Dont understand how I lost the player to a transfer I said no to. (2nd Spain league)

Jatjr

Reaction score
I told the 22-years-old player that he is staying put in my spanish club. He wanted to move to a bigger club. He has a contract until 2021. I was paying him 120k (I think, I cannot verify because I play online). He was not happy about this. Fast forward a bit while later, I received an email saying that he is happy to continue to stay at my club. I thought "Good that this worked out completely".

Well, Some time later soon, I received 7.5k (yes you read this correctly) transfer offer from Recreativo (same league as me in 2nd spain league). "Wtf lol!" I thought so I rejected. Next thing, my player wanted an improved contract because of interests. "You can't be serious", I first thought "it was a ****** 7k offer!!!" Fine whatever he is a good player and I want to keep him. He has that "Potential to be a LIGA BBVA central defender in future" and already is a starter at my club. Next thing I see, he wants 463k salary (or at least according to agent I was talking to) and not only that, that Agent also wanted 185k agent fee (come on now!). My club refuse to pay a player with that salary because I see it is gray out. So I click down-arrow once to see what is the cap and it was all the way down around 220k. I thought, he already have a contract until 2021. I walked away and now I see he wants to talk again. I concluded that conversation by saying that he is sticking to his contract until 2021. Time goes by, I have received 7k transfer offer by Recreativo twice. After what happened, I of course is ticked off and clicked Reject.

All the sudden, one day, Some club Getafe has signed him a contract. I was shocked "WTF I said no!" and he was apparently sold for 30k!!! I can't believe it. I do not understand how did this happen. I NEVER wanted to sell him. HOW DID THIS HAPPENED? Are there some rules I am not understanding?! This happened August 20th which is during transfer period. During transfer period, I can easily lose my players even though if I already told them no and they are staying at my club?

Please help me understand this. Thanks in advance.

Same happened to me few times. Still don't understand how...

This may be way too obvious, but I assume that under "staff responsibilities" you made sure that you - not the DOF or someone else - handles transfer offers?

I told the 22-years-old player that he is staying put in my spanish club. He wanted to move to a bigger club. He has a contract until 2021. I was paying him 120k (I think, I cannot verify because I play online). He was not happy about this. Fast forward a bit while later, I received an email saying that he is happy to continue to stay at my club. I thought "Good that this worked out completely".

Well, Some time later soon, I received 7.5k (yes you read this correctly) transfer offer from Recreativo (same league as me in 2nd spain league). "Wtf lol!" I thought so I rejected. Next thing, my player wanted an improved contract because of interests. "You can't be serious", I first thought "it was a ****** 7k offer!!!" Fine whatever he is a good player and I want to keep him. He has that "Potential to be a LIGA BBVA central defender in future" and already is a starter at my club. Next thing I see, he wants 463k salary (or at least according to agent I was talking to) and not only that, that Agent also wanted 185k agent fee (come on now!). My club refuse to pay a player with that salary because I see it is gray out. So I click down-arrow once to see what is the cap and it was all the way down around 220k. I thought, he already have a contract until 2021. I walked away and now I see he wants to talk again. I concluded that conversation by saying that he is sticking to his contract until 2021. Time goes by, I have received 7k transfer offer by Recreativo twice. After what happened, I of course is ticked off and clicked Reject.

All the sudden, one day, Some club Getafe has signed him a contract. I was shocked "WTF I said no!" and he was apparently sold for 30k!!! I can't believe it. I do not understand how did this happen. I NEVER wanted to sell him. HOW DID THIS HAPPENED? Are there some rules I am not understanding?! This happened August 20th which is during transfer period. During transfer period, I can easily lose my players even though if I already told them no and they are staying at my club?

Please help me understand this. Thanks in advance.

Still don't understand how...
o.png

Maybe he was so unhappy at the club, that the board decided to sell him without you knowing it. Has happened to me, really frustrating, but there's nothing you can do. Else wright in on the endless list of bugs.

Also every Spanish player has a release clause in their contract so Getafe could have met his clause leaving you powerless if not probably someone else accepted it on your behalf

Happened to me once or twice with a reason from the board: 'The offer was too good to turn down' or something like that. But I would lie if I would say that was the fact in your case. :D

Selling him for 30k...****** ****, why not exchange him for 5 match balls and a big mac?

Is it too late now or is he still considering the contract offer from Getafe?

Ok After my last session, I looked all over the place. There was only one thing I could find was that my Director of Football have "handles first team transfer/loan" (and youth one as well). I changed that to my responsibilities now. I am going to have to assume that was what made me lose the player in the first place. But to be fair, I did not place him on transfer list or anything so I don't see how he was going to be sold in the first place? If it is totally up to DOF to handle all these things, I really wish they should ask me FIRST for approval. (Other words, have my "stamp of approval" on it before it goes out) This future premier league DC was sold for 30k, who in their right mind would do this!

It is possible he had Release Fee clause, this too I learned what it actually does so I have to do better job on making new contracts for my players in future. Since I can't recall what was his Release Fee clause, I can assume it was set to low. (I did receive ridiculously low offers for him so that may have been the main factor)

My last thoughts, I have seen loan offers coming up to me for approval instead of my DOF handling himself. So I don't think he went away with the 30k transfer offer. I think it had to be 30k release fee clause that he did, in fact, had.

The only lessons I can learn from here:

1) Never ever assign the responsibilities of handling transfers and loans to anyone but yourself
2) Do not allow cheap Release Fee clause in contract offers

Happened to me once or twice with a reason from the board: 'The offer was too good to turn down' or something like that. But I would lie if I would say that was the fact in your case. :D

Selling him for 30k...****** ****, why not exchange him for 5 match balls and a big mac?

Is it too late now or is he still considering the contract offer from Getafe?
Yes it is too late :/
Also every Spanish player has a release clause in their contract so Getafe could have met his clause leaving you powerless if not probably someone else accepted it on your behalf
I think this is what it happened.
This may be way too obvious, but I assume that under "staff responsibilities" you made sure that you - not the DOF or someone else - handles transfer offers?
I found DOF had these responsibilities but I still received transfer and loan offers that it is up to me to accept or reject so I don't think he really did away with 30k transfer bid. The only logic I could find was the 30k release clause that my player apparently had. (this probably explains why I was receiving silly 7k transfer offers)

Last edited:
If it is totally up to DOF to handle all these things, I really wish they should ask me FIRST for approval. (Other words, have my "stamp of approval" on it before it goes out) This future premier league DC was sold for 30k, who in their right mind would do this!

You've already told him he doesn't need to ask for your approval by giving him that responsibility.
Traditionally, the role of a First team Manager is just to manage the club's first team. Player sales and purchases are handled by the board. England is the odd one out by giving the manager full control (unless you hire a Director of Football where you'll by default, give him his responsibilities: He's technically your boss, and he answers tot he board :p). You'll know in future now to make sure you've full control of the club :)

Last edited:
First thing I do when I arrive in a club is sacking the DOF.