boozemonster

Reaction score
As usual of me I've been playing in the South Seas (havent posted on here in a bout a year, and didn't do my yearly Cook Islands Story, but ****)

I've spent about 6-7 seasons trying to recreate/tweak tactics that I have been using in European top divisions and none of them seem to translate at all.

Decided sod it and went back to a good old 442 with out and out wingers... bang won the league two years on the trot and got the Cooks into the finals of the Pacific Games.

Was wondering if anyone else has better results at lower levels using wingers instead of inside forwards?

always use wingers.. dont care about there finishing. just want higher then 15 in crossing, dribbiling and off the ball. bam youve got assist kings on either wing.. strikers dream

7-9 with my lads is good, but considering the quality of the defending, if they drill it in, it could go anywhere. How do you cross?

nope....i used to be very fond of wingers, but these days....i have a fetish to pack my midfield with creativity. So on both wings, i employ 2 APs like Gotze-type (passing and creative)....and have them roam freely. I tend to pick ones with good finishing also, and some decent speed. They can do w/e they feel like doing (with a good decision trait). I don't like limiting my attacking force ^.^ however, the defense is pretty rigid and organized. I usually choose midfielders with at LEAST 15 decision, and 16 creativity when playing the final 1/3. Everything else is a bonus....(except for strikers, off the ball/finishing/composure must be good).

nope....i used to be very fond of wingers, but these days....i have a fetish to pack my midfield with creativity. So on both wings, i employ 2 APs like Gotze-type (passing and creative)....and have them roam freely. I tend to pick ones with good finishing also, and some decent speed. They can do w/e they feel like doing (with a good decision trait). I don't like limiting my attacking force ^.^ however, the defense is pretty rigid and organized. I usually choose midfielders with at LEAST 15 decision, and 16 creativity when playing the final 1/3. Everything else is a bonus....(except for strikers, off the ball/finishing/composure must be good).

That's bold, I don't like the players doing what they want, I'm a Mourinho style manager, I like to dictate strict systems of attack, besides in LLM no one is clever enough to play like that, do you use the new tactic system or the old one? For the fist time I've used the new one and started to use shouts, but I'm not sure, I've always been used to creating tactics that pass the ball into the net, but that isn't happening with the more broad tactical orders.

4-4-2 is my favorite system ! But it can easily turn into a mess if the players aren't disciplined , or don't work hard !

I always use a Box to Box midfielder , to make sure that i have as many players as possible in the box ( two strikers , opposite winger and the BtB M ) !

Crosses are also an easy way to score goals .

Wingers are beast, most of my goals are from the wing not the centre.

That's bold, I don't like the players doing what they want, I'm a Mourinho style manager, I like to dictate strict systems of attack, besides in LLM no one is clever enough to play like that, do you use the new tactic system or the old one? For the fist time I've used the new one and started to use shouts, but I'm not sure, I've always been used to creating tactics that pass the ball into the net, but that isn't happening with the more broad tactical orders.

well....that's only when i have very good/creative midfield. But seriously, i dont like dumbing down my men like that (aside from the defense). I tend to use 4-2-3-1 wide....with the 2 pivots being played as Deep Lying Playmakers. For some reason, i am obsessed with playmakers :[ Although given the freedom, my 2 DLP are very disciplined, and defensive minded (almost a DM kind, but with good passing technique and more freedom to pass when having the ball). I don't use fullbacks to attack that much either. If one goes up, the other must stay, or the DLP must drop down (pretty much impossible but i have them overlapping very little on the wings). More importantly, 2 CBs must be super quick! I never have anything less than 13 acceleration and pace for my cover CB. Ideally, it's 15 or so of courses ^.^

It's also the wing playmaker's jobs to track back defensively, and have them join in attacks ( I have at least like 5 APs in case they get injured and tired). My pitch is also very small (home), to prevent pacey strikers from counter-attacking. Another reason why one CB must be ideally 15+ pace/acceleration.

Oh, and my fullbacks are very quick also for the most part. I will not buy anyone with less than 15 acce, 13 pace, 13 position, and work rate.

Perhaps, the only easy part of my tactic is the striker role :p If you have a midfield full of talents, even michael owen can score a ton of goals ^.^

I always (with a few exceptions) play an offensive 4-4-2 with attacking wingers and wing-backs and crossing to the far post. Not only are my wingers creating probably 90% of my goals, they also score a few themselves. I find it especially effective when I use it in LLM.

I used them in a 433 with a b2b to supplement the attack and it works well. Krasic ( WA) in first or second season with Juve was man of the season.

At AC Milan I used a 4-1-2-1-2 (442 Narrow Diamond) I had great success with it but I did have great players... Iv only used it sparingly at lower levels if you can get the right players Im a firm believer that any formation will work even if the players arnt great... I have the fulls backs set to wingback attack and they basically become wingers...
With Charlton I played a 433 and 4231 with proper wingers and it was successful but Iv found it doesnt work with my Villa side...
IMO Inside forwards with Wingbacks is the way to go... The full backs have become key in modern football they're the players with the most time and space on the pitch...

IMO Inside forwards with Wingbacks is the way to go... The full backs have become key in modern football they're the players with the most time and space on the pitch...

Yeah that's the way I'm playing atm.