Easier than expected

Tohammer

Banned
Reaction score
I'm only playing the demo and started my first save with West Ham with a d/loaded 4-1-2-2-1 and it was ok but not creating much so I looked at the preset tactics and went with a 4-2-3-1 gegenpress. The only thing I changed was to make sure no players were taking long shots and I went on a brilliant run that left me 5th at the end of the demo.

I then gave the same tactic a go with Arsenal and i'm flying, although I have just lost my first match in the league after 7 straight wins(1-2 away to Liverpool in a game i dominated)

There are a few in game tweaks I've also used, but just basic stuff like going more attacking which actually seems to work.

Only one real issue is that the amc role appears useless so i'm toying with the idea of dropping the amc back into an mc position and see how that goes.

It almost seems like SI have added these tactics this year to actually work, unlike previous versions.

I am still playing the Demo and the above tactic still works wonders with "Big Clubs". Its the same ME as the full game so there's no reason it shouldn't work for everyone.

The reason I've brought this up again is that I keep reading that people are still struggling with Big Clubs yet a simple pre-set tactic can solve this.

The only changes i've made are telling players individually to reduce long distance shots and although I have kept the "get stuck in" instruction I have individually unticked every players "tackle harder" instruction.

It is predominantly plug and play but there are a couple of things that a simple tweak will fix when things are not going your way. The first is when you find yourself struggling for goals against "park the bus" sides and to combat that I found that tweaking the defensive line to "lower" one click under standard/normal brings teams out a little and gives you more space to attack(you must also tweak the line of engagement in the same manner)

You could also get yourself some solid attacking and defensive set play routines, I haven't bothered in any of my tests and I still find it easy to win with big clubs, so adding these can only improve your success.

The only thing I cant promise is that "second season syndrome" will not kick in in the following season as I can only play to the 22nd December.

I forgot to mention "Complacency". If you find yourself being pegged back after taking a good/big lead make sure its not because your players have become complacent. I have to check via the shouts at the start of the second half because I can no longer view this at my half time team talks like in previous versions(might be my fault and not the games)

Make sure you give the "demand more" shout to those who are complacent and that should be another problem solved.

Also, personally I never use oi's and although I do my own team talks I tend to say as little as possible and will only get involved if I am confident of a good reaction from my players.

Did you keep all the roles as they originally stand, and removal of take long shots, and tackle harder from PI but leave get stuck in as TI, might try it with Newcastle

Did you keep all the roles as they originally stand, and removal of take long shots, and tackle harder from PI but leave get stuck in as TI, might try it with Newcastle

The only thing I changed was the tackling. I changed it to stay on feet based on having so many yellow and red cards in my Chelsea test. I have been toying with dropping the def line and line of engagement to standard as balls over the top are a worry with poorer teams.

If you try it with Newcastle let me know and i'll do a Newcastle test next and we can do a comparison.

Oh, I did add the set piece routines from the "USA style tactics", I never usually change from the default in any FM but this years defaults are a complete mess.

I would appreciate you giving it a go

Last edited:
Table and results with Cardiff

Nothing spectacular but if you consider Cardiff's squad and lack of any real quality its about the best I could expect.

None of this counts for anything of course if it only works for half a season so would need testers to try it for at least 2 seasons.

Will post the minor tweaks shortly

I will look at using it when I play FM19, I amonly using hte demo at present, not convinced the new game is worth me picking up until it goes down in price and I am invested in a long term FM18 save, but i'll get the Newcastle one set up, and maybe just Holiday the season, see how it fares as an initial test, then replay the season with me making tweaks

I will look at using it when I play FM19, I amonly using hte demo at present, not convinced the new game is worth me picking up until it goes down in price and I am invested in a long term FM18 save, but i'll get the Newcastle one set up, and maybe just Holiday the season, see how it fares as an initial test, then replay the season with me making tweaks

Yeah i'm also on the Demo, was hoping someone would try it on the full game for at least a couple of seasons tbh.

I've just started a Newcastle test, will update...

so can't screen shot as I am just on holiday, but by 22nd Oct 2018 Newcastle are 11th, no changes ot staff, no changes ot personnell, changed the Deg line and engaged line to Standard before my holiday

In my humble opinion it will not make you a success, but the GenGen press, with the def line and the Engagement line altered ot Standard, is agood base ot start from, bearing in mind my holiday menat no tactical tweaks as the season, went, we stayed up, so it is a decent template unlike some previous template tactcs SI gave us

In my humble opinion it will not make you a success, but the GenGen press, with the def line and the Engagement line altered ot Standard, is agood base ot start from, bearing in mind my holiday menat no tactical tweaks as the season, went, we stayed up, so it is a decent template unlike some previous template tactcs SI gave us

Whilst I appreciate your opinion I must respectfully disagree and this is why............

You asked me to run a test, I ran a test and have posted the results, also you can't say you appreciate an opinion and then post information which in your opinion disproves the opinion posted, that in itself is disrespectful,

I could have Posted, ran a Demo post, finished 13, the above tactic sucks, I did not do that, out of respect for the author I posted, that although it had not worked wonders it was a solid tactic, I know now not to bother responding to posts by yourself, or use my time to run tests to help you prove or disprove a point.

Now to stop being polite, respectfully Disagree all you want, Newcastle finished 13th, no scorer over 10 goals, I spent the whole Season in the Demo on holiday take from that what you will, you apparently only want the results that prove your point