• Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 2K

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
Dots & Crosses

Scott-Parker-006.jpg

Scott Parker. Not relevant here, but I quite like him. Also, he looks like he's
celebrating the start of a mediocre and overly-long blog on football.

Dots&Crosses is a one-man blog that aims to provide detailed tactical analyses on a range of subjects in football.

Originally starting as a series of posts in football forums across the internet (here! Feel proud you inspired the birth of this piece of ****) in April 2011 Dots&Crosses was started up to provide a base and archive for all the reports produced. Using stats from sources like Opta and WhoScored, D&C analyses both games (in match reports) and specific teams or tactical innovations (through general articles).

The lack of detail and analysis in the mainstream media is alarming nowadays, and the surfacing of such websites as ZonalMarking shows the recent backlash against it. As such, D&C attempts to marry an analytical and unbiased style with the broader, generalised style the media favour today.

Using such visual aids such as Guardian Chalkboards and my homemade (read: *****) diagrams coupled with stats from the sources mentioned above, D&C has so far covered the following subjects:

Is Daniel Sturridge the man to solve Fernando Torres' Chelsea woes?

Covering:
- Danny Sturridge's U21 international role
- Torres' Chelsea woes
- Learning lessons from the past
- How the two could combine

England 1-1 Ghana - Match Report

Covering:
- The ****** game, you idiot.

How Napoli turned Serie A upside down

Covering:
- The startling change in Napoli's fortunes
- The change in personnel
- Their tactics in Serie A this season
- Their brilliant front three

Who can be England's destroyer?

Covering:
- England's new formation
- The pivotal holding midfield position
- The contenders for the role

Aston Villa 1-1 Stoke - Match Report

Covering:
- Uh... take a wild guess.

What next for England tactically?

Covering:
- England's failure at the World Cup (because we all need to relive that)
- The new system under Capello
- Three likely formations...
- ...and a possible 4-6-0
- Oh, and this author's impending collapse through exhaustion since I spent two hours straight writing blog entries.
Sorry to disappoint, I'm not quite dead yet.

Not to mention the other posts you can find littering this forum, though they're so out of date it isn't worth picking them up again now. So yeah: Visit here, comment, analyse, disagree with me, suggest articles and follow me on Twitter as @NTMeredith.

Sucks.

3 blogs in one go? Take a break, you little tactical workhorse.

Sucks.

3 blogs in one go? Take a break, you little tactical workhorse.

Three blog posts in 3 days, actually, and I've just finished the prelims for another one that might go up tomorrow.

You don't consider Scholes a ball winner? Shameful, there's nothing better than a typical Scholesy challenge!

I think Parker deserves it, was excellent against Wales and will still be in his prime for the Euro's. He seems like a player that'd do anything his country asked of him too, and I believe he definitely has the intelligence and discipline to do as required.

Rodwell for the future, though!

New article on D&C. Bit rushed though, and not much to talk about in a rather one-sided game.

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Manchester City

Covering:
- Cut-size match report
- City's astonishing first-half dominance
- Blackburn's multifunctional defenders

Two shots, both chips, both missed. .

Two Chips lol i might have known XD

At Arsenal he was known to come off the bench when we are winning 3-0 to score a chip and make it 4 lol

Two Chips lol i might have known XD

At Arsenal he was known to come off the bench when we are winning 3-0 to score a chip and make it 4 lol

Tell me about it, every time I've seen him he's only ever shot with chips. Next season will be make or break for him, to see whether he can carve himself a place for Arsenal.

---------- Post added 03/05/2011 at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was 30/04/2011 at 11:18 PM ----------

NEW ON D&C:

The great Arsenal defensive myth
A short article

Covering:
- Why Arsenal's defence isn't their weak spot
- Statistics and analysis, but mostly just judgement
- Why the media are idiots

Excellent stuff, as always.

Before long you'll have the coveted status of having "horrible bias" whatever you write! Welcome to the Internet..

Excellent stuff, as always.

Before long you'll have the coveted status of having "horrible bias" whatever you write! Welcome to the Internet..

Unlike you, I write about a whole bunch of other teams, so I couldn't possibly be accused of bias!

...right?

Unlike you, I write about a whole bunch of other teams, so I couldn't possibly be accused of bias!

...right?

Wrong!

We write about why Arsenal haven't won anything in 6 years, and we're biased.

Wrong!

We write about why Arsenal haven't won anything in 6 years, and we're biased.

You're telling me. Ix is a very angry young person, judging by her Twitter. :P

The article I just did really annoyed me, I was going to make it longer but nothing would form cogent sentences. Just made it a small thing otherwise I'd end up ranting about how the media are dickheads and you sheep only encourage them you bastards. I particularly liked the comment someone left, as I considered just saying "fffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFF IT'S HERE FOR GOD'S SAKES" and linking your Mighty Transition article.

NEW ON D&C:

The great Arsenal defensive myth
A short article

Covering:
- Why Arsenal's defence isn't their weak spot
- Statistics and analysis, but mostly just judgement
- Why the media are idiots

This is the best article I've read in a while. Tweeted and Facebooked (?): trying to get as many United couch fans to read it.

Calum posted that last article up here: The great Arsenal defensive myth - Online Arsenal Forums

Predictably, the comments so far have been exactly what I was railing against.

A) Pique is a very talented defender, and a ******* mile ahead of Squillaci.
B) Just because a defender is English, doesn't make him better. There is no way you 'need' an English defender to win anything.
C) Unless you want to make value judgements (which I have a bit, so that it isn't too analytical) then you HAVE to trust the data. Also, looks like he ignored my data about how many shots the opposition get off.
D) Since when was English players costing more a cliche? It's the truth!

Sorry. Needed to vent. It frustrates me when stuff like this happens.

Calum posted that last article up here: The great Arsenal defensive myth - Online Arsenal Forums

Predictably, the comments so far have been exactly what I was railing against.

A) Pique is a very talented defender, and a ******* mile ahead of Squillaci.
B) Just because a defender is English, doesn't make him better. There is no way you 'need' an English defender to win anything.
C) Unless you want to make value judgements (which I have a bit, so that it isn't too analytical) then you HAVE to trust the data. Also, looks like he ignored my data about how many shots the opposition get off.
D) Since when was English players costing more a cliche? It's the truth!

Sorry. Needed to vent. It frustrates me when stuff like this happens.

lol what did you expect to be fair?

Arsenal's problems imo largely come down to lack of communcation/control and buckling under pressure, none of it requires an english defender, and clichy to be less costly with mistakes and have more games like he did against us

You're telling me. Ix is a very angry young person, judging by her Twitter. :P

The article I just did really annoyed me, I was going to make it longer but nothing would form cogent sentences. Just made it a small thing otherwise I'd end up ranting about how the media are dickheads and you sheep only encourage them you bastards. I particularly liked the comment someone left, as I considered just saying "fffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFF IT'S HERE FOR GOD'S SAKES" and linking your Mighty Transition article.

Ha yeah - she doesn't help herself to be fair, but then a lot of people hold her comments on other forums ages ago against her without reading anything we write. They just jump on the "You're biased!" bandwagon which is sometimes funny because you know they haven't read the article and haven't bothered to and is sometimes just depressing at how much abuse people get. The other article you linked to was by LadyArse - she gets a ridiculous amount of abuse for just trying to be positive about stuff.

The wonders of the internet....

This is the best article I've read in a while. Tweeted and Facebooked (?): trying to get as many United couch fans to read it.

AHEM!!! ;)

Thanks again for the plug by the way, GC. Excellent article and I'll comment on it myself when I get a moment's peace!

Back