Discussion -> Holland's dilemma: Van Persie AND Huntelaar?

Timmehhh

Reaction score
Heya chaps,

As you all know the Dutch strikers Van Persie (RvP) and Huntelaar (KJH) are on fire this year. (6)
This has restarted the discussion here in Holland whether or not you can and should play both players in the same team.

Our coach Bert van Marwijk has been choosing RvP as his starting striker for some time, but he never seems to approach his Premier League greatness while in the national team. As in last weeks friendly KJH ALWAYS delivers when he's on the pitch.

One of the problems is that Sneijder's spot as AMC has been his, and his alone for some time.

Holland currently plays a 4231 with Inside forwards and either a defensive (Van Bommel & De Jong) or a supporting (Van Bommel & Strootman) midfield.

The debate is: Can you fit RVP and KJH in a 4231 and which players should play on which position?!

My opinion:

Give RVP a free role on 10, make Robben left winger, Sneijder can come inside or cross on the right.
Midfield defensive block to support all the creativity up front

View attachment 228094

Last edited:
Have they played together at all up front for Holland recently?

Regardless of the topic, best username ever.

They have on occasion, with RVP playing on the right as Inside Forward. This is not effective as it seems to frustrate RVP a lot.

I doubt Van Persie would play in-behind Huntelaar, he's more attributed to the out-and-out style like he has shown at Arsenal. Moreover that Sneijder is ineffective as a winger, much more suited to a central role as always with every play going through him.

I think its a case of one or the other TBH, unless you play 4-4-2

Sneijder is not an actual winger I know. But I can see him play in a freeish role supported by wingback Van der Wiel covering the entire right flank.

I think its a case of one or the other TBH, unless you play 4-4-2

Holland will not even speak of the abomination that is called 442 :p The Dutch are very rigid in their wing play religion trust me haha (A)

I doubt Van Persie would play in-behind Huntelaar, he's more attributed to the out-and-out style like he has shown at Arsenal. Moreover that Sneijder is ineffective as a winger, much more suited to a central role as always with every play going through him.

I know it will be weird, but else you have an insane amount of wasted potential RVP or KJH on the bench.

Sneijder is not an actual winger I know. But I can see him play in a freeish role supported by wingback Van der Wiel covering the entire right flank.

Despite that, like Inter Milan, the attacking potential may be lost. For Inter, almost always when he plays left or right wing, they have not managed to properly attack. Dirk Kuyt who can provide some sort of threat would have more suitability, in my opinion.

Maybe a lop-sided 4-2-3-1 would accustom to that, since the right winger would be stagnant and roam forward freely as the full back overlaps.

Maybe a lop-sided 4-2-3-1 would accustom to that, since the right winger would be stagnant and roam forward freely as the full back overlaps.

That was my idea. The defensive block would allow Sneijder to focus on creative duties.

Also, even though Kuyt is a effective as a work horse, his age and limited technique are seen as a weakness.
The public opionion is:"He is only good for keeping the opposing wingback busy" "is blocking progression of talented wingers"

That was my idea. The defensive block would allow Sneijder to focus on creative duties.

Also, even though Kuyt is a effective as a work horse, his age and limited technique are seen as a weakness.
The public opionion is:"He is only good for keeping the opposing wingback busy" "is blocking progression of talented wingers"

If not Kuyt, then Elia, or Affelay - although both have not played considerably consistent competitive football since joining their respective clubs from Dutch clubs. They must learn, however, to track back and help the team. If not, then it becomes an issue when in a defensive stance.

True, Elia will probably not be selected for Euro2012. Affelay and Boerrigter (Ajax) have just resumed training and 1 of the talents Narsingh (Heerenveen) and Ola John (Twente) will probably be backup to the former 2 players.

I know it will be weird, but else you have an insane amount of wasted potential RVP or KJH on the bench.

Its better to drop one or the other tp the bench. We can speak of this the hard way. England spent a decade trying to shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard into one side. Not only did this generally fail, we also managed to marginalise Scholes, a player superior to both of them.

Stekelenburg
VdW - Heitinga - Mathijsen - UE
MvB - Sneijder - NdJ
RvP - KjH - Robben​

For a 3-4-3 I would do this:

355423_Holland.jpg

Same idea as my 4231 setup but with Emanuelson and Strootman as supporting wide midfielders.

Hi guys - I love this thread - good comments.
I get greedy with attackers when picking my best Dutch team, with all the choice Holland have. But i think we have to stick with v Bommel and De Jong holding midfield. If we are going to win the Euro's our defense has to be tight. With VDW, Mathijsen, Heitinga, Peters in defence.
That leaves Sneijder in the middle, Robben on the right, Persie on the left, Huntelaar up front.
But i agree with an earlier comment that Persie wont be happy with that and will want to be the goalscorer but Huntelaar is a classic forward and Persie used to play on the wing so i think Van Marwijk will have to stress total football with the 4 up front changing positions with the flow of the game. Which i have still seen good examples of since World cup 2010 onwards despite critics saying total football is dead.
We still have plenty of class on the bench with V D Vaart, Kyut, Afellay, Ellia, Strootman, L D Jong, plenty of Eredivisie players coming up. BUT WE HAVE TO PLAY RVP & HUNTELAAR TOGETHER!