Dog Backpack Good tool for Weight Loss

donkarlito

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used one and is it a good idea because I have a 2yr old Beagle who is overweight so I have tried to stop everyone from giving him scapes of food, he's also on the minimum amount food once a day and he goes for a minimum of an hour+ walk a day.

So after 3 month on this regime everyone saying he's lost got him weighed this morning and no change so I'm getting annoyed the vets said "Its not the exercise it was the fact he was on Bakers complete and its full of salt." They want to go on their dog food which is really expensive so he has been on Chappie.

Salt has nothing to do with weight loss.

Thats not to say it isn't healthy, as excess salt can raise blood pressure, but salt doesn't make you (or a dog) fat/stop you from losing weight.

Vets own dog food is expensive and they get a cut from the producer for getting you to buy it, so of course they want to sell it to you.

Go to a local pet shop, and ask if they have any low calorie food suitable for your dog, i'm confident it will be significantly cheaper than the food the vets tried to sell you. Time can be an issue but try and exercise him as much as possible, he will enjoy it and the more you do it, the more weight he loses.

Salt has nothing to do with weight loss.

Thats not to say it isn't healthy, as excess salt can raise blood pressure, but salt doesn't make you (or a dog) fat/stop you from losing weight.

Vets own dog food is expensive and they get a cut from the producer for getting you to buy it, so of course they want to sell it to you.

Go to a local pet shop, and ask if they have any low calorie food suitable for your dog, i'm confident it will be significantly cheaper than the food the vets tried to sell you. Time can be an issue but try and exercise him as much as possible, he will enjoy it and the more you do it, the more weight he loses.
Excess Salt can cause water retention which causes bloatedness and slows weight loss.

Yes but that is only temporary as water is retained, it's gotta go eventually. Cutting down on salt can cause weight loss, but again, only on a temporary basis as cutting salt out causes the body to expel the water.

:)

Feed him healthier. Get the proper slimming dog food, our Gordon Setter had to be put on that due to some excess fat. Go for runs with the boy!

Vets said that Barkers complete is the same as giving Kids McDonalds every day. So hes on Chappie now which is as basic as you can get. Going runs I do but that interested in smell like Beagles are he decides to go in different direction and drags me with him or stops dead and I end up yanking him which doesnt look nice in front of strangers.

muscle weighs 3 times as much as fat, so he may still weigh the same, but he will be much healthier.

yeah dude bakers is **** for dogs, our golden lab was putting on too much weight, went to vets for a check up on him, and they too said the bakers was bad for him and that was the weight issue. we use thier food and hes on weight now, and with the same amount of exercise he had before.
bakers = **** :)

ps - it wasnt muscle with our dog, it was just his fat gain :)

muscle weighs 3 times as much as fat, so he may still weigh the same, but he will be much healthier.

I hope it is muscle because he is stocky but sometimes he looks fat but I dont like the look the vets give me because I walk as much as I can with him, I dont give him any scapes but the rest of my family do.