Drogba backs Toure over drug test

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 2K
Well I didn't mean specifically this one thread but a fair point, those are some general opinions I have read on the various Toure threads on this site and in general on the internet.

also isn't refusing to take/ missing a drug test worse than showing up and being found to have taken a diet pill? Debatable though I know.

40% of people on diets probably don't need them. Think teenage girls, it's all subjective
not, its the same. unless he can prove it was totally unavoidable on his part. he fails. rio turned up two hours later to take it, but he wasnt there at THIER time = he failed. The rules are brutal, but very well known

Seems very strange that he would be on diet pills, but it was a stupid mistake and his naivety has to be punished by the letter of the law. You have to feel a bit of sympathy towards the guy, but hopefully this will be an example to all sports professionals. You have to take every precaution when ingesting something like that.

not, its the same. unless he can prove it was totally unavoidable on his part. he fails. rio turned up two hours later to take it, but he wasnt there at THIER time = he failed. The rules are brutal, but very well known

Ok, why was Rio late? I'm sure I read he simply forgot, that's not unavoidable? Granted neither is taking a diet pill but from a logical point of view, taking a pill that provides no gain to his performance is surely not as bad as forgetting to show up?

To simplify it, showing up and admitting a mistake is surely better than not showing up? It seems harsh that Kolo could be banned for any longer than Rio was using that logic

Ok, why was Rio late? I'm sure I read he simply forgot, that's not unavoidable? Granted neither is taking a diet pill but from a logical point of view, taking a pill that provides no gain to his performance is surely not as bad as forgetting to show up?

To simplify it, showing up and admitting a mistake is surely better than not showing up? It seems harsh that Kolo could be banned for any longer than Rio was using that logic
they make no distinction unless toure admits guilt, then he might get a smaller ban 7 instead of 8 months. even if he can prove it wasnt his fault he may still be banned

Did you not read what i said above...

Its not always what pill has been recovered by the drug sample either, if there is a drug that is listed as prohibited by WADA then if found, sanctions occur. Although it is also known that many drugs and combinations of drugs can cover up more serious doses of P.E.D's, which is why the matter is judged so seriously (even with pills that may not look advantageous) due to various methods previously being used by professional sports players.

^^ THAT is why Kolo is being stung by it.

they make no distinction unless toure admits guilt, then he might get a smaller ban 7 instead of 8 months. even if he can prove it wasnt his fault he may still be banned

Fair. Which is strange, as most rules in sport seem like they were created without common sense :/ Even 8 months for Rio missing a DT that he later showed up for and was clean is harsh.

Interesting thought though - what's admitting guilt? Admitting to taking it knowing it was a banned substance? It's just he can't deny taking it as it was in his system. Assuming no evidence comes out to add to the intentional fire, any ban more than a few months seems extremely tough.

Well I didn't mean specifically this one thread but a fair point, those are some general opinions I have read on the various Toure threads on this site and in general on the internet.

also isn't refusing to take/ missing a drug test worse than showing up and being found to have taken a diet pill? Debatable though I know.

40% of people on diets probably don't need them. Think teenage girls, it's all subjective

But we're talking about a professionally footballer, he wouldn't off been playing the sport for years if he was over-weight.

I'm sure he's not a paranoid teenage girl, worried about how fat he is..

But we're talking about a professionally footballer, he wouldn't off been playing the sport for years if he was over-weight.

I'm sure he's not a paranoid teenage girl, worried about how fat he is..

...ook, well even if there was a universal weight set as 'overweight', as I said before, it's subjective. Kolo might of felt he was a bit fatter than he wanted to be, nowhere does it say 'Kolo Toure believes himself to be obese'. Wanting to be thinner doesn't make you fat...

and I know he's not a teenage girl (nobody said paranoid?), but everybody at one point has worried about their appearance, its not limited to teenagers of any gender and certainly isn't off limits to a sports star.

Your post was incredibly stupid.

Did you not read what i said above...
^^ THAT is why Kolo is being stung by it.

Actually I didn't read it, I was obviously replying and missed it. Fair enough thats why Kolo is being punished at all, but apart from that nothing is intentionally breaking the rules or giving himself an advantage. Its like his punishment is 'just incase' rather than 'because you did this' bla bla

Last edited:
...ook, well even if there was a universal weight set as 'overweight', as I said before, it's subjective. Kolo might of felt he was a bit fatter than he wanted to be, nowhere does it say 'Kolo Toure believes himself to be obese'. Wanting to be thinner doesn't make you fat...

and I know he's not a teenage girl (nobody said paranoid?), but everybody at one point has worried about their appearance, its not limited to teenagers of any gender and certainly isn't off limits to a sports star.

Your post was incredibly stupid.

I wasn't at one point disagreeing with you, I was simply laughing at him wanting to take a dieting pill, he's quite a good player without having to take one of those, I personally don't think he took one, I think he's talking ****..

Interesting thought though - what's admitting guilt? Admitting to taking it knowing it was a banned substance? It's just he can't deny taking it as it was in his system. Assuming no evidence comes out to add to the intentional fire, any ban more than a few months seems extremely tough.

Admitting guilt is pleading guilty and having no "trial" as such.

Aye, harsh system but is intended to be because of the potential to abuse it.

Feel sorry for Toure (as I felt sorry for Paddy Kenny), but players are warned about this kind of thing so they can't say 'I didn't know I have a responsibility to make sure that whatever goes into my body isn't likely to result in sanctions'.

Just about the Ferdinand thing, the reason why he got banned for so long was that he made no attempt to contact testers and they couldn't contact him. If he'd been eg stuck in traffic on the way, then that's not an issue as long as he can make contact to let them know what's happening (happened to other players and no ban followed).

Aye, harsh system but is intended to be because of the potential to abuse it.

Feel sorry for Toure (as I felt sorry for Paddy Kenny), but players are warned about this kind of thing so they can't say 'I didn't know I have a responsibility to make sure that whatever goes into my body isn't likely to result in sanctions'.

Just about the Ferdinand thing, the reason why he got banned for so long was that he made no attempt to contact testers and they couldn't contact him. If he'd been eg stuck in traffic on the way, then that's not an issue as long as he can make contact to let them know what's happening (happened to other players and no ban followed).

I thought Rio generally forgot he had a drugs test, until it was too late, by the time he contacted them, the deadline had passed?

I thought Rio generally forgot he had a drugs test, until it was too late, by the time he contacted them, the deadline had passed?
im not too sure, i dont think he realised just how serious it was to miss a drugs test.

Zeb, agreed about the warnings, in fact the FA warned the players again in november about the dangers of supplements etc having the potential to contain banned substances

Yeah, but that's the key thing - he was out of contact when he was due to be tested. If he'd been contactable and was able to say 'Doh, I forgot, on my way now', then he'd have been unlikely to have faced any sanctions. Reason for why the sanction is so harsh for not being in contact at least at the time of a test is that it's to prevent people masking or flushing substances out of their system. Don't disagree with those who said the punishment was exceptionally harsh, but it's done that way for a reason.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

im not too sure, i dont think he realised just how serious it was to miss a drugs test.

Zeb, agreed about the warnings, in fact the FA warned the players again in november about the dangers of supplements etc having the potential to contain banned substances

Crazy isn't it? I mean at least some allowances are made for the level of football etc. But for a player at a professional club where they have a club doctor, medical facilities, even dietary instructions and advice, there really is little excuse no matter how dumb the mistake is.

Back