Does a player being a fan of his team matter?

danny4690

Reaction score
As in the title - how much does it matter? In FM14 there were very few players who identified as Villa fans so it was hard to gauge, but players like Agbonlahor, Grealish and Dan Crowley (if you sign him back from Arsenal), are players I always gave preference to when I was Villa manager.

Does anyone know if it makes a tangible difference having players who are fans of the club they play for?

I know it can be easier to sign a player if he's a fan of your club, but apart from that I don't think it makes a big difference.

I'd be very surprised if the player didn't at the very least gain a determination bonus.
Playing for a club you support has to make a difference.

It's something I try to do in most saves - try to sign players who are fans or just promote youth team players who 'care' about the club...as much as computer generated player can do anyway!

I'm wondering if an average team of players who care could compete against technically better players at the highest level in the game. We see it less and less in real life now as football has changed, but I love seeing players like those at Villa, Southampton and a few others who support the club and play for the shirt.

If the player is a supporter of your club, then he gets more fired up for the big derby games. That is always a big bonus to have.. Youth players (Academy), who also support the club tend to be excellent when in the team for those derby games..