Do certain attributes affect player's 'hardness of training'?

King James

Gooner from Ghana
Reaction score
I might be looking too much into this but I was just wondering if there was a correlation between certain stats, including hidden (I have Genie Scout* so I can see these), and how much a player is willing to work in training.

I've got Josh Brownhill who's been complaining about extra role training focus (Roaming Playmaker in this case). So I looked at two other players who had a similar training schedule as Josh - Marcos Lopes and Jeremie Boga. At first I thought work rate (high work rate= harder worker?) and determination (higher determination = more determined to improve?) were deciding factors. Here's who they stack up:

Brownhill: Det - 10 WR -12
Boga: Det - 8 WR - 9
Lopes: Det - 10 WR -10

At first glance, work rate and determination have little-no affect.

Moving on to physical stats, I looked at natural fitness and stamina (poor stamina/nat fitness = can't train as hard?).

Brownhill: Stam - 10 NF - 13
Boga: Stam - 14 NF - 13
Lopes: Stam - 13 NF 17

The evidence here isn't really that conclusive, but there is a possibility that if that the right combination of nat fitness and stamina will influence a players hardness of training. Maybe if the average of both nat fitness and stamina is above a certain number?

Looking at the possible hidden stats that potentially influence player 'hardness of training' I looked at Versatility (new roles require more versatility?) and in personality* I looked at Professionalism (true professionals try hardest in training?).

Brownhill: Vers - 10 Prof - 11
Boga: Vers - 12 Prof - 14
Lopes: Vers - 9 Prof - 7

At first the results don't really provide much evidence. It is important to say Lopes' focus is on his best tactical role. Boga and Brownhill are not. Boga has higher vers and is happy.

Looking at other players in my team of around the same workload who are happy Brownhill does have the lowest average combo of NF and Stamina at 11.5. The next lowest is Sean Murray - Det 12, WR 12, NF 12, Stam 13, Vers 5, Prof 7 focus is best role also - at 12.5 who is pleased. This seems to be the strongest evidence so far.

Anyway, I thought it was and interesting idea so I'd thought I'd share it. I could be on to something, it may not be these attributes but possibly others - it may be a combination or it could be randomly generated and I could just be insane.

I'd be interested to know what you guys think. Do 'less fit' players have a harder time with additional focuses and/or do 'less versatile' players have trouble adapting to unfamiliar tactical roles (e.g. converting a CM into a AP)?

Cheers,

James

*If you don't want to use Genie Scout/FMRTE etc. these could provide some guide to which personality types have which attributes attached Player Personalities | Football Manager 2015 Guide & The Ultimate Personality/Media Handling Guide

Last edited:
I've never really been sure to be honest. I thought it was down to the Personalities and just players acting like their 7 year olds.
The further from professional and Discipline they were, the more likely they are to complain. i'd imagine everyone is upset with training, only not everyone is saying something about it.

You kind of went the wrong way about testing this. What you need to do, is find players with extremely low attributes, and see what impact does it have.

You'll find that people with very low Determination, Ambition, and Professionalism, are often complaing that training is too hard, or in some extreme cases they can even be even skipping sessions. So these 3 stats is what you are looking for, Professionalism being the most important. Ambition can help, but only if player is actually able to fulfil his ambitions in the club. Otherwise it can be have the opposite effect by impacting his mood. Determination has the smallest impact out of the 3.

Natural Fitness is the stat to go for when it comes to just how much work players are able to survive. Having low Injury Proness also helps, especially during preseason with heavy physical training. Push injury prone player too hard in the gym, and something's gonna break.

Work Rate, as far as I understand, only applies to how hard they are working on the pitch.

Versality only describes how quickly player learns, and how well he can retain new positions without consistently playing on them. So for that part of the training it helps, but it has no impact on the rest of the training.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've never really been sure to be honest. I thought it was down to the Personalities and just players acting like their 7 year olds.
The further from professional and Discipline they were, the more likely they are to complain. i'd imagine everyone is upset with training, only not everyone is saying something about it.

I actually didn't consider that training could be too hard but certain attributes and personalities would make them not complain about it. I think my training is okay as I'm on average team training - though most players do have a specific focus.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:
You kind of went the wrong way about testing this. What you need to do, is find players with extremely low attributes, and see what impact does it have.

You'll find that people with very low Determination, Ambition, and Professionalism, are often complaing that training is too hard, or in some extreme cases they can even be even skipping sessions. So these 3 stats is what you are looking for, Professionalism being the most important. Ambition can help, but only if player is actually able to fulfil his ambitions in the club. Otherwise it can be have the opposite effect by impacting his mood. Determination has the smallest impact out of the 3.

Natural Fitness is the stat to go for when it comes to just how much work players are able to survive. Having low Injury Proness also helps, especially during preseason with heavy physical training. Push injury prone player too hard in the gym, and something's gonna break.

Work Rate, as far as I understand, only applies to how hard they are working on the pitch.

Versality only describes how quickly player learns, and how well he can retain new positions without consistently playing on them. So for that part of the training it helps, but it has no impact on the rest of the training.

Hope that helps.

I will definitely test this out with lower attributes. I was thinking about using ambition as a measure to be honest but I didn't as I understand it as ambition to win trophies and such. I did notice that all three have 14+ ambition, since I didn't think about the weighting each attribute had in training level, I didn't consider that Boga ambition of 16 could be outweighing the affect of low determination and professionalism. That'll definitely help me out when it comes to distributing workloads properly.

Thanks,

James

Last edited:
I thought ambition was more of 'I want to play in a higher league / I want to play for a bigger team" kind of thing... it's all vague haha

Hope that helps.
Close and overall a good post. Determination has no effect on training though. It can be an indicator of a good personality, but not always.