Shiggs713

Reaction score
Just thought I would share a tactic that I created recently specifically for lower league management.

I wanted to start a new game with Truro, if you are unfamiliar they are a Blue Square South team, horribly in debt, in administration, over budget, only iirc 7 healthy players on the beginning roster, and another 4 that have long term injuries, and contracts, and team reputation is "obscure".

Basically to sum it up, it is likely the single worst club you could choose to manage in almost any league. I took this meager team and whipped it up into promotion contenders in a single year with this tactic.

The basis of this tactic is a strong defense.

View attachment 365086

Starting as Truro this tactic is ideal, because it will maximize the best tactical duties for your best players. This was basically the idea behind creating this tactic. I've tried many of the tactics around on this forum, many of them are far too fluid or aggressive for LLM, or just simply didn't utilize my players to their best tactical abilities. This tactic solved both problems for me.

A very good Anchor man, and 2 good Target men are key for this tactic at the most basic level. Works best with 1 target man that comes deep to get ball, and the other that plays with his back to the goal. Everything else is icing on the cake.

On Defense the Wingbacks and BWM will pursue the attacking team relentlessly, this leaves your Limited Defenders back holding their line, like they should. In my experience almost all opposition shots will be taken from far outside angles usually into side netting or the stands, or will be highly contested, usually blocked if it is near the center. It is absolutely amazing at forcing opponents to earn everything.

The tactic also has "closing down" and "show onto weak foot" selected against most positions against most formations. This means you will not have to mess with opposition instructions every game if you don't want to, except if an opponent is using an unusual formation.

Results;

View attachment 365089

Here are results from playing a quick season in classic mode. Probably could have did even better, but when I signed 4 players on loans in December (had to wait until the team got sold because they were in administration), the team cohesion dropped a ton and we lost about 4/5 games and did poorly for about a month, but considering I only had 7 healthy players, it was needed so I didn't have to continue to use non contract scrub players the entire season. Actually started out the year on a 19 game unbeaten streak, and it stopped the very first game I put all the loan players in.

Now I know you might be saying, you barely won the league, lost 7 games blah blah. Go look at Truro's roster and then come talk to me. They didn't have a single center defender or left back on the roster at the beginning of the game, and my only rightback has a speed of 3, lol. Trust me, with even a remotely decent back line this tactic will shut down teams a few leagues above, and still offer scoring chances.

The tactic was actually made in the regular mode, but I thought to test it this would be faster. No shouts or opposition instruction changes are necessary.

Any questions feel free to ask

Last edited:
will test this with my guernsey save whats match prep and training thanks

usually I have just done whatever the assistant says for match prep. Training is usually balanced, nothing fancy. I do very hard fitness the first 2-4 weeks, then about a week of team cohesion, then balanced most of the season, unless I see a deficiency.

Not sure how it would do with a top team, but with a relegation favorite, your just about sure to stay up using this.

Also its not necessary but when I see assistant feedback I will usually follow through with it, like if he says we are connecting most of our crosses, I will tell them to "hit early crosses" or "blast the ball into the box" ect... It can help turn draws into wins, or losses into draws.

Probably not perfect really yet, but not sure of any LLM tactic that is, so for what its worth, its worked well for me. I am actually working on a tactic right now that is sort of a combination of this and the Fantastic 361. Its more like a shallow 532 with 3 cb's, 2 wb's 2 bwm's, 2 IF's, and a target man. So far results have been even better than this tactic so look for that soon.

Also just to note, I'm aware that this tactic could be called a 622 or whatever, but its my tactic and thats what I called it, lol, the wb's get forward quite a bit for what its worth.

Last edited:
only played 6 games with it so far w4 l1 d1 f9 a4 the lose was a cup game but thats fine a cup run would be nice but the main thing is going up will keep going with it and let you know how i do but so far so good many thanks

This kind of thing deserves a lot more recognition.

Lower league team tactics are few and far between and, in my opinion, much more of a challenge to get right.

Perhaps for FM14 the mods could consider a lower leagues tactics section on the forum, as these tactics can get easily overlooked and forced down the threads by the more shouty tactics for popular teams?

Anyway, good work shiggs :).

This is an awesome tactic, and like Herne above stated, horribly overlooked.

It's almost an injustice. Good job. :)

only played 6 games with it so far w4 l1 d1 f9 a4 the lose was a cup game but thats fine a cup run would be nice but the main thing is going up will keep going with it and let you know how i do but so far so good many thanks

Very good to hear, glad it is helping!

Thanks for the other comments as well everyone, much appreciated.

Quick update, the Limited defenders might be better off on stopper duty, I've changed it temporarily and the results have been great. Also the other tactic I'm working on is getting closer to completion, the combination of this and the Fantastic 3-6-1. Results have been promising;

View attachment 365735View attachment 365736

Not entirely the truth of the matter though. This time a foreign investor bought the club and threw down $18 million, so I have a big advantage in many areas now by the end of December. Instantly went pro ( & resigned all players to full time) and did double upgrades on youth and training facilities, so premiership here I come. Allowed budget went from 2.1k/week to 25k/week + 6 million in transfer funds available LOL.

View attachment 365745

I've been almost exclusively using my newer tactic (as above) for these results, though I have thrown in the 352 (now calling it 622 counter) on occasion for injuries and fitness, and a 3rd one that is exactly like the 622 counter except it is called 622 control, and I'd bet you can guess the difference. I'll upload them all and change the first post here in a few days hopefully, once I have enough satisfactory results.

Last edited: