[Discussion] Customized Ratings & Opinions: Top 10 Center-Backs in FM18

Rose Suburban

Reaction score
Typically, FM17 ratings for players were pretty much spot-on and allowed the algorithm to simulate real life-like outcomes for most leagues, usually. But with every winter update even they rethink some players, e.g. Eric Bailly started off as a modest 145/159 (CA/PA) virtual unknown in the November release but blew up into a 150/165 potential world beater in the latest DB. Same applies to 2016/17 stalwarts Van Dijk and Belotti. So my question is: who do you guys think will be the top 10 center-backs in FM18 based on their attributes (CA/PA) alone? Also, what custom rating would you give each defender, 1 to 10, in descending order prior to the game's release? It's interesting to gauge how scouting, ratings & opinions differ from amateur users to professional developers especially since common belief has it that there's a dearth of defensive quality in world football.

E.g. My Opinion

1. Sergio Ramos 176/176 (Erratic but his CV is legendary now);
2. Leonardo Bonucci 175/175 (Best ballplaying CB in recent years);
3. Diego Godín 172/172 (Tough as nails old-school CB);
4. Jérôme Boateng 171/175 (Injury prone, but not yet declining);
5. Mats Hummels 171/171 (Perfect in-game rating);
6. Giorgio Chiellini 170/170 (Veteran at his peak);
7. Toby Alderweireld 168/172 (Consistent late-bloomer);
8. Thiago Silva 168/177 (Rapid decline)
9. Gerard Piqué 168/172 (Gradual decline but elite);
10. Raphaël Varane 168/177 (Realizing scary potential).

I really don't agree that Gerard Piqué is on decline, he plays just great, he is one of the best central defenders in the world

I really don't agree that Gerard Piqué is on decline, he plays just great, he is one of the best central defenders in the world
Okay. Where would you place him among the top 10 CB's in Europe? I would think that he is outside of the top 5 and behind Hummels, Chiellini and Silva. Interesting opinion; I feel as if he has just gradually lost some form for years now and last season's Champions League campaign showed that Barcelona are perhaps no longer the best team in Europe especially as the back 4 and midfield weakens. But I completely respect your opinion if you think it's harsh to call it a 'decline' at only 30 years of age.