Do Tactics really make a difference?

sgb

Reaction score
I am currently in the middle of a 17 year career. I've been at Plymouth Argyle, England, New York, Man Utd, Kingstonian and Truro City and have had great success everywhere without ever changing my formation from the default 442 and without making any alterations to team or player instructions.

So do different tactics really make a huge difference or is it just the players you have in your team?

Not a huge one, but still they do. Managing is not just creating a tactic and selecting the first 11.

They make a difference, yes, but things such as your team talks, squad harmony and the players you have, as well as other things, all make a difference as well.

People mix up tactics and formation. A formation is a part of your tactics, but everything else, from the players on your bench to deciding to let your assistant handle team talks is part of your tactics as well.

Tactic is very important early on. But once you have found the one that suit your team and get everything in motion then there is little need to change (see Barcelona tiki taka ) until the tactic is outdated and can be strongly countered. If you are not a top team though, it's always useful to have several tactics in the bag. Like playing counter attacking against stronger teams, or playing all out when you are desperate...

well i have always used the same formation/tactics on every fm game ive purchased and regardless of what team i am and after a while you build world class squads while the AI doesnt really improve so you could probably dominate games playing with 1 defender.

weird thought perhaps
but maybe it works so well cuz the default tactics is all well balanced out??
and yes tactics make a difference, shouts too

Tactics do matter !!! I mean if you play a high Defensive line with slow defenders against fast poachers , you'll get destroyed !

Tactics are very important and it all depends on your players and works, I personally believe that you should have at least two tactics to keep the opponent guessing and stopping the AI from figuring out your tactics.