Desmond91

Reaction score
Lately I've been asked this question:

"Direct passes" and "through balls" are not the same thing?

Both options move advanced players through deep passes into space ...

So, what happens if select "short passes" and "through balls ---> Often" and vice versa?

direct/short passing is all got to do with the distances the players are away from each other...

1) if you are playing two DLP's in the DM's slots with two ST and an AMR and AML you will not be playing a short passing game as the distance between the defence and attack is to vast and through balls will have little effect

2) players will still attempt through passes, but you will see that even though you say SHORT passing in team instructions, setting a player's role to DLP will make it mixed and more towards direct than a BWM as the BWM is expected to play short simple little passes once winning back possession etc...

so mixed will allow the player to pass very short or switch the ball if the option is on :)

So if I wanted to do through balls into very narrow spaces (such as passes from the opponent's edge of the penalty aimed to clear the striker in front of the goalkeeper) should I select short passes and through balls Often, right?

This guide:

Playing Style - Guide to Football Manager 2012

Recommend it to set "direct pass" at the Target Man.
At this point I was confused....
Given its poor technical quality and the improbabilities that a pass more distant can succeed, not it would be more appropriate to select "short passes" so that it can succeed?

it depends how high your defensive line is and how far you are sitting in their half, if you play DEEP then short passing is not going to be effective, if pressing and playing HIGH then it is more effective!

dont always use the TM, it does not help sometimes.. I have two poachers in front of a creative AMC (Riquelme) and have set short passing and let him play through balls often, this is destroying teams left right and centre, but I play a high line and press...

it depends how high your defensive line is and how far you are sitting in their half, if you play DEEP then short passing is not going to be effective, if pressing and playing HIGH then it is more effective!

dont always use the TM, it does not help sometimes.. I have two poachers in front of a creative AMC (Riquelme) and have set short passing and let him play through balls often, this is destroying teams left right and centre, but I play a high line and press...

I was referring to the opposing defensive line but I still understand what you mean :)

I also use an AM front to the striker, however, are 3 instead of 2, in this way the opposing defense widens and they can make entries more easily!