Dortmund Dominating - 5-3-2 Gegenpres

Guldbrand

Reaction score
Hi

I would like to share my tactic with you guys - Its a tactic with 11 players, where Haaland is one of them, and the remaining doesn't matter. :D
Just to give you a proof of that - Haaland is up with 36 goals in 15(2) matches - Absolutely fantastic !

Haaland.png

To be a bit more serious, then this is the formation of my tactic - The main objective with this tactic, is to be a massive threat in the center of the pitch, but with the possibility to put it wide to the wingbacks.. The tactic is also inspired by Jurgen Klopps gegenpres systems, so this is also something that I have tried to apply to this tactic - and with big success.

I am still experimenting with some of the roles with this tactic - This is especially the role next to Haaland and the offensive midfielder. At the moment, these are my favorite roles and I hope to bring more goals into the team from these positions, so not everything relies on Haaland. (He is scoring for every 32,56 minutes in the Bundesliga !)

In the center midfield, its important to have players with high stamina, physical attributes but also good technique - and in general all over the pitch, players that can perform in a gegenpres tactic. And one of the most important things - Fast defenders and a keeper that are great in one-on-one situations.

Formation.png

One of the key objectives with my tactic is my pressing. The whole idea, is to let the opponent have the ball and let them play it around in their defense, and if they get the idea to kick a long ball behind my defense line, then I am well covered with fast defenders and a strong keeper in one-on-one situations. That main skill is actually why Bürki is my first choice!

As soon, as the ball gets carried longer up in the pitch, then the pressure sets in, and I will chase the opponents in small areas and with a lot of aggression.
Its very important that I don't press high, because it will leave more spaces between my lines. With this tactic, even the strong sides are having a lot of difficulties to create chances against me. - this is proven by my 4-0 victory against Bayern and a 5-1 victory against Manchester City!
Pres.png

Results so far:

Results.png

And the League table
Bundesliga.png

Attachments

• Haaland.png
    Haaland.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 129
Where is the file tho?
The file? You have everything you need to be able to dublicate the tactic and try it your self.. and if not, this is also meant as an inspiration to other - im sure the same pressing style can be applied for many other formations 👍

I would like to appreciate the effort you have put into writing this blog. I hope you will have more quality articles in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, just to finish off my season with Dortmund, I did end up winning the Bundesliga - Undefeated!
28W 6D 0L - and 90 points.

The Cup was also won, and in the Champions League i beated Juventus, before Bayern knocked me out in the quarter finals. (1-0 home, 0-2 away)
Through out the whole second half of season, Haaland was unhappy because he wanted to move to a bigger club, and Hummels was unhappy because I accepted an offer from United (He rejected) - I believe this, and injuries, had a bad influence on my team. Even though I got the results, I was struggeling in many games - And I can't stop thinking, if I could bring the Champions League titel with a happy Haaland and Hummels on the team.

And Regarding Haaland - He ended up with 68 goals in 37(7) games.

After my first season with Dortmund, I started to play with my favorite team in Denmark - Odense Boldklub.
Its a team predicted as 7th (out of 12 teams), but with fairly good players, and actually players that fit this tactic. - I am currently 1st with 5 wins and 1 draw and a goal scorer on 17-3. (allready met the 3 top teams as well..)

So this tactic can definitely be used with other teams as well - Also teams without Haaland. :p

You cant "copy" cause no one had no idea what your player roles are. I dont even know, why you posting a tactic and not share it with the community. No one cares about a tactic, who will not be shared. Everyone can create a tactic and "cheat" some results with saves and reloading. Just share it if it's so great, then at least you'll get feedback.

You cant "copy" cause no one had no idea what your player roles are. I dont even know, why you posting a tactic and not share it with the community. No one cares about a tactic, who will not be shared. Everyone can create a tactic and "cheat" some results with saves and reloading. Just share it if it's so great, then at least you'll get feedback.

If you look at the very first SS, you can see all player roles and instructions.. So im sorry, - there are noting that prevent you to make the same tactic as mine and test for your self..

Just above the player names on the pitch, you get all roles.. There are not given any specific instructions for any of the players.

To clear everyone doubts about this thread:

1- The thread ist created under FM22 Tactics but ont on the share section, meaning that Gulbrand wants to share with us is tactical thoughts, the tatical file isnt required here.
2 - Try all to be polite to each others, there is no need for mockery or insults or whatever.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
Thank you Krovsky for clarifying.. And just to follow up on this, then this is not supposed to be a plug-and-play tactic, this is meant as a inspiration for others. Im confident, that this pressing/play style, can be implemented with many different kind of formations and player roles.. So its not specific for this formation and the roles I have chosen..

With that said, I have tested this tactic with my favorite club in Denmark - Odense Boldklub. A club predicted to finish 7th in the league (out of 12 teams) with a odds of 51 to win.
And again, this tactic shows to work fantastic, even without a top division team. With OB I experienced, that more players where involved in the goalscoring, and especially my offensive midfielder showed up as a good goalscorer.

Just as with Dortmund, I started to notice that my tactic decreased in effectiveness, and I started to loose more points. At Dortmund I thought it was due to unhappiness and injuries, but with OB, i feel like the opponent began reading my tactic - ind the end, I got the results and secured the title - But I believe its a good idea to shift some of the roles doing the season - Maybe even have a second backup formation... I think - just by changing the offensive midfielders and the attcker to the right roles, you can accomplish to get good results for the whole season, and not have periods with mixing results..

stillingen.png

But as i said - I really think this tactic/playstyle can work with different formations and roles - So I hope some will try it, and share your thoughts on how it work... (y)

Really like the look of this, are there any specific Player Instructions?