donkarlito

Reaction score
Can someone explain the "Double pivot"in football and how you can achieve this in football manager

My suggestions:
Target Man (Attack)
Defensive Winger (Support) - Advanced Playmaker (Attack) - Defensive Winger (Support)
Deep lying (Support) - Ball Winning (Defend)

Reading a few articles say that teams like arsenal, spain, germany and I think madrid played with it when juande ramos was in charge

A double pivot is when a team deploys two deep-lying players. Generally, they have similar, but slightly different roles. In both the German and Spanish national teams, for instance play a holder, a player who sits deep and breaks up play (Khedira and Busquets) alongside a more cultured passer who distributes from deep (Schweinsteiger and Alonso). However, in teams such as the Uruguay national team, they play with two destroyers, albeit with one more advanced than the other.

See my formations and tactics guide in my sig for more detail, if you want to see how to implement it into FM.

Last edited:
A double pivot is when a team deploys two deep-lying players. Generally, they have similar, but slightly different roles. In both the German and Spanish national teams, for instance play a holder, a player who sits deep and breaks up play (Khedira and Busquets) alongside a more cultured passer who distributes from deep (Schweinsteiger and Alonso). However, in teams such as the Uruguay national team, they play with two destroyers, albeit with one more advanced than the other.

Does the double pivot allow one player to go forward and one stay back and then swap? or is that something else

Does the double pivot allow one player to go forward and one stay back and then swap? or is that something else

Could do, if you had particularly versatile players capable of playing either position equally well. Daniele De Rossi and David Pizarro, for example, both play equally well in either position for Roma.

Could do, if you had particularly versatile players capable of playing either position equally well. Daniele De Rossi and David Pizarro, for example, both play equally well in either position for Roma.

How would you do that on fm I thought swapping the players roles might work

Could this work with Nigel De Jong & Yaya Toure or Patrick Viera could be useful in this situation?

Could this work with Nigel De Jong & Yaya Toure or Patrick Viera could be useful in this situation?

It would work with Yaya and Viera, Viera use to make runs from deep during arsenal unbeaten season

How would you do that on fm I thought swapping the players roles might work

Setting them to switch position with each other would work.

Yeah, that'd work perfectly with any of the three. That said, Vieira and Toure are the more rounded players so it might work better with them.