Different League Different Tactic - Discussion Thread

mdcoz78

Reaction score
Hi All

Wanted to start a discussion on how people feel about playing in England and using a certain formation and philosophy and then using a different one in Spain or Italy.

The point in trying to get too is should I and others be looking at a slow more patient tactic for Italy than England or it actually don't matter?

I create my own tactics from scratch and do ok with most but when I try sometimes I fail badly. Any views on the subject would help as tactics for success in one country may not work elsewhere. Try and point to a certain download to back up the point to use as a ref to see where I may be going wrong.

Any questions if you need more clarity.

i'm by no means an expert as i've only ever created tactics for personnel use and most of them don't seem that effective on a wide scale but i'd imagine playing a slow tactic against a team that has alot of pace and likes to play at a high tempo would help disrupt there rhythem and playing a high tempo tactic against teams that like to pass the ball around alot would mean you close down often and not allow them as much time on the ball as they'd prefer forcing them to rush into mistakes.

I'd argue that its all about the players in your squad.

This probably relates to the problems you have had as in general, your average PL midfielder will be more suited to a more direct game, defenders would be more used to diving in to tackles (some midfielders also do this) and strikers may be more suited to using their pace and physicality than being intelligent at finding space (obviously there are exceptions).

Your average Italian Midfielder (and player) will be more flexible than most other players around the world (due to training in different tactics from an early age) defenders will stay on their feet more and attackers will probably be very good all rounders and able to adapt to a variety of formations and styles, I would say that you should be able to get most styles to work within Italy (if FM is like real life).

Spain is known as the more technical league, so midfielders are probably going to be better suited to playing the ball along the floor, controlling the game, defenders will probably close down quicker but aren't as likely to go to ground, Forwards are a mixture of pace and movement

These are all generalisations about the leagues but I guess FM reflects all this to a certain degree. I would say you need the right players that suit the style you want to play if you put them in an effective tactic it should work well.