Reaction score
First of all i apologise if there is a relevant thread for this,but i have done a dxdiag report as my FM has started to go a bit slower than usual.anybody any suggestions
dx report is included

How much is a bit slower?

to avoid slowups in mine I do a disk defrag, and shutdown any background apps I don't need. I also do a disk cleanup aswell-basic sping clean if you will. I also do the old task manager thing by changing the game priority to high. Also best to make sure drivers are up to date aswell.

May help

what kind of background apps do u closedown?
i have ccleaner would that help at all in any way? sorry im not very comuter minded hence the reason this may sound daft to you guys.

what kind of background apps do u closedown?
i have ccleaner would that help at all in any way? sorry im not very comuter minded hence the reason this may sound daft to you guys.

CCleaner is handy for getting rid of registry's from uninstalled games-you can get files left behind.

for example I used to use Norton 360 (big mistake) as AV software as it was an absolute resource hog and slowed it down, so i just switched it off while playing until I switched to Microsoft essentials. but not everyone is comfortable doing that. I also close down Explorer aswell, then just put it back on via task manager when I'm finished playing. Have a look in the processes tab on the task manager and see what you don't need to run. When I first did it I was very surprised by what percentage of memory was used by other programmes. Like right now Google Chrome is using over 128k worth of memory.

Basically the smaller the RAM, the more the processor will struggle. Especially if a laptop is being used that is fairly old. Also Windows 32 bit isn't as good as windows 64 bit as even though you can have more RAM than necessary, not all of it will be available in Win 32 bit (I won't get too technical about that part as it's....technical lol)

Last edited:
On a side note, if you decide to close explorer, to get it back up and running simply open task manager, click on "File", New Task "Run", then type in Explorer (in case you are unsure about it-I didn't know about it for a couple of years...*cough*) then you're back to normal

CCleaner is handy for getting rid of registry's from uninstalled games-you can get files left behind.

for example I used to use Norton 360 (big mistake) as AV software as it was an absolute resource hog and slowed it down, so i just switched it off while playing until I switched to Microsoft essentials. but not everyone is comfortable doing that. I also close down Explorer aswell, then just put it back on via task manager when I'm finished playing. Have a look in the processes tab on the task manager and see what you don't need to run. When I first did it I was very surprised by what percentage of memory was used by other programmes. Like right now Google Chrome is using over 128k worth of memory.

Basically the smaller the RAM, the more the processor will struggle. Especially if a laptop is being used that is fairly old. Also Windows 32 bit isn't as good as windows 64 bit as even though you can have more RAM than necessary, not all of it will be available in Win 32 bit (I won't get too technical about that part as it's....technical lol)

Hmm,well i use avast as my security and firefox is my browser,so u reckon i should turn off avast and dont use firefox whilst playing then more or less?

Tbh I've never used Avast myself so I don't know if it's a hog or not. If you feel safe enough to not use it while playing give it a try. Try playing it offline to try it if you want to be safe. It's definately worth trying it with explorer deactivated to see if there's an improvement-I don't tend to use browsers unless I'm looking up a player name or something then I just close it down immediately aftewards.

another factor to remember aswell, is the further you progress in a game, the more players will enter the games database. So if you play with a large database, about 4-5 seasons in, it'll be a lot larger aswell. forgot to mention that before.

ive noticed adobe takes up quite a bit of use should i close that whilst playing? yeh i have seen a diffrence with firefox off so far so heres hoping..

ive noticed adobe takes up quite a bit of use should i close that whilst playing? yeh i have seen a diffrence with firefox off so far so heres hoping..

I would tbh-I always close that down when gaming