Director of Football buying players

• Thread starter Thread starter xelliotx
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 11K

xelliotx

Reaction score
Right so I tried letting my director of football bringing in some new faces in the championship, but he's just trying to sign strikers left right and centre when we have about 5 already. Has everyone just turned this off or is it worthwhile?

In my opinion, if you're going to use a DoF I highly suggest leaving it up to you to confirm the deals. I don't know if you can impact what area he'll try and improve though.

I did this with the head of youth dev (Luigi Porchia 19jCA, 20jPA, high deter. etc.) just to see who he would try and get he kept going for wasters I wasnt impressed...

I don't use a DoF and never will, don't think it's a good strategy in FM and certainly not in real life (yeah that means YOU Comolli). I have a HOYD, but I make sure I have to confirm the deals.

I only use him to bring in youth players, i wouldn't let anyone buy my first team players for me. He doesnt find awesome regens all the time but he does find 1 or 2 every now and then.

Well, not sure about DoF as I never used one, but Tom Werner (Liverpool chairman) got me Falcao (Who was transfer listed) in my 2nd season at Liverpool. Try leaving it to your chairman instead, I know several people that have gotten some decent players that way.

Well, not sure about DoF as I never used one, but Tom Werner (Liverpool chairman) got me Falcao (Who was transfer listed) in my 2nd season at Liverpool. Try leaving it to your chairman instead, I know several people that have gotten some decent players that way.

Interesting. Could this have anything to do with the fact that chairmen don't have stats? Maybe they always succeed against whatever "saving throw against Stewart Downing" is running in the background.

I use Head of Youth Development Phil cannon only for finding out but me is the one finalize.

It has taken half way through my 6th season to accept a deal found by my DOF proving to me their pretty useless. He keeps attempting to sign all these rubbish regen youth players until yesterday. He finally found someone that looks promising, a 5* star 16 year old winger who only cost £950k, only time will tell if he becomes any good.

I did this with the head of youth dev (Luigi Porchia 19jCA, 20jPA, high deter. etc.) just to see who he would try and get he kept going for wasters I wasnt impressed...
Maybe need find out hidden attributes for Director of Football & Head of Youth Development, like buying players & business?, as well as judging player current ability, judging player potential ability & tactical knowledge. I don't know? just guessing, but you don't need them if you are going be more hands on Manager!. But it is modern way in Europe!, leaving you just manage & coach your players and not worry about the finance side of the game ie transfer fees, wages & contact renewals!. And put your players you want on the transfer target shortlist, they should sign these players first before signings their targets?. Not sure about the development list is that for Head of Youth Development?. Also it's handy put your players on other lists that want to send out on loan & players you want to get rid of!, They should get rid them for good price for you?.

Last edited:
I've found it quite handy having a Director of Football at Blue Square Bet North/South level!, I let him deal all finances at the club (finalise signings, contact renewals & clearing out my unwanted list). I have been known let him sign players from start to finish, but I always make sure all the players that I want are on transfer target list, he's seems sign them before he's choice of players!. The attributes I looked for to employ one were JPA, JPP & tactical knowledge.

i think finding and buying new players is one of the best parts of the game so don't take that away from yourself. HOYD can be alright for bringing in youth players though. even selling and loaning out players i do it myself.

You can still look for players!, if you read the post correctly!, you would notice I said you put your players that you want on the transfer target list!, so DoF buys them for you!.

I don't use a DoF and never will, don't think it's a good strategy in FM and certainly not in real life (yeah that means YOU Comolli). I have a HOYD, but I make sure I have to confirm the deals.
It works well in Spain ie FC Barcelona!, if they're on the same page as the manager, they should buy right players that are suited to the team style of play or buys what the first team manager wants?. What's happens in England, the managers are use to buying their own players with more hands style of management!. But it work else where because the managers are head coaches aboard not managers in old style like here in this country!. And if the director of football communicates with the head coach on regular bases, should be a problem?.

Last edited:
It works well in Spain ie FC Barcelona!, if they're on the same page as the manager, they should buy right players that are suited to the team style of play or buys what the first team manager wants?. What's happens in England, the managers are use to buying their own players with more hands style of management!. But it work else where because the managers are head coaches aboard not managers in old style like here in this country!. And if the director of football communicates with the head coach on regular bases, should be a problem?.

I just don't see the point in having a DoF. In my opinion it just leads to potential disagreement and inconsistency. A manager should buy the players he wants, restricted only by a budget. That's what gives a manager the best premises for succeeding. I'm sure it COULD work, but I find the potential disadvantages bigger than the advantages. That's why we call them managers, else we might as well call them coaches. Besides, if the DoF actually buys the players the manager wants, why not get rid of him altogether? I don't think there are many professional managers out there who WANT a DoF because the process of buying players is too time consuming.

I just don't see the point in having a DoF. In my opinion it just leads to potential disagreement and inconsistency. A manager should buy the players he wants, restricted only by a budget. That's what gives a manager the best premises for succeeding. I'm sure it COULD work, but I find the potential disadvantages bigger than the advantages. That's why we call them managers, else we might as well call them coaches. Besides, if the DoF actually buys the players the manager wants, why not get rid of him altogether? I don't think there are many professional managers out there who WANT a DoF because the process of buying players is too time consuming.
Usually the people who take the role of director of football are old managers with experience who don't want a another manager job or haven't got one!, or former famous players with high profile to attract players to club!. Really can call them general manager that have used English game for years who deal with the finance of the club ie contact renewals, contacts etc. The role of director of football combines the general manager & chief scout roles together, also is a go between chairman/directors basically the board and head coach. Leaving the head coach in charge of team affairs, that's why you will notice clubs abroad don't use the term manager and call them the head coach. It not just used in European football clubs, also used a lot in American sports ie American football!.

Last edited:
Back