RampageVin

Reaction score
The idea of the "Suffoco" is relatively new in the world of football. In the FM world, its known as the defensive forward. The suffoco is summed up here, "It's born directly from the existence of the regista, and it's been cropping up quietly in Europe. How do you stop the regista dictating? You stick a man on him to nullify his influence.With a regista typically so deep he's within whispering distance of the central defender, the only man you deploy to irritate him is the No. 10.
So the No. 10's role changes, it is to stifle, not create. Andrea Pirlo's influence during Italy vs. Croatia in Euro 2012 was severely limited due to Mario Mandzukic's dogged pressure.
Marouane Fellaini has been an absolute revelation in this role over the past few weeks, nullifying Manchester United's Michael Carrick both offensive and defensively." This is taken from 8 World Football Tactical Terms You Need to Know in 2012 | Bleacher Report
I haven't seen any tactics with a defensive forward. I figure that with my tactic, the two suffocos can mark the central defenders as well as the defensive midfielders, allowing the central striker to just attack. I also wanted a role for Messi, who I signed for a cheeky 9 million in 2020 in my Porto save. Messi's false nine role allows him to roam the field and the two defensive forwards keep pressure off of him to allow him to work his magic. I also wanted to mix two great philosophy's together. I essentially mixed Pep Guardiola's tiki taka approach with Jupp Heyncke
s' suffoco. Mario Mandžukić plays the suffoco brilliantly for Bayern as well as for Croatia in the last European Championship.
The Midfield is a single pivot, set off a lone anchoring midfielder, characteristic of Pep's Barcelona. The MCL will contribute to recycle possession and spray passes all around, much like Xavi. The MCR will act as Iniesta's role, acting as a playmaker.
The Defense is simple as well. The two wingbacks shuttle up and down the field, attacking and defending and the central defenders just defend.

View attachment 352441

View attachment 352442

Please feel free to change the tactic up to help your results. Good luck!

I've won all the games with the tactic, I thrashed Bayern with my Porto team while we were home.