Do weather effects make a difference ?

Dobcheev

Reaction score
I was wandering if anyone alters passing strategies when playing in adverse conditions such as rain or snow ? Also, do they use specific pitch-side shouts as well to take into account bad weather ? Any suggestions would be helpful. Cheers

No idea. Would like to find out though :)

Yeah, it does.

Wet pitch = Don't play a short passing game, play a direct passing game as the ball moves quicker on the wet surface (quite a nice add-in by SI).

Hot weather/dry pitch = Don't play direct, play a short passing game as the ball moves nicer on the pitch and is easier to manoeuvre the ball about.

Windy = No idea. I would expect just keep it on the ground, e.g don't play direct.

Snow = Well either way the ball won't move very fast, so it's up to you, probably best for direct.

I don't really change anything but the passing tbh, only thing that makes a difference to me.

Yeah, it does.

Wet pitch = Don't play a short passing game, play a direct passing game as the ball moves quicker on the wet surface (quite a nice add-in by SI).

Hot weather/dry pitch = Don't play direct, play a short passing game as the ball moves nicer on the pitch and is easier to manoeuvre the ball about.

Windy = No idea. I would expect just keep it on the ground, e.g don't play direct.

Snow = Well either way the ball won't move very fast, so it's up to you, probably best for direct.

I don't really change anything but the passing tbh, only thing that makes a difference to me.

Windy may be bad for flighting free-kicks and crosses? So may want to play along the ground.

Yeah, probably tell your players not to cross the ball, and play through the middle.

Was playing with Vålerenga. it was snowing, the pitch was white and it was windy. Didn't actually know what to do, so i sat down, had a beer and cried.

Was playing with Vålerenga. it was snowing, the pitch was white and it was windy. Didn't actually know what to do, so i sat down, had a beer and cried.
Rofl, drowning your sorrows. ;)

For National teams its best to play slow tempo passing , as its a lot hotter climates around the world , or if you are an english team playing in spain , lower ur tempo and play shorter passing .

Nice one Maxie- That's the type of feedback I needed. Would you use the ' Pass to Feet ' shout in the wet ? I've noticed sometimes you get to play on a heavy pitch but it's not actually raining - I suppose ' Direct ' is the way to go also ?

Nice one Maxie- That's the type of feedback I needed. Would you use the ' Pass to Feet ' shout in the wet ? I've noticed sometimes you get to play on a heavy pitch but it's not actually raining - I suppose ' Direct ' is the way to go also ?

Yes, that's what i'd do.

Yeah, play pass to feet in the wet as the ball might go all over the space if you pass into space and you probably won't be able to keep the ball.

And yeah direct on heavy.

Cheers - shame about Pompey. Hope the not-so-mighty Reds don't go down the same financial black hole

This thread has completely changed the way I play FM !

I've now made 2 additional versions of each tactic I use - I x for wet conditions ( direct passing / ' pass to feet ' ) & 1 x for hot conditions ( short passing / ' take a breather ' ).
There seems to be a lot of wet weather about in the winter months, so I'm using the direct versions quite a lot with no little success either.
I tried some experiments using a standard tactic on a wet pitch & then reloaded the matches & used my new ' Wet ' version of the tactic - on both occasions the ' Wet ' tactic yielded better results:

Exp 1: Standard tactic = 1-0 win & Wet tactic = 3-0 win
Exp 2: ditto = 1-0 win & ditto = 5-0 win ( vs. different opposition )

Granted it's early days, but the ' Wet ' tactics seem to be successful when used appropriately. Haven't really had cause to use the ' Hot ' versions yet, so I can't offer a judgement on those yet