MurrayTheMac

Reaction score
Managing Wycombe, made the step up from League 1 to Championship ... and now I'm getting completely and totally destroyed, every single game.

A lot of the time I get decent possession, but hardly any shots on target. They just take long shots. Instructing them not to doesn't seem to help any; then I just fail to get any shots at all.

I either get completely destroyed all over the stats, or I dominate the game, have loads of shots which don't go anywhere, and then lose because the 2-3 shots my opponent has turn into goals (or at least CCCs).

Here's a typical situation:

View attachment 347108

Tactic:
View attachment 347109

So what do I do? This was working great in League 1, now I'm bottom of the table halfway through the season.

whose ur st. mite be that he isint good enough. ur playing short passes so is he quick with comp n drib. look at glen murry. i was at arsnal for 1 year then whent to crystal palice they were in league 1. i won league one first year then got to prem in pay off next youising him. also look at benny macarthy ex blackburn st. quite slow but exlant at cam behind murry. he is old so real cheap 38 i think

try using playing style on defealt since you are in higher league they have to get known with the league first, so keep the tactic very simple: example only use quick playing style and rest default

The first thing I would change is so that one of the CMs stays back and cuts angels, like a CM on defend or a DPL on defend Secondly, when you have possession and the opponent sit with their team behind the ball, you will have no playersdropping deep form advanced position to drag the defenders out if position. Why not use at least one of the wingers on support an maybe look at some shouts for the fullbacks when seing fit. The DPL will also solve the problem of not having any creative player sitting deep.

The first thing I would change is so that one of the CMs stays back and cuts angels, like a CM on defend or a DPL on defend Secondly, when you have possession and the opponent sit with their team behind the ball, you will have no playersdropping deep form advanced position to drag the defenders out if position. Why not use at least one of the wingers on support an maybe look at some shouts for the fullbacks when seing fit. The DPL will also solve the problem of not having any creative player sitting deep.
Just so I'm clear, you're suggesting replacing the AP with a DLP, as opposed to having both?

Which of my central midfields would have an attack duty then? I surely can't have just my striker and one of my wingers with an attack duty?

Just so I'm clear, you're suggesting replacing the AP with a DLP, as opposed to having both?

Which of my central midfields would have an attack duty then? I surely can't have just my striker and one of my wingers with an attack duty?

Why not a CM/attack, DPL/Defend and a CM/support. I just find it risky to use ballwinners without any cover of a DMC.

I appreciate the help, but not really changing anything. My midfielders spend frickin' ages doing nothing but knocking it about amongst themselves until either one of them tries to take a long shot or they give the ball up. My striker may as well not be involved at all for all he gets hold of the ball, and absolutely no changes I've been making seem to be able to change this behaviour. I'm sick of seeing that ball get fruitlessly passed between my CMs, knowing it's not going to come to anything.

Just played Burnley at home. 8 shots on goal, 8 of them long shots. What the **** am I supposed to do?

Last edited:
I appreciate the help, but not really changing anything. My midfielders spend frickin' ages doing nothing but knocking it about amongst themselves until either one of them tries to take a long shot or they give the ball up. My striker may as well not be involved at all for all he gets hold of the ball, and absolutely no changes I've been making seem to be able to change this behaviour. I'm sick of seeing that ball get fruitlessly passed between my CMs, knowing it's not going to come to anything.

Just played Burnley at home. 8 shots on goal, 8 of them long shots. What the **** am I supposed to do?

hi mate first i would move ur cm back and make him a anchor , make him playmaker, then make ur fb cut inside , i know this sounds mad try it , also change to style - balanced and strategy - standard.

Chair boys!

I got Wycombe to the CL final through defensive counter attacking football, but I've had plenty of experience trying to get dominating tactics working.

id up the tempo, get the moving quicker so teams can't organise their shape.