Director of Football buying players

• Thread starter Thread starter xelliotx
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 11K
I just don't see the point in having a DoF. In my opinion it just leads to potential disagreement and inconsistency. A manager should buy the players he wants, restricted only by a budget. That's what gives a manager the best premises for succeeding. I'm sure it COULD work, but I find the potential disadvantages bigger than the advantages. That's why we call them managers, else we might as well call them coaches. Besides, if the DoF actually buys the players the manager wants, why not get rid of him altogether? I don't think there are many professional managers out there who WANT a DoF because the process of buying players is too time consuming.
Ps from your other post! contact running out!, if you employ a director of football you task them to try and sign them for you from your transfer target list. Put the players you want in transfer target list and add details in by saying sign them when out of contact!. But if you don't employ one, you might get beaten to his signature by another club?. I've haven't sign anyone on bosman ruling yet through a director of football, haven't completed a half season yet!. But I have signed players through my director of football, yes he did sign players from my transfer target list in the order I set for him and with price set him as well. I searched & scouted my own players then put on the transfer target list. Also can put them on scheduled date ie 1/7/2014, that they are on list for!, so he will go back and try again if he doesn't succeed the first of asking?. Sounds good me!.

Last edited:
Ps from your other post! contact running out!, if you employ a director of football you task them to try and sign them for you from your transfer target list. Put the players you want in transfer target list and add details in by saying sign them when out of contact!. But if you don't employ one, you might get beaten to his signature by another club?. I've haven't sign anyone on bosman ruling yet through a director of football, haven't completed a half season yet!. But I have signed players through my director of football, yes he did sign players from my transfer target list in the order I set for him and with price set him as well. I searched & scouted my own players then put on the transfer target list. Also can put them on scheduled date ie 1/7/2014, that they are on list for!, so he will go back and try again if he doesn't succeed the first of asking?. Sounds good me!.

Sure, it might work well in FM if you're not a fan of chasing players and stuff. Personally I think signing players and everything involved in that process is one of the most interesting parts of the whole game. And since I'm "old school" in the way that I like to have total control, I would never hire a DoF. But each to his own!

From now I officialy claims that DOF is useless.... I just saved over 3k a week for clicking "confirm" under contracts; better spend that money for better Youth director ;)

Well, not sure about DoF as I never used one, but Tom Werner (Liverpool chairman) got me Falcao (Who was transfer listed) in my 2nd season at Liverpool. Try leaving it to your chairman instead, I know several people that have gotten some decent players that way.

Yeah I did that at Chelsea and Abramovich tried to buy Falcao and Neymar in the second season for me but i canceled the deal with Falcao and Neymar went to Man Utd i had too many strikers at the time anyway

Never mind, at least you're not managing Chelsea where Abramovich buys them all ;)

Back