Duzzy

Reaction score
Duzzy's 5-3-2 Van Gaal

View attachment 330328

Duzzy's 5-3-2 Van Gaal tactic

On FM15 my aim was to create a good tactic for my favourite team (Man Utd). I thought I'd try out the 5-3-2 Van Gaal is famously known for using. Pre season went rough as the tactic wasn't fluid yet but as soon as the season got under way, the tactic proved to be a success.

Baring in mind this is the 1st season and no additional 'star' signings were made it's fair to say this tactic got good results out of the United team available. This is my first tactic upload so please bear with me.

The Tactic(s)

5-3-2 WB Attacking

Fluid team shape with Attacking Mentality

View attachment 330327

The attacking tactic is the one I used throughout the whole season. I very rarely went counter attacking.

Instructions
View attachment 330322

Pre Season Training:
View attachment 330323

During Season Training:
View attachment 330324

5-3-2 Counter

Structured team shape with Counter Attacking Mentality

View attachment 330325

This tactic was just a plan B for the matches I knew I wouldn't get much out of.

Instructions

View attachment 330326

Player Roles:
GK - GK Defend
CB's - Central Defenders (Defend)
WB's - Wing back (Auto)
CM's - AP(Attack), DLP (Defend), AP(Support/Attack)
ST's - Defensive Forward, AF, Treq

Player Instructions:
Goalkeeper - Default
CB's - Default
WB's - Get Further Forward, Cross from Deep, Run Wide, Cross Less Often
CM's - Default
ST's - Default, Trequartista - Hold up Ball, Cross Less often

2014/15 Season Results

Home Results

View attachment 330214

Looking at the home results you have to admit that I managed to make Old Trafford a fortress once again with this tactic. Only giving away one draw out of 26 games and only conceding 9 times at home is pretty good considering the defenders I have are not exactly world class.

Away & Neutral Results

View attachment 330213

My Away results aren't as impressive as they are at home but they are still strong. Only losing 4 competitive games and drawing 3 out of 25 games is good and also conceding only 18 goals is pretty good too. Don't ask me what about in the Sunderland and QPR matches. I don't know myself.

League Standings

View attachment 330212

Download Link:
Duzzy's 5-3-2 Van Gaal Atk
Duzzy's 5-3-2 Van Gaal Counter

Download file and place in Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2015\tactics

*This tactic was created by me without any other help from other tactics people have already created so if it looks similar then I'm sorry.*

Last edited:
your tactics are different when u download it

do u use counter for away games and attack for home games

doesn't show up when i go to import
It should be a .tac file which you should place into your tactics folder in sports interactive/football manager 2015

do u use counter for away games and attack for home games
ive only ever used the counter tactic away twice. Against Man City and Chelsea. I haven't won with the tactic because the attacking one has done so well I haven't need it. It's just there for you to try out with smaller teams if needed.

your tactics are different when u download it
not sure what you mean. I changed the link a while ago as the files were .mf but now they should be .tac

That's right. i've downloaded your tactic. And in the attacking version ia have 2 poachers, not like in te screenshot in the OP.

That's right. i've downloaded your tactic. And in the attacking version ia have 2 poachers, not like in te screenshot in the OP.

I have player instructions which I guess doesn't go across, my bad. One striker should be a Defensive forward(rooney), the other a poacher. Change around with the striker roles if you want. I've had some off days with the strikers and AF and Treq have worked for me as well

Had some problems when using my 5-3-2. But after I downloaded yours, I am on a run. Winning with 1-4 goals. And I get a lot of clean sheets!

So.. So far it works fantastic, thank you!

Had some problems when using my 5-3-2. But after I downloaded yours, I am on a run. Winning with 1-4 goals. And I get a lot of clean sheets!

So.. So far it works fantastic, thank you!
Nice to hear it's working :)

Fantastic tactic. Made progress my Juventus side. For the STCr i Put Tevez on Advanced forward and his alternative will be Koman. On STCL I'll put Giovinco as Trequarista. With this run at defence Ti it has dribble through the middle with his agility,and speed, and make chances. If Llorente will recover for his Injury I'll try to make him as a Target man....but don't think he will fit.

Anyway, thx for the tactic. Good work.

It should be a .tac file which you should place into your tactics folder in sports interactive/football manager 2015

ive only ever used the counter tactic away twice. Against Man City and Chelsea. I haven't won with the tactic because the attacking one has done so well I haven't need it. It's just there for you to try out with smaller teams if needed.

not sure what you mean. I changed the link a while ago as the files were .mf but now they should be .tac

yeah thats exactly what i did lol hmmm lemme see if i can figure this out! haha

Had a great run with this tactic...was having a bit of a hard time getting consistent results. With this, I went on a bit of a hot streak and beat Man City away from home 3-0, then in the final of the Carling Cup 1-0. The only problem I'm going to have is that I bought a lot of young wingers for the tactic I was using previously :mad:

SKIZZo408-would u recommend this tactic for a championship team.THANKS

SKIZZo408-would u recommend this tactic for a championship team.THANKS

Just started my second season with Man Utd, and I've started having a hard time keeping clean sheets. Tied 1-1 at home to Crystal Palace, then 1-1 away at Chelsea. Now I just won 3-2 at home to Villa.

Championship team should work but you definitely need the right personnel I think to get the best...but that's the same with all tactics. I've been using James Wilson up top with Rooney/Barbosa in behind and they have both been scoring a good amount.

download tactic has 2 poachers, nothing like in any of the screenshots :eek:
As I said before, it was a mistake on my half as I had player instructions. Defensive forward for one and AF or Treq for other striker should do well considering you got players able to play in those roles.

Hello Duzzy,

I'm french so i can't understand everythings what you're writting but i've understand the screen are different to tactic (i can see that with screenshots) can you upload the new tactic whith a new link please?
I can't use translator for many FM words to the french language

Thanks for understand :)

PS: Tell me what roles i can put for my strickers (i'm playing with french team : Toulouse) for a little team what roles can we use?

Last edited:
Hello Duzzy,

I'm french so i can't understand everythings what you're writting but i've understand the screen are different to tactic (i can see that with screenshots) can you upload the new tactic whith a new link please?
I can't use translator for many FM words to the french language

Thanks for understand :)

PS: Tell me what roles i can put for my strickers (i'm playing with french team : Toulouse) for a little team what roles can we use?
I have updated the link. Striker positions should be DF and AF now. Duzzy's 5-3-2 Van Gaal Atk

For Toulouse I'd have poacher for Ben Yedder and Deep Lying Forward for Braithwaite.

Thank you very much

I'll try it, i'll give you my results here

Thanks for the tactic :)

PS: For braithwhaite, deep lying forward attack or support?

Last edited: