FM_TNSSO

Reaction score
1605045355469.png

Double Whopper!!

OK, so I chose a story title for effect just to get your view to see what it was all about... You're here now so I guess it worked and while you're here, I hope you enjoy following this story.

The title does have some significance to the story and career I have chosen to undertake though. As you will no doubt be aware, the Double Whopper is one of the most famous burgers from the Burger King menu....bare with me - there is a football link here! I'm not just randomly sharing my favourite fast foods with you all.

1605045462237.png

Burger King are the surprise sponsors of Stevenage Borough Football Club, who currently play their football in the 4th tier (League Two) of English football. Why would a big old corporate like Burger King want to sponsor little old Stevenage Town I hear you say!? Well, rumour has it that it was a marketing ploy to get some advertising on the likes of FIFA and dare I say it, Football Manager. And it only went and bl00dy worked as Stevenage became the most played team in FIFA 20 on Twitch and are now known around the world!! This might have something to do with the fact that the fast food giants offered out free Whoppers and chips to gamers for completing in game challenges as The Boro - turns out the worldwide gamer population are suckers for a big juicy burger and fries!!

1605045502201.png

So my aim is to turn little old Stevenage Borough into a team that their 'now' worldwide following and huge sponsor deserves! Take them to the very top and make Burger King proud....but it won't be easy! Stevenage only managed to stay in the professional football leagues in England last season after finishing 23rd in League Two. And if it wasn't for Macclesfield Town's points deduction during the campaign, they would have finished bottom and gone down into the National League....so I'm up against it!

league history.jpg

In fact, it's fair to say that Stevenage have been on a bit of a downward spiral for a few years now, since the 2011/12 season when they finished 6th in League One. Enter Chris Ball to get the line on that chart moving in an upward direction again!

Chris Ball.jpg

This is me. A professional footballer at just a local level and new to the management side of the game, with a point to prove and a lot of free burgers to eat (I've been promised by the board that I get a free Whopper meal for every win we chalk up! In fact, it's the main reason I took the job!).

Next post we'll take a look at the club in a little more detail, current financial state, stadium, facilities and squad. As we go on with this story, please feel free to drop your comments in and I hope you enjoy following my progress as much as I think I'm going to enjoy playing it!

1605126219613.png

First Day On The Job

1605126293389.png

I rock up to the Lamex Stadium for my first day and the first thing on the agenda was a meeting with the bosses to discuss the vision of the football club.

vision.jpg

For a club that stayed in this division by the skin of their teeth last season, the board sure had high expectations for the upcoming campaign as they want a top half finish out of me within my first 12 months in charge. Longer term, the plan is to become a stable and established team in the division above, which is realistic I think. They'd prefer for me to bring youth players through the club, but it's not an essential aspect I'll be judged on. Naturally, I'll be looking to give youth a chance here anyway....if you're good enough, you're old enough....that's the message being sent out.

finances.jpg

The club is in a decent enough position financially, with nearly half a mil stashed away and £50k made available to me to improve my squad during the Summer window before the season kicks off.

Squad.jpg

As I met the team for the first time, first thing I noticed was that I have a large number of players at my disposal and that could definitely work to our advantage with the games coming thick and fast throughout the entire season down at this level. It's worth noting that my Assistant Manager seems to have a fairly high opinion of plenty of my players and the potential for most of the squad is pretty impressive. Maybe that top half finish isn't out of reach after all.

list.jpg

Being a Gillingham fan myself, I'm delighted to be linking up with Elliott List who has just joined Stevenage from my beloved Gills. Always fancied List as a decent enough player at Gillingham, albeit not the most consistent. However, I'm hoping he's found his level now and could definitely turn out to be one of our stars of the season if I can get the best out of him. That pace is going to scare the **** out of any defender down here in the 4th tier.

newton.jpg

It's always nice to see a half decent striker in your squad when you take over a new club and Danny Newton certainly looks decent enough for this level. He's not exactly set the world alight though with 22 goals in 80 appearances over the last 4 years for The Boro and I'll be looking for a better return from my best front man.

coker.jpg

Ben Coker is one of the more senior members of the team at 31 years old, but without doubt he is one of my most impressive players when you're looking at stats alone. The left back can tackle, he can cross, he can dribble, he can pass, he can mark....for a League Two club, he looks like a very, very good player!

friendlies.jpg

We have six friendlies scheduled before the competitive stuff starts. That should give me some time to figure out some more about my players, their strengths and weaknesses, and what formation/style we are likely to play this season.

1605220892584.png

August 2020

papa johns draw.jpg

We’ve been handed an extremely tough group draw in the Mickey Mouse Cup….I mean Papa Johns Trophy! Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to lift any form of silverware, but nobody really takes this competition seriously…literally unless you get to the final!

coker injury.jpg

Injury
Now that is a massive blow!! Ben Coker was one of the players I highlighted in my last post as one of the best at the club and he’ll now miss the whole season with injury!!

carabao draw.jpg

We’ll do really well to get through the First Round of the Carabao Cup, as we’re handed a really tough away tie at Championship side Brentford.

mvoto.jpg

Incoming Transfer
Fee; Free Transfer, Signed From; Free Agent; Salary; £950 p/w

My first signing for the club is a big one in my own humble opinion! Bagging 31 year old ex Oldham, Sunderland and Barnsley centre back, Jean-Yves M’Voto, has to be seen as a major coup! The big, strong, French centre back still has some fantastic defensive stats and could definitely be one of the first names on the teamsheet throughout this season!

friendlies.jpg

I jiggled the friendlies around a little, cancelling next month’s games after the draws for the two cup competitions were made. Instead, I added in games against Barnet and Hayes & Yeading into August. It’s fair to say our pre season got better as it went on, although the results against Aston Villa and Peterborough were not awful, with both sides being considerably stronger than us! Worth noting that we outplayed Peterborough as well and were unfortunate to lose. We finished the friendlies by giving Hayes & Yeading a proper hiding as we whacked them for double figures!!

hayes result.jpg

Danny Newton came off the bench to steal the show against Hayes and yeading as he scored an incredible 6 goals in 23 second half minutes!! Let’s hope he can carry that form into the competitive games next month!!

tactic.jpg

I did some tinkering with the tactics through the friendly games, trying different things with different lineups, but this is the favoured tactic I am likely to start the season with. Depending on which players start, they have different personalised roles setup, offering me different tactic approaches with more or less wide play, flair, structure and bravery/strength….players will likely be picked depending on opposition, with tactical tweaks made throughout the season as we tailor my best viewed approach to each game.

sep.jpg

Next month we’ll start our season with two cup games, before kicking off the league campaign against Newport County. A couple of home games to start the league off will hopefully give us a platform for a decent start.

1605434026940.png

Danny Newton

September 2020

coker retirement.jpg

Ben Coker had made the decision to retire from playing professional football after that season long injury he picked up last month. I still think he would have plenty to offer next season, so I’ve asked him to reconsider.

Carabao Cup – First Round
Brentford vs Stevenage

Formation; 4-1-2-3 Wide, Mentality; Cautious
Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, R.Hutton, R.Vincelot (L.Lynn 82), E.Osborne, J.Smith, E.List, J.Aitchinson, D.Newton (I.Effiong 82)

brentford.jpg

Even the fact that our Championship opponents went down to 10 men early on, we were still no real match for them as they still managed to outclass us for large portions of the match. At 1-0 down, Elliott List did find the back of the net for us, only for the goal to be ruled offside. If that had stood, then maybe we may have seen a different result here, but as it goes we crash out of the league cup at the first round stage.

coker retires.jpg

Despite my best attempts to convince him otherwise, Ben Coker has stuck with his original decision and retires from professional football. A bitter blow for me to take at such an early stage of my career.

Papa Johns Trophy – Group Stage Matchday 1
Northampton vs Stevenage

Formation; 4-1-2-3 Wide, Mentality; Attacking
Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin (T.Vancooten 45), J.M’Voto (S.Cuthbert 45), L.Prosser, R.Hutton, R.Vincelot, E.Osborne (J.Smith 74), A.Read, E.List, J.Aitchinson, I.Effiong*

northampton.jpg

What a result to kick off the Papa Johns Trophy as we hammer Northampton at their place, with Inih Effiong banging in a hat trick on his first competitive start under my reign.

preview.jpg

Before the League Two season kicks off, we take a quick look at the pre-season preview. The bookies fancy us for a mid table finish and we’re at 20-1 odds to win the title. None of our players make the media’s dream eleven, which does include 3 players from Salford and 3 players from Tranmere Rovers. Considering they apparently have 3 of the best players in the league though, Salford are expected to struggle and finish in the bottom half of the table….I’m not convinced the bookies have this one right.

Sky Bet League Two - Matchday 1
Stevenage vs Newport County

Formation; 4-1-2-3 Wide, Mentality; Positive
Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, R.Hutton, R.Vincelot, E.Osborne, A.Read, F.Akinwande, J.Aitchinson (A.Oteh 74), I.Effiong (D.Newton 61)

newport.jpg

Not an ideal way to start the league campaign, but I can’t help but feel a little hard done by on the opening day as two of their goals were absolute bangers from well outside the box that we had no chance of stopping! We certainly aren’t going to concede goals like that every week, and our performance from the perspective of our own play was decent enough.

Sky Bet League Two - Matchday 2
Stevenage vs Port Vale

Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser*, R.Hutton, R.Vincelot, E.Osborne, A.Read (J.Smith 64, E.List, J.Aitchinson, D.Newton (I.Effiong 64)

vale.jpg

A solid defensive display as Vale struggled to create any significant chances throughout the game, but we had the same problem at the other end as we lacked some conviction in the final 3rd. The game fizzled out to a bore draw and wasn’t the easiest on the eye!

webber.jpg

Incoming Loan
Signed From; Wigan, Wage Contribution; £425 p/w (100%)

After the injury and retirement of Ben Coker, I urgently needed to add a new left back to the squad. Welcome 21 year old, Patrick Webber, who joins us for the season from Wigan. He definitely looks good enough on paper to have an impact at this level.

Sky Bet League Two - Matchday 3
Cambridge United vs Stevenage

Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin (R.Hutton 74), J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, P.Webber, R.Vincelot, E.Osborne, A.Read, E.List (T.Marsh 45), J.Aitchinson, D.Newton (I.Effiong 45)

cambridge.jpg

Well that was absolutely dreadful!! Cambridge are one of the clubs tipped to battle relegation this season and they simply walked all over us! I’m going to have to seriously think about my tactical setup before the next game!

league.jpg

Fair to say it hasn’t been the best of starts for me as we only managed to take a point from our opening 3 games. It’s still early days though and in the words of D:Ream, ‘things can only get better’.

Player of the Month
Luke Prosser (CB)

prosser.jpg

Luke has been our most consistent player during the opening month of the competitive season, only failing to score a match rating above seven on one occasion from five games. He even chipped in with a goal against Newport.

october.jpg

An extremely busy month next month and I’m sure the eight games in October will shape the way our season is going to go. If we can chalk up 3 or 4 wins from the 7 league games, we should finish the month up in the mid table area which I’ll be satisfied with.

1605446911339.png

Luke Prosser

October 2020

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 4

Grimsby Town vs Stevenage
Formation; 2-4-3-1 Wide, Mentality; Attacking
Lineup; J.*******, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, E.Osborne, R.Vincelot, P.Webber, T.Marsh, F.Akinwande, J.Aitchinson, E.List (D.Newton 53)

grimsby.jpg

A change in formation didn’t bring around a change in results as we suffer defeat again at the hands of Grimsby as my poor start continues…I’m not going to be winning the fans over very quickly at this rate and I wonder how long it will be before they start getting on my back, if we can’t pick up some results and fast!

reyes.jpg

Incoming Transfer
Signed From; Free Agent, Transfer Fee; Free Transfer, Salary; £2.8k p/w

Although I brought in Patrick Webber last month, he was still the only natural left back in the entire squad, so it was important I added another. Samu de los Reyes was available on a free and I’m delighted to snap him up as he’ll likely replace Webber straight in the starting eleven. He becomes one of the highest paid players at the club upon arrival, so let’s hope he proves to be worth it.

Papa Johns Trophy – Group Stage Matchday 2
MK Dons vs Stevenage

Formation; 4-4-2, Mentality; Cautious
Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser (R.Marshall 90), S.De los Reyes, E.Osborne, R.Vincelot, A.Read, J.Aitchinson, D.Newton (I.Effiong 83), E.List

mk dons.jpg

I switched up the formation again here, deciding to experiment with the flat 4-4-2, taking a cautious and direct counter attacking approach. It worked for us as we gave a solid performance against our League One opponents earning a draw in 90 minutes. They took the bonus point by winning the shootout, but even that I can’t complain at as we tucked away 9 perfect penalties before goalkeeper Jamie *******’s miss.

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 5
Oldham vs Stevenage

Formation; 4-4-2, Mentality; Cautious
Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin, J.M’Voto (S.Cuthbert 81), L.Prosser, S.De los Reyes, E.Osborne, R.Vincelot, A.Read, J.Aitchinson, D.Newton, E.List (M.Dinanga 81)

oldham.jpg

I stuck with the same tactical setup that had produced a much improved performance against MK Dons and I felt confident going into this game against struggling Oldham. However, my confidence was misplaced and me team couldn’t replicate any kind of decent performance….we were poor, very very poor!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 6
Stevenage vs Morecambe

Formation; 4-4-2, Mentality; Very Attacking
Lineup; J.*******, L.James-Wildin (S.Cuthbert 45), J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, S.De los Reyes, E.Osborne (T.Marsh 45), R.Vincelot, A.Read (C.Carter 63), J.Aitchinson, D.Newton, E.List

morecambe.jpg

It was sh*t or bust for us here as we desperately needed to get a first win of the league season on the board. So I went all out attacking with the 4-4-2 formation in the hope that we could actually put the ball in the back of the net a couple of times after scoring only twice in our last 5 games. However, despite our ultra attacking setup, we only managed a measly 4 shots on goal, whilst Morecambe managed 15 and again we suffer defeat! Nothing is working for me at the moment and I look doomed for only a short spell at Stevenage if things continue this way!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 7
Stevenage vs Harrogate Town

Formation; 3-2-2-1-2 Wing Backs, Mentality; Positive
Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, J.Smith, C.Carter, F.Akinwande, I.Effiong, D.Newton

harrogate.jpg

Another new tactic is applied after the underwhelming performances against Oldham and Morecambe with the 4-4-2. We were the better side for large periods here against newly promoted Harrogate, but still couldn’t manage all 3 points! We were so close, but a lack of concentration in the final minute allowed our opponents in behind to nick an equalizer.

fa cup draw.jpg

The FA Cup first round draw pits us against fellow League Two side, Bradford City.

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 8
Exeter City vs Stevenage

Formation; 3-2-2-1-2 Wing Backs, Mentality; Attacking
Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, T.Vancooten, L.James-Wildin, P.Webber, R.Vincelot, A.Read, J.Aitchinson, I.Effiong (E.List* 68), D.Newton

exeter.jpg

Oi oi, we’ve only gone and won a bl**dy league game!!! A good performance here as well against a side expected to finish in the playoff places this season!! To say I, delighted and relieved as **** would be an understatement. Let’s hope we can kick on from here!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 9
Salford vs Stevenage

Lineup; J.*******, T.Vancooten, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser (S.Cuthbert 58), R.Hutton, P.Webber, R.Vincelot, C.Carter, J.Aitchinson (A.Read 58), I.Effiong, M.Dinanga (D.Newton 58)

salford.jpg

After our first win, I’d have loved to have kept the same lineup, but changes were required as we only had 3 days between games! I don’t know if it was all the changes or the fact that Salford are just a very good team, but never got going here and were dominated from start to finish! Very disappointing after picking up our first win, but we go again!

league.jpg

A really disappointing month which saw us only pick up 1 league win, leaves us sitting in the relegation zone alongside Barrow. Fair to say it’s been a pretty awful start for me here at Stevenage….I’m just hoping that in years to come, we’ll look back on this and say ‘I can’t believe I had such a sh*t start’!

Player of the Month
Jean-Yves M’Voto (CB)

mvoto.jpg

It’s another centre back that takes the POM award again. M’Voto hasn’t been fantastic by any stretch of the imagination, but he is certainly the best of a bad bunch.

november.jpg

We desperately need a win against Mansfield before going into the two cup games next month. When we return to league action (assuming I’ve not been sacked by then), we have a bottom of the league clash with Barrow which is a must win, before a run of 3 home games where we have to use that advantage to put some more points on the board.

1605472510074.png

Scott Cuthbert

November 2020

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 10
Stevenage vs Mansfield

Lineup; J.*******, T.Vancooten, S.Cuthbert, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes (P.Webber 84), R.Vincelot, A.Read, F.Akinwande (C.Carter 64), I.Effiong, D.Newton (E.List 64)

mansfield.jpg

We kick off November with another defeat and things are looking pretty bleak now with only 1 win in 10 league games to our name. We’re just being completely outclassed by other teams in this league and at the moment, we simply look like we don’t belong! I’m trying hard to get the best out of these players, but they simply don’t seem good enough!

FA Cup First Round
Stevenage vs Bradford City

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, R.Hutton, P.Webber, J.Smith, A.Read (C.Carter 48), J.Aitchinson, I.Effiong (E.List 48), D.Newton

bradford.jpg

We put up a brave effort against a team that is performing much better than us this year. We gave Bradford a fair game and this one could have gone either way in all honesty, but they had the luck of the draw on the day.

Papa Johns Trophy – Group Stage Matchday 3
Stevenage vs Southampton U23s

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert (L.Prosser 82), J.M’Voto, R.Marshall, E.Osborne, S.De los Reyes, R.Vincelot, C.Carter, J.Aitchinson, E.List, D.Newton

southampton.jpg

We crash out of the Papa Johns Trophy after falling to defeat to Southampton’s youngsters here. We were in front and looking good for at least a draw, until The Saints bagged two goals in the last 10 minutes to steal the win and knock us out. A disappointing final few minutes to what had been a competitive game!

papa johns group.jpg

Confirmation of our final group standings in the Papa Johns Trophy.

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 11
Stevenage vs Tranmere

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, P.Webber (R.Hutton 64), J.Smith, A.Read, J.Aitchinson, E.List*, D.Newton

tranmere.jpg

Tranmere came into this game in 21st, only a couple of places above us, so the match had to be seen as a must win for us! I stressed the importance of the game to the lads and it seemed to fire them up as we turned in the best performance of the season so far. We were all over Tranmere from start to finish and recorded a comfortable victory (which should have been by more as we had 2 goals disallowed and missed some golden opportunities as well).

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 12
Stevenage vs Cheltenham

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, P.Webber, J.Smith, A.Read, J.Aitchinson, E.List, D.Newton

cheltenham.jpg

What a boring game this was for all supporters in attendance. Both sides only managed 7 shots between them in the whole game as they played out a 1-1 draw.

fans poll.jpg

After the Cheltenham game, I saw something knocking around social media that I really didn’t want to see. It seems that more than half of Stevenage fans want me out of the club already!

board confidence.jpg

And it seems the board are not exactly pleased with my performance either. I have to question if my days are numbered…

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 13
Stevenage vs Colchester

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, J.Smith, C.Carter, J.Aitchinson*, I.Effiong, D.Newton

colchester.jpg

There were strong rumours prior to this game that if I lost, it might cost me my job! After begging the players for a performance in the pre match teamtalk, they duly delivered and we record our 2nd win in 3 games! Have we turned a corner in the season? Could this be the start of the revival?

league.jpg

A better month in the league sees us move out of the relegation places and hopefully we can build on our current 3 match unbeaten run and start to move up that table!

Player of the Month
Jack Aitchinson (AMC)

player of month.jpg

Jack Aitchinson is my player of the month and he also lands the young player of the month award in League Two as well. Well done son!

dec.jpg

Eight league games scheduled for December and we’ll be looking to build on our recent form and lift ourselves away from the relegation battle and in amongst mid table!

1605961879313.png

December 2020

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 14
Crawley Town vs Stevenage

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, J.Smith, C.Carter, J.Aitchinson, E.List, D.Newton

crawley.jpg

Well that little unbeaten run we was building soon came to an end. Crawley were too good for us and we were never really in this game. A poor start to the month and it heaps the pressure back on me after I’d managed to relieve it a little at the end of last month.

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 15
Stevenage vs Walsall

Lineup; B.Johnson, T.Vancooten, S.Cuthbert, L.Prosser, R.Hutton, S.De los Reyes, J.Smith, A.Read, F.Akinwande, I.Effiong, D.Newton

walsall.jpg

Wallsall are below us in the league, so we had to fancy it here. However, again we are below the standards I expect and only walk away with a single point, which really isn’t good enough in our current situation! Confidence is low and it’s clear for everyone to see!

20 games in.jpg

12 losses in my opening 20 games in charge really isn’t good!!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 16
Barrow vs Stevenage

Lineup; B.Johnson, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, R.Hutton, P.Webber, A.Iontton (J.Smith 83), A.Read, J.Aitchinson, I.Effiong, D.Newton (E.List 83)

barrow.jpg

A visit to bottom of the table Barrow was just what we needed to get back to winning ways….or so I thought! Absolute p*ss poor from my lads this was and in the end we were lucky to take a point as Barrow should have scored in the final minute to take the win, missing a clear cut chance at goal when one on one with the keeper!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 17
Forest Green vs Stevenage

Formation; 3-2-2-1-2 Wing Backs, Mentality; Balanced
Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, A.Iontton (J.Smith 70), A.Read, J.Aitchinson, I.Effiong, D.Newton

forest.jpg

Where on earth did we pull that from?? I don’t know and I don’t care!! A fantastic result against a team in the top 6 on their own ground…GET IN!! Result of the season so far without a doubt!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 18
Stevenage vs Oldham

Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, T.Vancooten, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, A.Iontton, A.Read, C.Carter (J.Smith 48), I.Effiong (E.List 60), D.Newton* (F.Akinwande 76)

oldham.jpg

Well, well, would you look at that! After beating 6th placed Forest Green, we follow up with victory over 7th placed Oldham! Could this be the point in the season where we genuinely turn our form on it’s head! Danny Newton was absolutely sensational today as he bagged a hat trick, taking his goal tally into double figures for the season!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 19
Morecambe vs Stevenage

Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, R.Vincelot, T.Vancooten, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, A.Iontton, J.Smith, C.Carter, I.Effiong, D.Newton

morecambe.jpg

Maybe we haven’t turned that corner just yet?! Considering the last two results, this was simply unacceptable and the lads got the hairdryer treatment after the game and I’ll be looking for a reaction in our next game!

Sky Bet League Two – Matchday 20
Port Vale vs Stevenage

Lineup; J.*******, S.Cuthbert, J.M’Voto, L.Prosser, L.James-Wildin, S.De los Reyes, A.Iontton, A.Read, C.Carter (J.Aitchinson 70), I.Effiong (T.Marsh 61), D.Newton

port vale.jpg

We were robbed here and totally didn’t deserve to lose this game. Port Vale scored with their only shot of the game, whilst we created 12 chances but couldn’t find the back of the net. We missed some good opportunities, including Tyrone Marsh hitting the post when one on one with the Vale keeper in the 80th minute.

meeting.jpg

This isn’t good!!

resigns.jpg

During my meeting with the board, it was clear that their expectations of me were totally unrealistic and not something I felt we could achieve this season. Clearly there has been some serious underachieving since I took over at the club, the board are convinced I’ve lost the dressing room, and so we took the mutual decision that I should resign from my position to avoid being sacked.

Fair to say that my first venture into FM21 has been an underwhelming one, but I’ll be back with a new challenge and a new story in the near future.