-Dundee FC Deducted Points-

ravenie

Reaction score
Scotland's Dundee FC deducted massive 25 points

GLASGOW — Scottish First Division side Dundee received a massive 25 points deduction for entering administration, officials announced on Monday.
The Scottish Football League (SFL) also hit the club with a player registration embargo and the governing body said Dundee's position would be reviewed if they were not out of administration by March 31.
Dundee are set to appeal but, if the deduction stands, it means they will plummet from fourth in the table on 14 points to bottom on minus 11 points -- a huge 20 below current basement club Morton at the foot of what is the second tier of Scottish football, below the Premier League.
SFL chief executive David Longmuir said his organisation had to take action after Dundee, who are now set to be relegated to the Second Division, went into administration on October 14 after being unable to pay a tax bill which stood at 420,000 pounds (672,475 dollars).
"The SFL regrets the situation Dundee Football Club find themselves in for the second time in seven years," Longmuir said.
"We are fully aware of the impact this situation has had on all concerned, especially players, staff and fans of the club.
"The SFL has a duty to protect the integrity and the ongoing smooth running of the league.
But Dundee administrator Bryan Jackson, who made nine players and management team Gordon Chisholm and Billy Dodds redundant, slammed the SFL punishments as "outrageous," and promised the club would appeal against the sanctions.
"I shall be appealing this decision by the SFL as I think that this is an outrageous punishment for the club.
"With almost guaranteed demotion from the First Division it will be much more difficult to attract investment or retain players.
"This could also ultimately affect the income of other First Division teams as we will be unable to attract a good away support if there is nothing to play for."
"Everyone involved at DFC is working hard to ensure that the club survives this administration but this penalty makes that situation much more difficult."
He added: "Whilst I appreciate that the SFL had to be seen to act when the club fell into administration for the second time, it is questionable whether this punishment is not ultimately self-defeating by threatening the continued existence of the club."
Back in 1962, before Glasgow giants Celtic and Rangers enjoyed the monopoly of the title that has become common in recent seasons, a Dundee side featuring Scotland striker Alan Gilzean were crowned Scottish champions and in the following season, the Dark Blues reached the semi-finals of the European Cup.

I did not write this thing above me.

I am so gutted, I feel this is really harsh and I felt I haven't supported the team long enough. We used to sing Dundee till I die, but now it may be Dundee til they die.

We should have been promoted but we screwed up :(.

Terribly sad news,

I hope they find there feet soon or we could lose one of Scotlands biggest clubs

I think we spent too much money last season on attempted promotion, we threw it away :'(

25 points is way to harsh. means there is a likely possibilty that a team that deserves to be relegated isnt't and Dundee (who were 4th before points deduction) may be relegated instead.

An absolute disgrace, 25pts is totally shocking....The SFL should hang their heads in shame

Thanks for your support to a fan (one of several) in distress.

Is it me or does 25 points seem extremely harsh, when Pompey only got 9 points?

I think we spent too much money last season on attempted promotion, we threw it away :'(

Really should never have sacked Jocky Scott...If he had kept his job Dundee would defo be in SPL

Is it me or does 25 points seem extremely harsh, when Pompey only got 9 points?

Yeah that's what I thought. But the deduction is about as bad as Scottish football so. At least Pompey played well :wub:

I find this pretty disgusting really. They must be having a laugh at 25 points...

Maybe if the punishment is harsh then clubs/owners might actually learn not to overspend and cripple the club by amassing debt?

Don't worry Nixon, I'm sure we'll still finish above you :p

Yeah disappointed the way it's been handled financially.

to be fair, Chester were deducted 30 points, but yeah, not a good time for Dundee :S

To be honest, you should just be thinking about avoiding liquidation for now. Yes, it's harsh, but league position isn't the priority at the minute (at least, I think :$)

really bad news. Feel so sorry for the poor fans and also for the people who have been/ will be made redundant. ****** economy :(

:'( Would be possible to stay in the league but all our good players will leave in Jan.

I think the Scottish FA/League took issue with DFC for 2 reasons. First it's the second time in 7/8 years that they have gone into administration. Second this has happened 3 months into the season and so they couldn't relegate them, as it would have messed up the League. If this had happened off season or near the end, you can guarentee DFC would have been relegated to Div 3.

While it's a shame for the fans who have had no control over this (didn't the fans group have somebody on the board?), like other teams, did you complain when you were signing these players and thought you were going to get promoted? I certainly wasn't when my team where in the CL and we thought it was going to be year after year, but we (Leeds) paid the price. Getting relegated twice, selling all of our players and still having to pay some of their wages. Losing good youth prospects on the cheap. (Scott Carson, Danny Rose and Aaron Lennon to name a few). We have virtually have had to start again, and thats what DFC will have to do. It will be a long hard slog, but I feel DFC have the fans to do it. If you survive administration of course.