difficulty signing any "well known" players

c58

Reaction score
so im having an issue.

im in my 3rd season with arsenal and ive won the prem twice and the champions league once. but im still having an issue with player transfers.

if im trying to sell someone, say for example van persie, his value is 13 million.

if i raise the asking price to 16 million, no one is interested.

however when i try to buy anyone established, for example messi or xavi, if their values are 20 million, even if i offer 100 million i always get rejected, i guess my question is, how can i buy the more well known players?

thats because they aren't trying to sell them, you shouldn't want to sell van persie, although i agree when they start to get older and there value decreases it is tempting. Go for regens and hot prospects it is more fun, and more arsenal like than signing the big ones ;P

is it realistic that messi or xavi will leave barca for anything less than 100million considering the current market, ie 80mill for ronaldo? also barca are one of the richest clubs in the world so they dont really need the money

but you could try unsettling them, praise them in the media, saying you wish to sign them, they are star player etc.

wait for their contract to run down, try offering for them when they have only a year left, you may get lucky. or approach them on a pre contract agreement if you get the chance.

i've experienced such problems as well, having to pay over the odds to sign good players whereas lowering your asking price might be required to sell your players. van persie's value is probably too high and clubs might be unwilling to pay that kind of fee. therefore, i normally dont go for world class players cos im a manager who doesnt want to spend much. there's basically nothing we can do about it

i appreciate the replies, its just annoying, van persie is a good player but i managed to get hold of dzeko so hes my man and id rather sell rvp than let him lose value sitting on the bench, but what i mean is i just cant seem to sign any known players. im not talking specifically barca, i mean any player who is worth 10mil + for anything less than 5x their actual market value. it doesnt make sense that when i go to sell a player if i ask more than 10% of his value nobody is interested yet to sign a player from anyone else i have to pay so much over the odds.

i appreciate the replies, its just annoying, van persie is a good player but i managed to get hold of dzeko so hes my man and id rather sell rvp than let him lose value sitting on the bench, but what i mean is i just cant seem to sign any known players. im not talking specifically barca, i mean any player who is worth 10mil + for anything less than 5x their actual market value. it doesnt make sense that when i go to sell a player if i ask more than 10% of his value nobody is interested yet to sign a player from anyone else i have to pay so much over the odds.

the point is, your interest as a big club will up the value of the player, especially if the club doesnt want to sell. whereas the fact that you keep trying to peddle rvp to anyone and everyone means the other clubs know you want to sell, so will have no intention of paying top dollar.

do a player search, look for transfer listed players that clubs actually want to sell. you will notice the asking price is often much lower. whereas if you come in for the top players that they dont want to sell they are well within their rights to tell you to do one.

unsettling the player is the best bet to lower the price though. at the very least they may reject a new contract and sign for you for free in a yea ror 2.

also try to befriend the manager of the club thy are at, a good friendship often results in a lower asking price.

yeah but as i said that is because you are looking to sell him. it is possible to get teams offering great players for very reasonable prices or transfer listing them. but when you don't want to sell one of your best players you won't sell them for anything right? so therefore if you keep him happy and indispensible then maybe someone will come in with a big offer when your not going looking for it

also are you playing him regualrly? no-one wants to buy a player whos getting a handful on sub appearances a season

Bro, maybe you should actually scout the players you wanna sign and see if they have any intention of signing with you. Messi and Xavi and even Iniesta probably never wanna leave Barcelona no matter how much you offer. Ive played as Arsenal and signed really good players IMO such as Ediz Dzeko, Sergio Aguero and Yoann Gourcuff

To be honest, i think its logical. You wan't a player that another club considers "indenspensible" or "important". You are trying to buy players clubs DON'T want to give up, so they increase asking prices. Not exactly for monetary reasons, but in order to scare you or to replace that one player with one or two more important players for their formation.

Secondly, in order to sell a player, there has to be interest. For there to be interest you have to play the player.
Ex/ One season with Chelsea, I had massive injuries on fullbacks so i was forced to use Ferrera constantly. By January, his avg rating was 7.3. I then in turn sold him to Sunderland for 7.5million. A fee you would never dream of selling him as he's valued only at 2 million.

Moral of story. Build up the reputation of the player you want to offload then offer him to clubs.

Last edited:
With the Spanish clubs offering release clauses, you can allways get a Messi or Ramos in such a way. Normally here by the 3rd season, the clubs offer the big boys new contracts, but the game (so far) will never have the same huge release clauses, compared to the start of the game. Aguero and Messi normally have a clause of +/- 55mil! Oh and if you make a offer with the same value as their release clause, remember to say in Flexibility: Non-Negotiable, otherwise they want more.