NDKennedy

Reaction score
Hiya,

Been playing FM a long old time and have found FM16 one of the most agreeable in that it seems to avoid the plug and play destroyer tactics and push for tinkering.. YMMV on that, but I have enjoyed evolving some tactics and finally have 2 that I'm really with.

I play as Arsenal - Only trailed with them; It's 2022 and most of my team are wonder kids rather than established super stars.

Both are attacking, V. Fluid formations that I think represent some real life tactical formations...

Drunk Attack

View attachment 143054 View attachment 143047

I can see similarities between Drunk Attack and the way that Germany have lined up at the Euros this year - Ie one More dominant attacking fullback, one wider forward with a creative front man supported by a forward aiming to exploit space.

View attachment 143053

The midfield is slightly different as it eschews the 'Quarter back' role of some like Kroos in favour of two inventors, one who looks to fill the space left by the wide attacker and more defensive full back and one sits a little closer to the defensive midfielder.

The Right full back gets A LOT of assists, the goals are spread pretty evenly across the attacking 5 (The CF, AMC, AML and the 2 APs) with those players also contributing to additional assists.

View attachment 143050

Vitruvian Attack

View attachment 143052 View attachment 143048

The Vitruvian attack has similarities with the formation that Italy and Wales have put out at the Euros; A 3 man defence - A central, rock solid CB flanked by 2 more ball playing defenders. The midfield is a 6 with the wide positions populated by defensive wingers - In this case I have used retrained full backs for tighter games but with the option to play more traditional wingers where it looks like we'll be on top.

View attachment 143051

The central midfield is similar to the Drunk Attack - 2 APs (Both support in this instance) with a DLP in a defensive, central position- The balance is a traditional defensive midfielder protecting the back 3 and distributing with the APs holding their positions a little more (I find if one player is more suited to the role he will be more attacking).

Ahead of them in an Attacking midfielder who fills the space between the Centre forward and central APs. With this formation I have found the CF scores the bulk of goals with the assists coming from across the midfield (Unlike the broader distribution of goals in the Drunk tactic).

I use Assistant team talks to start, no OIs and I take team talks at 1/2 time and FT. Often in game I will use aggressive encouragement or Passionate demand more.

In terms of suitable players: Pace and technique across the board where possible.

Drunk - the front 3 should be creative, pacey and have good mental stats - Composure, decisions etc. The Right fullback needs an engine, a lot of pace.. despite the number of assists he gets from crosses I haven't actually been playing a wonder crosser.. Crossing attribute is 14.

One centre back needs passing and great mental stats, the other can be more traditional. Generally I've found this tactic to be superb defensively - Against good opposition I'd advise dropping it from Attack to Counter or control but that needs experimentation depending on your own team.

The midfield needs at least 1 creator (On the left of the 3) and a big, strong guy for the central role - the right hand AP can be pretty standard although I lean towards technical, creative types.

Vitruvian - 2 Pacey Centre backs to flank a more traditional warrior type. The midfield needs a pair of passers, a destroyer and a player with great movement and vision to sit behind an all rounder CF, he will get chances so heading and finishing combo is a must.

View attachment 143049

The wide players I prefer to be able to go up and down a'la Italy's Euro tactic - so a Florenzi type or a more buccaneering type that has Work rate.

View attachment 143046View attachment 143045

3 games with Tottenham - 3 wins (3-0 City, 4-0 Middlesbrough, 2-0 Liverpool). Right fullback (Walker/Trippier) is blowing stuff up ;D
4th game... was leading 2-0 against Leicester by 13th minute...lost 2-3 ;D Vertonghen made some mistakes that cost me that game...
Using Drunk Attack.

Last edited: