Downing ponders Riverside future

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
Winger Stewart Downing admits may be driven out of Middlesbrough by his critics.

More...

Downing is one of the best players at boro, looking through the team with the exception of Jonathan Woodgate there isn't anyone else that stands out. Downing does have his critics and I ain't one of them. The lad is lacking confidence and I put the blame on the critics but also on Gareth Southgate. Why put your best crosser of the ball upfront? its absolute ludacruis. Downings main attributes are his crosses and his dribbling, the attributes of a winger not a forward. The team as a whole is playing really bad and I don't believe Southgate is the right man for boro, he doesn't seemed to be able to motivate the players, yes we do have injury problems but losing Viduka and selling Yakubu(Keith Lambs fault not Southgates) and bringing in Aliadiere and Mido is shooting yourself in the head. Tuncay Sanli the same player who scored a hat-trick against Man Utd in the Champions League needs to start playing, Downing was chosen ahead of him upfront against Villa which is stupid. Southgate needs to give Tuncay an extended run in the team upfront seen as Mido is injured, put Downing left wing and tell Downing to prove these critics wrong which he can do.

Also Southgate needs to go

No player should ever be boo'd. Once the match starts you need to support every single player.

Oh and James, Arca is Middlesbrough's best player by a long way. :wub:

Needs to be playing in a better team tbh.

no this team can pull their collective fingers out of their collective ***** and start playing properly! and if we're in the bottom 3 by xmas southgate has to go.

I think Southgate should defo go but he'd prob do ok stayin as a coach, cos he aint really fit to manage anywhere. And yeh Downing is one of your best players and the boo-boys should get behind him and the team

Murali boro are in the bottom 3 now and our next game is arsenal. Tuncay scored which is a bonus yesterday.

i know....i watched match of the day james...