England66

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering is it possible to be able to make a midfield that has two b2b players where one will sit and the other will go forward alternating from the off? I really want to play two really dynamic players that both can attack and defend but obviously on this setting they both just go forward and back at the same time. I want it so they decide who goes forward at which time and who holds.

I know this sounds really complicated but I think it would defo improve my tactic and make it much more dynamic.

well dlps is a default holding role, that also does occasional running on the ball and is a playmaker aswell. It is both defensive, creative and with support duty helps attack. I usually pair two of those with a bwmd or regista or shadow striker, as you also need an agressor in midfield.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was looking to play a 433 with an anchor in DM to protect the back four but wanted a real dynamic 2 in the MC slots to push forward and hassle the opposition but they do everything at the same time which is a bit annoying. I am thinking a bit like the way France played in the world cup in that matiudi and Pogba both pushed forward and defended but at different times. That is what I am aiming for but without sliders it seems impossible.

Only thing I could probably suggest is having something like LCM: CM(D) and RCM: BBM(S) and then having the exact same system but switching it to LCM: BBM(S) and RCM: CM(D) and just manually switching between the two tactics in game. But I do realise how impractical this is, and it's something that's limited in FM, that players don't really form intelligent partnerships such as this. Or something of a player instruction i.e. if X player pushes forward, hold position.

OR I'm just being incredibly dumb and you can do it... haha.

Yeah, I was looking to play a 433 with an anchor in DM to protect the back four but wanted a real dynamic 2 in the MC slots to push forward and hassle the opposition but they do everything at the same time which is a bit annoying. I am thinking a bit like the way France played in the world cup in that matiudi and Pogba both pushed forward and defended but at different times. That is what I am aiming for but without sliders it seems impossible.

anchor man is another holding role, not an agressor. Take a look here: Central Midfielders | Football Manager 2014 Guide

anchor man is another holding role, not an agressor. Take a look here: Central Midfielders | Football Manager 2014 Guide

Yeah, I wanted both the B2B to be the aggressors but transferring positions in a way so one attacks one sits then the one that sits hassles when there is a turnover of play. The anchor is then sitting to prevent balls in between the lines. Sorry if this was unclear.

Only thing I could probably suggest is having something like LCM: CM(D) and RCM: BBM(S) and then having the exact same system but switching it to LCM: BBM(S) and RCM: CM(D) and just manually switching between the two tactics in game. But I do realise how impractical this is, and it's something that's limited in FM, that players don't really form intelligent partnerships such as this. Or something of a player instruction i.e. if X player pushes forward, hold position.

OR I'm just being incredibly dumb and you can do it... haha.

That is a good suggestion, but as you alluded to it is very impractical. I think this is one of the things that has to be looked at for the next FM as with the sliders and previous settings was possible. Now although becoming more realistic you have lost a massive element of control with the new tactic system. The instructions themselves are not enough for me. The idea that you can only tell everyone or no one to press is annoying. Yes you can still set the instructions but they are limited. It's like the sliders but can only set them to certain areas based on other settings which is not how it was before.

Getting rid of the sliders was the best thing they did with the game. You don't have to have everybody pressing or nobody pressing. Just like you would in the old tactical interface, if you don't want them to close down, you tick the close down less on player instructions for a particular player and voila. Magic.

Midfield idea is interesting although having two players doing the same job on the pitch seems a bit wasted on me. Any reason why you'd prefer this over a one bombing forward all the time and one doing the back and forth work? Or just an idea in your head? :)

Getting rid of the sliders was the best thing they did with the game. You don't have to have everybody pressing or nobody pressing. Just like you would in the old tactical interface, if you don't want them to close down, you tick the close down less on player instructions for a particular player and voila. Magic.

Midfield idea is interesting although having two players doing the same job on the pitch seems a bit wasted on me. Any reason why you'd prefer this over a one bombing forward all the time and one doing the back and forth work? Or just an idea in your head? :)

It is much more difficult to mark players that way. Especially if you tick on roaming.