1 1. FC Nuernberg
1. Bundesliga (10)
Clemens (78)
View attachment 394739
Our confidence and luck has deserted us momentarily. Nuernberg are rock bottom of the Bundesliga and their performance suggested that. We were slow out of the blocks but once we finally got going there could only be one winner. We took a long time getting it but eventually substitute Clemens found the net to the delight of the fans and it looked like we would be back on track in the league. Cruelly though we were pegged back with minutes to spare with a late counter-attack which started with Goretzka losing the ball in midfield. A cruel blow to our title aspirations.

Just the one victory this month and that horrible Derby defeat still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I had expected a much better response against Kobenhavn and Nuernberg though and we really have to find our confidence very quickly, or risk falling further short of the chasing pack.

View attachment 394738
In a very difficult month, Julian Draxler shone on the left wing with some very consistent performances. His pace and directness means that he is the focal point for many of our attacks and hopefully he can help carry us through this rough patch in the next few games.

Here's the table at the end of October:

1. FC Bayern (23 pts)
2. Borussia Dortmund (22 pts)
3. SC Freiburg (20 pts)
4. Hertha BSC (18 pts)
5. FC Schalke 04 (18 pts)
6. FC Augsburg (14 pts)
7. Borussia Moenchengladbach (14 pts)
8. Bayer Leverkusen (13 pts)
9. 1. FSV Mainz 05 (12 pts)
10. Hamburger SV (11 pts)
11. Eintracht Frankfurt (10 pts)
12. Hannover 96 (10 pts)
13. VfB Stuttgart (10 pts)
14. Werder Bremen (9 pts)
15. Eintracht Braunschweig (9 pts)
16. Hoffenheim (9 pts)
17. VfL Wolfsburg (7 pts)
18. 1. FC Nuernberg (6 pts)

Impressively, Freiburg are still in the mix at the top of the table, and even have a game in hand meaning that they could be joint top next month. We have slipped out of the Champions League spots so I'm hoping that we push on next month and re-assert ourselves on the top of the table.

s04_mon_disappointed_hoewed.jpg