Does FM12 hate Manchester United?

Thestaggy

Reaction score
Correction. Excuse my title. I was looking at the FM12 logo and it seems to have imprinted on my mind.

Anyhoo, I'm all the way down in the Blue Sqaure North, but in the premier League, Arsenal and Chelsea are running away, 56 points and 54 points respectively. Then it is Spurs on 47 points, Man City on 45 points, then, wait for it, Fulham (Bobby Zamora is the leagues leading goal scorer) on 44 points before finally, United on a garbage 42 points. I regularly check the EPL and I have not yet seen United crack the top-4. At one point their record was 5 wins, 3 draws and 5 losses.

Now, I thought this was a load of tosh, so I went to check how my brothers game is going. He is Liverpool and is leading, with Chelsea and Arsenal right behind him. But once again, United, in fourth, are some ways off the pace and in a scrap with City & Spurs.

This does not affect me, but surely it is unrealistic for them to be so poor? This is a team that has not yet finished outside the top 3 in nearly 2 decades.

Last edited:
1) no one has Fm12 mate...
2) United do struggle on certain saves.. the AI managers do not buy enough good quality players (alot of youngsters that never develop into anything)

1) no one has Fm12 mate...
2) United do struggle on certain saves.. the AI managers do not buy enough good quality players (alot of youngsters that never develop into anything)

That is quite a poor flaw in the AI. If the game was going to have smart manager AI - in my game who ever is managing Fulham must be a genius - then surely Alex Ferguson and/or United in general should be pretty darn good if realism is the games ultimate objective.

United usually win the prem most of the time on my games, but then in my current one they did sell rooney for 105 million.

the AI manager at United is **** in the game... i've checked with editor and i saw that in alex ferguson's profile his tendencies include "signs a lot of youth players for the first team and "spends a lot on youth signings"... hence the signing of a lot of 16 n 17 years old... but cheer up.. the same happens in my save but they end up winning the league eventually... :D The Reds Go Marching On!!

That is quite a poor flaw in the AI. If the game was going to have smart manager AI - in my game who ever is managing Fulham must be a genius - then surely Alex Ferguson and/or United in general should be pretty darn good if realism is the games ultimate objective.

But remember the fact that this is based on real-life and authenticity. They do not know the potential of a player like a game, the attribute that they are given in the game determines if the player that they see themselves has potential or not. They don't have the scout reports like the user whereby a certain amount of stars dictates their current and potential ability.

United usually win the prem most of the time on my games, but then in my current one they did sell rooney for 105 million.

same.. i just beat them to the title.. they won the league four times in a row since i been in the premier league for the last 5 seasons

In my Spurs save I won the league 6 times in 9 years, but I always struggled against Man U. Usually Rooney scoring a 40 yard equaliser in the 93rd minute, after I'd played them off the park. I think the three times I didn't win the league Man U won it at least once.

i struggle to beat thy Reds Devils, but i still manage to win 3-0 everytime. hahaha
since then they hit the 19 title mark, and then when down to lying everytime at 5th place to as high as 3rd. they have been most of the time in Europa for a long time, and few times coming to the CL

not to say they the downfall happens once ferige retires but its just unsync with their clubs history and their current performance.

Barca are spending like ******* crazy on your save. oO)

Anyways, on topic. Man Utd have been the closest challengers to my Arsenal team for the past seven seasons, in England and in Europe. :p

Think they finished sixth in the first season, then six consecutive 2nd place finishes. :p

Yeah they have, and they seem to be in debt in real life.

But then again Arsenal dont win Trophies in real life, and have dont that 6 or 7 seasons in a row in your game, either the games just unrealistic or you are one AMAZING Manager ;D

It's not that FM hates Man United in particular. I know because I've occasionally considered posting a near-identical post to yours asking "does FM11 hate Chelsea".

Shortly after bringing Bristol City to the Prem they released four quality players on frees for no conceivable reason. It was sufficiently mind-boggling that it almost felt like cheating to snap up three of them (Mohamed Sissoko, Daniel Sturridge and Matej Delac) and I only passed on Ashley Cole because I didn't have the budget. Shortly afterwards they had a shocking season which they spent fighting relegation, during which they could have hired me - manager got sacked, I was frontrunner as replacement, and told the media I'd take it. They didn't stump up the compensation, and my mid-table Bris side subsequently demolished them home and away.

Clearly I wasn't exploiting an AI bug because teams can be saddled with idiots in real life as well - today you only have to look at QPR, Blackburn and Newcastle. And if you think big teams are immune, think of where Liverpool might be if they hadn't been taken over and hadn't gotten rid of Hodgson.

man utd have won the league 3 seasons in a row on mine to be fair, so i doubt the ai is biast

Last edited: