Do you like this YouTube suggestion feature??? Please respond:)

Rate this idea out of 5. 1=terrible; 5=fantastic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MUFC2810

Reaction score
Dear YouTube,

From my experience of being a serious video-posting member, I find it extremely frustrating and demoralising that I am unable to mass edit my videos. For example, you can delete, add videos to..., change the privacy and now license of all videos by ticking the check box that selects every video in the "My Videos" section. What I (and 99% of the video-posting users) need to do is be able to use the features under "edit" to mass edit ALL or a selected number of videos instantly. For example, my main channel (I know multiple accounts violates YouTube's regulations) has around *300 videos. If I wanted to tell viewers a message such as: "I've got a new Facebook account" I would have to spend hours adding * *text in the description, tags, annotations and possibly even title box to every one of my 300 videos - that's no fun I can tell you! Instead, YouTube could incorporate a feature that allows you to do the required operation to all or a selected number of your videos. For example, there could be an option to edit titles, descriptions, tags, annotations, audio and any other feature there is. Here is the basic overview of each of the main features:

Access - users would access the "mass edit" option from the "Actions" drop-down menu in "My Videos". They could then select all the videos they wanted to edit.*

Title - Option to replace existing titles or add to title at the end or beginning of the title. *For example, if I wanted to add the text "I Like" to the video called "This Video" I could either replace ("I like"), add text at end ("This Video I Like") or at the beginning ("I Like This Video"). You can see the names of the videos are in quotes inside brackets.*

Description - would be the same (replace, add to start, add to end) options. for example, if you wanted to tell your viewers that you have a new Facebook account, playlist or competition on your channel on all your videos, it would be a breeze with this feature.*

Tags - replace, add new tags and *possibly delete tags. This could be especially useful if you've just discovered those special tags (what are they? ytstream:4:3, ytstream:16:10, are there others like captions/transcripts, HD and play video at X definition too?). These 'special' tags would be extra useful, although, for example, if you've just started making animations, you may want to add "animation" to every video.*

Audio Swap - user chooses an audio track and sets it to all videos. I think this would be the least used feature.*

Annotations - possibly the trickiest due to different resolutions, video sizes etc (not sure if that would make a difference). The same interface could be used as already, but instead there would be a default sample video or you could choose the video to display. Users would be able to add annotations such as "new Facebook page" or "new playlist" to their videos. There would obviously be the slight problem of different video lengths, however, options such as "start annotation at ?%" would eliminate this problem. For example, starting at 0% would be the start of the video; 50% half way through the video etc. There would also be an "end annotation at ?%" as well.*This would eliminate the problem of different video lengths. The user could still elected to use the current "start at time"/"end at time" functions that are available. There should also be a "start ?seconds before end" and "stat ?seconds after beginning" for when users need more precise control. For example, if a user has a closing video title scene that they need to annotate, a "start annotations ?seconds before end" function could be implemented. If the closing video title scene lasts for 7.89 seconds then the user could tell all videos to have certain annotation "start 7.89 seconds before the end". You obviously wouldn't need a "start ?seconds after beginning" because that's the same as the "start at" function now. You would need the *"start ?seconds before end" function because all the videos would have different durations, therefore this would be the only way to get an accurate annotation. Implementing these annotation features enhance the ease-of-use and accuracy for YouTube users.*

The other features - there is also those other features like captions/subtitles etc, but I'm not sure mass editing with these features would be as successful.

These features would benefit massively to serious video-posting users - I don't think anyone can dispute this. Just think what it would be like to edit all your videos with a few clicks in seconds! I've been in the situation of having to add an annotation and description to all of my videos to help spread the word of my channel, however, I didn't want to spend 10 hours doing this. As a result of this, I actually lost interest in creating videos and actually gave up for a few months. This is a problem that many users face and that desperately needs to be addressed to bring YouTube up to the next level. I set-up a poll and found that 92% of 314 people though my idea was 5/5. The other 7% said 3 or 4 out of 5 and only 1% said 1 or 2 out of 5. To be honest, I think that if people fully understood my idea (or didn't troll) then everyone would have voted for at least 3 or more out of 5.*

I think I have an idea that would be ready to be implemented into YouTube tomorrow though I know it's not that simple. I'm sure that if Steve Chen (or whoever is now in charge) was greeted with the concept, he would order his developers to start developing right away. I'm sure YouTube has the best web and flash developers in the business that they could build this in a matter of weeks and I am also sure that YouTube could afford to develop this "mass edit" feature. I think the problems is getting my idea heard. Is there a way you could tell me an email address of one of the top dogs or forward this on yourself?*Do you have any advice on what I should do and do you think there would be any chance of YouTube implementing this feature. I'm really passionate about this idea as it will help myself with my current and future accounts as well as helping millions of people which is my main reason for being passionate about this idea. I'm not a partner with my current channel so I assume that this "mass edit" feature isn't available yet even for parters. If it is, why isn't it available for non-partners?

Please let me know what I should do to promote my idea and how I could actually get the attention of the top dogs in YouTube.*

Thanks

Last edited: